Some tips? I guess

  • Thread starter Thread starter Struggleslolss
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Struggleslolss

Guest
Hey guys, I finally have the guts to open up about some of my problems here, before i actually get professional help lol. So, I concluded that I have extreme scruples. It’s to the point where I can’t do normal everyday things without my scruples making it an extreme chore. Like, lets say I’m minding my business, doing normal things anyone my age would do, intrusive thoughts get into my head making me do things way outta my comfort zone. The thoughts are like “If you don’t do this you’ll be bad…” and the like. If I don’t do a certain thing, my scruples make me do things like, say an extremely long prayer to drive evil away, constantly say “I will never be evil” until everyone around is has had enough. So yea, scruples basically ruined my life haha. Yesterday, my scruples wanted me to say an extremely long Catholic prayer, which I would normally do, if it wasn’t late and if I wasn’t worn out by scruples (my scruples would also make the prayer wayyy longer than it already is) so I acyually brought myself to fight the urge. The downside is, its been bothering me the whole day. I was supposed to say the prayer today, but I’m afraid that my scruples will kick in and keep me up past 12 again. Any tips on fighting scruples? Just enough tips to help me before I get my Therapy?
 
Put an extreme emphasis on simplicity in your life. Don’t imagine God to be distant, making you guess what he wants of you. You serve him as your only God, he watches you as if you were his only child. Have the mind of a child. Don’t worry about making it enough, or being good enough. Ask God in few words for his grace, then do everything you do in a true, hopeful, simple spirit, doing no evil deeds.
(Though it may seem unrelated, I would recommend to you Peter Kreeft’s book Prayer for Beginners. It was very helpful to me)
 
First off welcome. Secondly, that’s a huge step in just knowing you do suffer from scrupulosity. My guess is you also have OCD. And yes, therapy will help with the OCD. For the scrupulosity, the best way to overcome it is to speak with your own parish priest, tell him all this and be guided by his counsel. And stick to him and only him for your confessions. Going to more than one, will possibly lead to confusing advice and therefore worsening scruples. This also gives the same priest an idea as to how severe your scruples are, and he will be able to advise and guide you appropriately. He’ll also be best placed to answer your questions.

It’s also positive you realize they are intrusive thoughts - that’s a good step.

Keep your prayers short when that compulsive feeling overcomes you - Jesus, help me. Or, Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner.

Scruples makes one attempt the impossible - due to the feeling ones efforts aren’t good enough, done right, pleasing to God etc etc. God does not expect the morally or physically impossible.

If it is bothering you the whole day, say the prayer through once and leave it to the Holy Spirit to make up any perceived shortfall in your best effort. Unless you deliberately say a prayer badly, half-heartedly, there is no sin.

Books to read/buy:-

Pardon and Peace by Fr Alfred Wilson C.P.
Various books are linked to in this article

Scrupulosity—A Beginner’s Guide - resources are at the bottom of the article.

The Doubting Disease Help for Scrupulosity and Religious Compulsions

Scruples and Their Treatment by Father William Doyle

Pardon and Peace on Amazon

Pardon and Peace from AbeBooks
 
Last edited:
I have no opinion for you wrt therapy.
Talk to your priest, he should be able to help.
Talk to your priest about how grave matter is enumerated in the Catechism, all things that constitute grave sin, and talk to your priest about that if we avoid grave matter, then all other sins are automatically forgiven /venial. We are in full communion and ought to enjoy every Mass, and every part of our life, all other things being equal. Your priest will help you.
 
Hey guys, I finally have the guts to open up about some of my problems here, before i actually get professional help lol. So, I concluded that I have extreme scruples. It’s to the point where I can’t do normal everyday things without my scruples making it an extreme chore. Like, lets say I’m minding my business, doing normal things anyone my age would do, intrusive thoughts get into my head making me do things way outta my comfort zone. The thoughts are like “If you don’t do this you’ll be bad…” and the like. If I don’t do a certain thing, my scruples make me do things like, say an extremely long prayer to drive evil away, constantly say “I will never be evil” until everyone around is has had enough. So yea, scruples basically ruined my life haha. Yesterday, my scruples wanted me to say an extremely long Catholic prayer, which I would normally do, if it wasn’t late and if I wasn’t worn out by scruples (my scruples would also make the prayer wayyy longer than it already is) so I acyually brought myself to fight the urge. The downside is, its been bothering me the whole day. I was supposed to say the prayer today, but I’m afraid that my scruples will kick in and keep me up past 12 again. Any tips on fighting scruples? Just enough tips to help me before I get my Therapy?
With such scrupulosity you should talk to your priest and obey him.
Also do not come to these forums as some do asking if every little thing they do or don’t do is s sin.

Your priest is your first stop.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top