Son of God

  • Thread starter Thread starter Amorlinda
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amorlinda

Guest
Please, can somebody explaine me “The Oneness of God” :confused:
Thank you
 
While several libraries of books and articles have been written these past 2,000 years about the Holy Trinity - the Oneness of God - we cannot fully explain it because God has chosen to reveal what He has, and not more. It is enough for us to try and understand and accept His Revelation without asking for a better explanation. We have been told enough to know God well enough to accept Him or reject Him.

{{ Side comment: Frankly, to conclude we should reject God because He has not revealed more is quite arrogant, IMO. We would first have to convince others that we have indeed studied His Revelation quite well, and not just taking a verse or two out of context. And we would have to study up on the prior rejectors and how they were answered by top notch theologians such as St Thomas Aquinas and Blessed Pope John Paul II to name just two. Without such extensive study we really do not have a good basis to reject God, IMO. I am not saying anyone here has, just layout out a basis that seems necessary to decide honestly.}}

The Trinity is God the Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit. We acknowledge this every time we make the Sign of Cross and say, “In the name of The Father, and of The Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen”

I am no theologian so I can offer only my personal explanation. It is simple and thus misses a lot. Here is how I explain it:

We believe that there are three distinct separate PERSONS - Father, Son, Holy Spirit - in ONE God. Thus, the Oneness. They do not disagree; they are of the same substance.

We have seen The Son - Jesus Christ. We have not seen the Father or the Holy Spirit. But God has told us He exists, that He would and did send His Son to redeem us from the guilt of our sins, and that He would and has sent the Holy Spirit to guide us until Christ returns.

In a very simple nutshell we can understand that we think of God The Father one way, God The Son another way and God The Holy Spirit in a third way. But we are told they are indivisibly ONE.

To compare, again too simply, we can see a man as a teacher without ever seeing him acting as a father. We can know the man well enough to carry with us his teachings although we no longer can see him because he left the scene. But having learned his teachings, he can come back to our mind and we remember what he told us.

If we can understand how we can relate to this ONE man in three different ways, then it should be easier to understand how God can be three persons in ONE God - the Oneness of God.

My answer is too simple. But I have no reason to doubt God’s Revelation and every reason to trust in Him and commit my life to doing His Will, not mine, as best I can.
 
“If we would seek out the mystery of why love has a triune character and implies lover, beloved, and love, we must mount to God Himself. Love is Triune in God because in Him there are three Persons and in the one Divine Nature! Love has this triple character because it is a reflection of the Love of God, in Whom there are three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Trinity is the answer to the questions of Plato. If there is only one God, what does He think about? He thinks an eternal thought: His Eternal Word, or Son. If there is only one God, whom does He love? He loves His Son, and that mutual love is the Holy Spirit. The great philosopher was fumbling about for the mystery of the Trinity, for his noble mind seemed in some small way to suspect that an infinite being must have relations of thought and love, and that God cannot be conceived without thought and love. But it was not until the Word became Incarnate that man knew the secret of those relations and the inner life of God, for it was Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Who revealed to us the inmost life of God.”

Three to Get Married Ven Fulton Sheen

This work is a masterpiece. (IMHO)
 
While several libraries of books and articles have been written these past 2,000 years about the Holy Trinity - the Oneness of God - we cannot fully explain it because God has chosen to reveal what He has, and not more. It is enough for us to try and understand and accept His Revelation without asking for a better explanation. We have been told enough to know God well enough to accept Him or reject Him.

{{ Side comment: Frankly, to conclude we should reject God because He has not revealed more is quite arrogant, IMO. We would first have to convince others that we have indeed studied His Revelation quite well, and not just taking a verse or two out of context. And we would have to study up on the prior rejectors and how they were answered by top notch theologians such as St Thomas Aquinas and Blessed Pope John Paul II to name just two. Without such extensive study we really do not have a good basis to reject God, IMO. I am not saying anyone here has, just layout out a basis that seems necessary to decide honestly.}}

The Trinity is God the Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit. We acknowledge this every time we make the Sign of Cross and say, “In the name of The Father, and of The Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen”

I am no theologian so I can offer only my personal explanation. It is simple and thus misses a lot. Here is how I explain it:

We believe that there are three distinct separate PERSONS - Father, Son, Holy Spirit - in ONE God. Thus, the Oneness. They do not disagree; they are of the same substance.

We have seen The Son - Jesus Christ. We have not seen the Father or the Holy Spirit. But God has told us He exists, that He would and did send His Son to redeem us from the guilt of our sins, and that He would and has sent the Holy Spirit to guide us until Christ returns.

In a very simple nutshell we can understand that we think of God The Father one way, God The Son another way and God The Holy Spirit in a third way. But we are told they are indivisibly ONE.

To compare, again too simply, we can see a man as a teacher without ever seeing him acting as a father. We can know the man well enough to carry with us his teachings although we no longer can see him because he left the scene. But having learned his teachings, he can come back to our mind and we remember what he told us.

If we can understand how we can relate to this ONE man in three different ways, then it should be easier to understand how God can be three persons in ONE God - the Oneness of God.

