Some thoughts on my "I'm leaving Catholicism" topic

• Thread starter Thread starter TheDefaultMan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheDefaultMan

3 days ago, I made a topic called “I’m leaving Catholicism” because I wanted to outline my philosophical objections to the Church’s teaching on the Trinity. I didn’t think there would be so many who would view it and who would comment on it, and I am grateful to everyone who participated in the discussions. More specifically, I would like to thank @Theban, @OrbisNonSufficit, @Wesrock, and many others who charitably engaged with my arguments. I did not think that, at the end of the day their counter-arguments were successful. Nevertheless I must give credit where credit is due.

I will no longer comment or respond to any posts as I have been doing so for 3 days straight. It will still be left open, and anyone is free to respond to what I’ve said already.

My thoughts are that

A ) I do not think that, at the end of the day, the counter-arguments succeeded. Most of the counter-arguments hinged on the concept of relational distinctions which I argued, if real, entails an ontological distinction, which could not exist in an Absolutely Simple God. There were also counter-arguments that explored very strange notions that I’ve never heard before. I’ve never seen responses and counter-arguments so dissimilar. It was fascinating.

B ) I found it very odd that more than half of the people who responded did so by appealing to Divine Revelation (which is odd because I made it clear that I rejected it). This saddened me more than anything else because, usually, Catholics are quick to say that their faith does not contradict reason. And yet they are dangerously close, in my view, to the protestant view known as “presuppositionalism”, which presupposes that Divine Revelation is true when arguing against skeptics. This is notoriously fallacious, and the Church itself seems to be harsh in its condemnation against it.

and C ) I think both sides, my side and the side of some (but not most) of the apologists arguing against me, should have been more charitable. On my end, I was too quick to be rude and cold when presenting my arguments and my counter-arguments. I should’ve made it more clear that I do not hate the Church or hate Catholics, and that I have nothing but respect for what the catholic Church has done. On their end, there have been many people who have claimed that I was somehow arrogant for trying to point out contradictions in God, stating that I just don’t understand him and that human reason is just feeble. Not only does this, as I have already mentioned, move dangerously close towards presuppostionalism, it is also an insult to thousands of years of the Catholic intellectual tradition, which has spent years of intellectual effort to making sense of God and pointing out logical contradictions in heresies.

I hope everyone has a good day, and I hope we could all learn something from my topic thread. 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that that topic is still open, so posting here is actually really pointless. I also believe that your arguments are not that great which argue in favour of your decision. By the way, you are aware that a lapsed Catholic is still a Catholic, right? I read some of the things you said, I am not convinced that your decision is philosophical. Nonetheless, I can’t read your heart and I can’t read your soul, but your salvation is in Jeopardy, outside the Church, there is no salvation.

(http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_P29.HTM) what makes me the most suspicious, is you announcing it. People come in and out of the Church every day. I would be less suspicious, if you said something along the lines of and put it for the title, “I’m doubting”, but you didn’t.

Well, I heart-ed the post above because I agree with your points about conversation itself. Of course, I am quite sad that you will be leaving us but that is your decision to make. We ought to follow conscience, and I hope that we all keep forming it to be better and better, and perhaps one day we will be in agreement once more.

I think it would be worth to look at the original post while it is still open. Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed the conversation and it renewed my interest in this topic and in this deep theology. Thank you for that.

That’s too bad, because I think there were still more to be said, but I can understand that you want to cut the conversation when it’s at almost 400 posts.
Hopefully you will not completely disregard the idea that Christianity could be true, surely you can agree that there might be some way to reconcile the apparent contradictions, even if you can’t find it now.

I thought it was an interesting conversation, and your points have given me much to think about, even though I still don’t think the Trinity contradicts the Divine Simplicity.

I hope everyone has a good day, and I hope we could all learn something from my topic thread
For my part, I wish you nothing but the best too. I think you and I were talking a bit past each other, but that’s ok. In the end, if ipsum esse subsistens does exist, I imagine it will all be ok.

Most of the counter-arguments hinged on the concept of relational distinctions which I argued, if real , entails an ontological distinction, which could not exist in an Absolutely Simple God.
This is just a collection of words to challenge the mind to think, search for something greater.

What purpose can be so great, that it would compel God to create the universe and life, knowing in advance that his son would die?

Can there be a truth so great, that possibly even God could do nothing greater?

Here is a childlike and yet profound way to test the power of the greatest commandments; when looking for a purpose for the creation of the universe and life.

