"Some standing here will not taste death..."?

  • Thread starter Thread starter timeandeternity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timeandeternity

Guest
There is a passage–I think in John–where Christ says, “There are some standing here who will not taste death before the Son of Man comes again in glory,” or something along those lines. (Sorry, I don’t have my Bible with me right now.) I’m assuming that unless there’s some person we haven’t heard about who’s lived for the past 2000 years, Jesus meant something else, and I’m just not understanding this passage. Help?
 
There is a passage–I think in John–where Christ says, “There are some standing here who will not taste death before the Son of Man comes again in glory,” or something along those lines. (Sorry, I don’t have my Bible with me right now.) I’m assuming that unless there’s some person we haven’t heard about who’s lived for the past 2000 years, Jesus meant something else, and I’m just not understanding this passage. Help?
Hi. You found a toughie in Matthew 16:28.

I’ll refer you to this earlier thread that asks and provides insight to this one.

It appears that many Protestants see this verse as something else that supposedly supports sola scriptura, based on a Google search.
 
There is a passage–I think in John–where Christ says, “There are some standing here who will not taste death before the Son of Man comes again in glory,” or something along those lines. (Sorry, I don’t have my Bible with me right now.) I’m assuming that unless there’s some person we haven’t heard about who’s lived for the past 2000 years, Jesus meant something else, and I’m just not understanding this passage. Help?
Notice that the transfiguration occurs in the very next set of verses where Peter, John and James saw Jesus in his glory 🙂
 
Notice that the transfiguration occurs in the very next set of verses where Peter, John and James saw Jesus in his glory 🙂
here as elsewhere also reincarnation is shown as being accepted by some Jews and others as the only way to forgiveness and redemption - twinc
 
“Coming in his kingdom” is the earthly evidence of Christ’s soveriegnty after he ascended to heaven and took his seat at the right hand of the Father. The earthly evidence was the coming judgment that destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple, which happened within the generation he was speaking to. It was a manifestation of his rule.

Jesus said to him in reply, “You have said so. But I tell you: From now on you will see ‘the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Power’ and ‘coming on the clouds of heaven.’” (Mt 26:64)

The Sanhedrin didn’t directly see Christ ruling, but they saw the earthly evidence of it when God’s judgment came through the Romans. It is similar to the Lord riding on the swift cloud of the Assyrians to destroy the Egyptians (Isa 19:1). The fulfillment of this at the end of the Old Covenant world prefigures and points to Christ’s final coming in glory at the end of the entire world.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top