Some Things I've Been Thinking about Lately

  • Thread starter Thread starter runner93
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

runner93

Guest
Being a teenager, my life is filled with things out of my control. College is a year and a half away from me. I see myself as undateable and I’m nervous about college. I know that I’m doing my best to try and find a college that I know where I can resist temptations (which I will do anyways) but I don’t want to go to a hard-nosed Catholic college. I just came out of a bout of depression last spring and I’m starting to feel it coming back again. Is it because I’m Catholic or other reasons for my troubles? I have not lost faith, it just is breaking me down mentally.
 
It is the stress finally getting to you runner, no other reason then that, I am at the exact same point as you, but i’m across the pond i think over in the UK. The stress will eventually get to anyone, speak to a good counselor, your problems may not be spiritual, just physical and mental due to the stress, a common (yet severe) sign of stress is depression, I’m sure your College/High School with have a counselor you may speak to, see if discussing this with another person face to face helps you get over it, i can not say this will work for sure, but my college says if you feel at all stressed and feel like its getting to you, you should go and see the therapist/counselor who will help you get it off your chest, and help you relax.
 
It is the stress finally getting to you runner, no other reason then that, I am at the exact same point as you, but i’m across the pond i think over in the UK. The stress will eventually get to anyone, speak to a good counselor, your problems may not be spiritual, just physical and mental due to the stress, a common (yet severe) sign of stress is depression, I’m sure your College/High School with have a counselor you may speak to, see if discussing this with another person face to face helps you get over it, i can not say this will work for sure, but my college says if you feel at all stressed and feel like its getting to you, you should go and see the therapist/counselor who will help you get it off your chest, and help you relax.
Yes I agree, it is the stress.
 
Surely the reason you have been feeling stressed and a bit depressed is not because you are Catholic! I agree with previous posters to talk to someone you can trust about your problems which should hopefully help.

I remember feeling stressed as a HS junior and senior and talked to my priest who is also a good family friend. I felt stressed about choosing the right college and wanted to choose a place where my faith would surely grow and where I could make great friends with similar beliefs. Before talking to my priest I was only considering Catholic colleges but he also encouraged me to consider state schools with strong Newman Centers. It seems that many Newman Centers are better than the Catholic colleges I was considering who are Catholic in name only.

Some people say that ‘your HS years are the best years of your life’ but rest assured that the best years are yet to come. Try not to be too anxious and know that God has great plans for you!
 
Yes I agree, it is the stress.
I personally find the best way to relieve stress is do some kind of volunteer relief work whether it be hunger relief or cold relief. It gives gratitude which alleviates stress.
 
I don’t want to go to a hard-nosed Catholic college.
I didn’t know they had any. You’ve given me reason to hope.

🙂

dj

Why do you think your problem (depression?) is related to being Catholic? It seems you have your faith related in some way to a privation. Or am I reading you wrong?
 
Your stress and depression is certainly not because you’re Catholic.

However, it could be because you have laid unbearable burdens on yourself.

I’m not offering any kind of psychological or medical advice, just telling you about my own experience.

There are times when I have started to despair of ever finding a life that I’ll be happy with “because I’m Catholic”. When I take a step back and evaluate what I mean by that, I realise that what I have actually become is someone who is seeking refuge in a set of rigid practices and devotions which I have adopted as a coping mechanism, but which I know are actually not serving their purpose, i.e. not making me more open or more thankful to God, and not leading me to where I know He wants me to be in my life, i.e. joyful, fulfilled, loving others and serving Him.

The Catholic faith is all-embracing. That doesn’t mean you can do what you like, but it does mean that God has a plan for you that encompasses not only your devotional life but every aspect of life, including joyful times with friends, being productive in your work and studies, joyfully discerning a vocation to marriage (if that is your call) and having a fulfilled life. You don’t need to go to a hard-core Catholic college to be doing God’s will (though of course it’s good to consider where you will best avoid serious temptations, and best grow in your faith), and you don’t need to be sitting alone in the sanctuary praying 20 rosaries a day either. Don’t allow ‘being Catholic’ to be an excuse for being withdrawn, morose, old-fashioned or judgmental, Our Lord deserves better witnesses to His grace than that 😃 As John Paul II kept exhorting young people - Courage! Do not be afraid!

The spirituality of St Francis de Sales may be of interest to you. St Francis’ whole teaching was that you can do the will of God in whatever form of life you are called to, in whatever place providence puts you. And that ‘you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar’ 🙂
 
To relieve the stress, if it’s about college, is to visit several campuses before making a decision. See if they have a Newman Center. Ask students what they social life is like.
No, your depression isn’t because you are Catholic.
 
I didn’t know they had any. You’ve given me reason to hope.

🙂

dj

Why do you think your problem (depression?) is related to being Catholic? It seems you have your faith related in some way to a privation. Or am I reading you wrong?
Christendom College, very Catholic, a bit too much for me.

Where I live, in the Bible Belt, you are targeted for not being Baptist. That’s how my nerves are frayed.
 
You do not have to go away to college - you can attend a juco or community college for a couple of years, get your prereqs out of the way and save some $$$$$$.

Then, when you are ready, find a college with FOCUS on campus.

Don’t put false stress on yourself. There is enough of that after you grow up and have a job and a family.
 
You do not have to go away to college - you can attend a juco or community college for a couple of years, get your prereqs out of the way and save some $$$$$$.

Then, when you are ready, find a college with FOCUS on campus.

Don’t put false stress on yourself. There is enough of that after you grow up and have a job and a family.
Yeah, I wouldn’t bring up the job and family part yet…

dj
 
Christendom College, very Catholic, a bit too much for me.

Where I live, in the Bible Belt, you are targeted for not being Baptist. That’s how my nerves are frayed.
Sounds like you need a guide for how to live with Baptists. There must be several. Living in Boston, we put up with liberals and Red Sox fans – don’t have much experience with Baptists. If they’re anything like RS fans you have my sympathy.

(Go Yanks!)

dj
 
Learning how to TALK to non-Catholics and why you believe what you believe will be a huge help.

There is the Beginning Apologetics course available from our hosts (at the shop link above). I’d also suggest you buy a copy of the “New Catholic Answers Bible” - and start studying it. Carry it and a paperback of the CCC in your bookbag.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top