Before the creation of the universe began, imagine God the Father, Son and Holy spirit looking out into the vast empty void of space. They are thinking, we have the power to create anything we want, what is the greatest good thing that we can create?

God could create all the stars and planets and be the supreme builder. He could create plants; and be the unsurpassed gardener. God could create the animal kingdom; and be the best farmer. God could create children in his own image and be the greatest father. Can God create anything greater than children in his own image?

God could love each and everyone of his children as he loves himself. Could God love us more than he loves himself?

Could there be any greater purpose for God to create the universe and life?

We are given the greatest commandments to love as God loves, can we do anything greater?

Sorry to hear. Did not see the original thread, but the real distinction of Persons is, while subtle, certainly coherent. PM me and I will be happy to walk through the teaching of St. Thomas with you on it. In the end, the relations are real, while the distinction of essence is not - so the category of “ontological distinction” is off. In fact, it’s important that it is not, for seeing how the Trinity is God, the all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving… For example, the Father is more “father” than a human father precisely because His act of generation of the Son is so perfect that what He is is what He generates - an essential replication, the perfect act of power.

I repeat: words, disputation, argumentation, logic all fail. If they succeeded, we would all be of one mind.

As we see, that is not so.

When the quarantine is lifted; when the parishes are re-opened for public worship (some indeed already are) I issue this challenge - on the sole condition that you are serious in your search for truth.

Go before Christ in the Blessed Sacrament. Sit, Ponder. Contemplate. You can grasp the concept of God. Any resistance you bear to the Reality is purely intellectual and interior. Ah, but the intellect can be enlightened, as can the spirit.

Sit before Christ - even though you may be incredulous. Tell Him of your doubts - silently or even expressed in human language - He speaks all of them. Express your current inability to believe in One God in three Divine Persons.

Then, be as patient with Him as He has been with you. When the Holy Spirit consoles you, and you become aware that Christ is there, you will be changed.

40.png
adamhovey1988:
By the way, you are aware that a lapsed Catholic is still a Catholic, right?
That’s semantics.
We believe it’s an ontological reality and a real, not logical, distinction. 😁 😉

We cannot know the Trinity outside of Divine Revelation, so there’s that. No point in arguing with you about it then.
You said you have been arguing with people for 30 years about it. Sounds like its time to give it a rest.

We believe it’s an ontological reality and a real, not logical, distinction.
I think bringing it up to a Catholic who is leaving doesn’t serve much of a purpose.

Last edited:
I left the church for reasons silmilar to yours. After a lot of studying and conversations with theologians from different traditions I came to the conclusion that I simply couldn’t sign under on the dogmas of the church.

One nature with 3 persons, or one nature expressed as 3 persons. It’s not 3 parts making a whole but rather one whole and the activity of that whole is revealed as 3 persons. It’s not a composition in same sense as a physical composite. God cannot be broken down in to smaller parts and is absolutely simple in that sense; but we can find in the divine activity of God the distinction of 3 persons. The rest is a mystery.

Last edited:
All true.

Honestly, I walked away very early on: It seemed clear at the outset that none of us were going to tell OP anything he hadn’t already quickly rejected, and it was clear to me that OP was always going to be the smartest person on the thread…to himself, anyway.

…and he still is! He’s now made a separate thread so people can talk about his other thread without him even being there, after he got in some “last licks” how no arguments convinced him!

Sorry, I’ve better things to do with my time than endlessly listen to an unbeliever tell us how unconvinced he was of everything anyone said to him.

Editing to add: it’s not just that he wants to tell us how unconvinced he is. Now, he wants us to talk among ourselves about how unconvinced he was. Sheesh, that’s about the most arrogance I’ve seen around here in a lot of years.

Last edited:
Jesus gave us the Spiritual Works of Mercy. It is an act of mercy. Just as Jesus said to go and sin no more.

And yet they are dangerously close, in my view, to the protestant view known as “presuppositionalism”, which presupposes that Divine Revelation is true when arguing against skeptics
That isn’t the problem, the problem is that usually doubters and unbelievers seem to be open to “rationalism” and “debate”, yet when we present them logical theological theories, they won’t believe them; even if we bringed them an Angel who explained to them our belief with symbolic syllogisms, they would not believe, and would cling to a personal conjecture.

So, normally, the only way for the unbeliever to believe is to encounter Christ directly, through prayer, through seeking; but, first, for them to do that, the posters have to take out the unbeliever from his hyper-rationalism, hence the apparent “fanatical” responses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back