My answer is too simple. But I have no reason to doubt God’s Revelation and every reason to trust in Him and commit my life to doing His Will, not mine, as best I can.
You totally out of my Question.
Sorry I didn’t mean I doubt about God.
I never ever doubt about God. I do believe in God The Father and
God the Son, and also accept God have a Holly Spirit, My Q is about the
Trinity, was born in the 4th century; out of political man power.
Is not a verse or two I read. I read and study the Bible a lot!!! And in
several languages.I also study history for years (Now, I only have the english
version, very confusing, for me, *, I am trying
to find one in Latin or Greek, so a friend suggests me to ask here, may be
somebody is nice enough to answer me without feeling attack.
Somebody stole my bag at the airport, with my Bible, (probably he needs it).
Very sorry you can not see the Love of God in every question we have, mean we care, we want to be closer to God in every breath we take. He Loves everyone, He want we learn and grow closer and closer to Him, He is not mad because we ask. When I read the Bible, first I pray to understand onIy what The Lord want me to understand. And if I am here asking Q is because the Lord want me here.
This country is great, in many ways, but in others, …not sure, I never before been exposed to so many different belief, into the same Catholics community.
I went to mass in California, I thought I was not in a Catholic Church ].
Again my Q is about the Trinity
The Old Testament or The New Testament never ever name or explained the Trinity The Bible is very self explanatory.
…and be carful …God doesn’t like we add thing He didn’t teach us

Love Bliss Abundance witn The Lord*
 
You totally out of my Question.
Sorry I didn’t mean I doubt about God. I never ever doubt about God. I do believe in God The Father and God the Son, and also accept God have a Holly Spirit,

My Q is about the Trinity, was born in the 4th century; out of political man power. Is not a verse or two I read. I read and study the Bible a lot!!! And in several languages. I also study history for years (Now, I only have the English version, very confusing, for me, *, I am trying to find one in Latin or Greek, so a friend suggests me to ask here, may be somebody is nice enough to answer me without feeling attack. Somebody stole my bag at the airport, with my Bible, (probably he needs it).

Very sorry you can not see the Love of God in every question we have, mean we care, we want to be closer to God in every breath we take. He Loves everyone, He want we learn and grow closer and closer to Him, He is not mad because we ask. When I read the Bible, first I pray to understand onIy what The Lord want me to understand. And if I am here asking Q is because the Lord want me here.

This country is great, in many ways, but in others, …not sure, I never before been exposed to so many different belief, into the same Catholics community. I went to mass in California, I thought I was not in a Catholic Church ].

Again my Q is about the Trinity The Old Testament or The New Testament never ever name or explained the Trinity The Bible is very self explanatory. …and be careful … God doesn’t like we add thing He didn’t teach us

Love Bliss Abundance with The Lord*
Peace be with you, Amorlinda. I meant no personal offense in my first answer above and apologize for any concern it generated. My side comment was meant for any readers that often too quickly try to dismiss God without adequate study. God and our relationship with Him is so important, no one should too easily dismiss Him. In no way was I thinking that you were among those who do.

I use the Bible provided by the US Catholic Bishops at www.usccb.org I think the following verses describe The Oneness of God - The Holy Trinity without stating the label we use.

John 14: 6-11
John 14: 15-26
John 15: 26
John 16: 7-15


I am sure there are other Biblical references, but I think these are sufficient to show the relationship between God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit.

I note that the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth who is to teach the Apostles - the leaders of Christ’s Church - everything and to remind them of all that Christ told them. Elsewhere in the Bible it is clear that the Apostles, in turn, are to teach the rest of us guided by the Teachings of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

I also think John 20: 30-31 and also John 21:25 support the idea that our Faith is based on more than just what is written in the Bible. Christ said a lot. Only a portion is written in the Gospels and New Testament. Everything Christ said is important. But, as it was not written down, there has to be someway we can be reminded. That way is the Holy Spirit.

I think it also helpful to consider how a number of instances arose where well meaning followers of Christ taught incorrectly and the need for an authority to hear the issue and make a decision that was binding. Please see Acts 15, especially Verse 7 and Verse 24. Peter and the Council did not add more, but rather explained what is meant and how we are to apply that teaching. See also Matthew 16: 13-19 where Christ gives Peter His authority. Over 2,000 years there have been many heresies and the Church has considered the issues and issued decisions and explanations. All under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

One such clarification was the Nicene Creed written in the 300s (the 4th century). Many followers at that time had it confused. Hence a clear statement of what we believe. The Nicene Creed acknowledges the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and is consistent with John’s Gospel above.

I understand your frustration with so many different beliefs held by so many Catholics and other Christians. I am certainly no theologian or expert. But I and many others here on the Forum try to offer sources and reasoning. Many who say something you and others find disagreeable usually just defend their view with, “Well, that’s how I see it” and little more. I can only think that many are not as well schooled in our Faith as they should be and thus often speak incorrectly.

Hence, Catholic Forums is a good place to start getting to a more reliable understanding of the Faith issues.

God Bless.
 
Peace be with you!

The answer to your question is “No”. No one can explain the oneness of God. He is a mystery.

Athanasian Creed:

we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; Neither confounding the Persons; nor dividing the Essence. For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one; the Glory equal, the Majesty coeternal. Such as the Father is; such is the Son; and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated. The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited. The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal. And yet they are not three eternals; but one eternal. As also there are not three uncreated; nor three infinites, but one uncreated; and one infinite. So likewise the Father is Almighty; the Son Almighty; and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not three Almighties; but one Almighty. So the Father is God; the Son is God; and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not three Gods; but one God. So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords; but one Lord.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top