Souls in hell

  • Thread starter Thread starter Josh316
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is. But, TBH, I’m worried about me. If the vast majority of the souls are in Hell, then I certainly will be, too. I am not an evil man and try to live a RC life faithful to the teachings of the Church, but I fail: again and again. I would certainly not be in the small minority that makes it in that scenario.

I will continue to live my life as if Elizabeth2 is right, but will continue to pray that Ridgerunner is right.
We have no knowledge that the majority of souls are in hell. But if you are baptised and trying to live a life faithful to the teachings of Jesus, receiving the Sacraments, keeping a relationship with Jesus in prayer, and trust in him you can be morally certain that you won’t go to hell. I think only those who persistantly refuse to acknowledge God in their lives have to worry, and they are probably the ones who don’t.
If you are a disciple of Jesus he had some comforting words to say to you: “Fear not little flock for it has pleased the Father to give you the Kingdom.” “Whoever follows me will not be walking in darkness.” I’m sorry I don’t have the chapter and verse. There are many comforting words in the Scriptures and if you are really afraid of hell you should search those out, and trust in God. Also read what some of the saints had to say about trust in God. God appreciates any effort we make to turn towards him.
Jesus gave St. Faustina the devotion to Divine Mercy and told her that anyone who turns to his mercy will find forgiveness. The Good News after all is the repentance and forgiveness of sins. It’s only those who don’t repent who place themselves beyond God’s mercy. The picture of Divine Mercy has at the bottom (from the instructions of Jesus to St Faustina) “Jesus I trust in You”. It’s all about Him, and His most frequent words to His followers were “Be not afraid”.
 
An apocatastasis of those in Hell is something that can not be taught, nor denied for that matter, but may be hoped for from a loving God.
 
There is. But, TBH, I’m worried about me. If the vast majority of the souls are in Hell, then I certainly will be, too. I am not an evil man and try to live a RC life faithful to the teachings of the Church, but I fail: again and again. I would certainly not be in the small minority that makes it in that scenario.

I will continue to live my life as if Elizabeth2 is right, but will continue to pray that Ridgerunner is right.
I was a bit concerned about the effect my post on hell might have on more sensitive souls. Don’t forget Jesus’ words: “There is more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety nine who have no need of repentance”.
Saint Therese of Liseux said that if she were the worst sinner in the world she would throw herself into the arms of a merciful God, like a drop of water being thrown into a fiery furnace."
This is the Good News that we’re supposed to tell others: that Jesus has died for our sins and taken on himself the punishment we deserve. That’s how much God love us. the psalmist says that “He is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.” And there’s also John 3:16 “God loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten son, so that all who believe in him might not perish but have everlasting life.”
That’s why it seems to me that other posts are right when they say that souls choose to go to hell. What we make of ourselves in this life will be frozen at the time of death. What we’ve made of ourselves that’s what we will be forever. If we reject God now it will be much harder to change at the time of death, though God’s mercy is always there.
Purgatory isn’t a second chance, it’s a place for those who aren’t ready to be in heaven, a place of purification to get us ready for heaven, which will probably be for most of us.
I think if we really could realize the seriousness of eternal life and the consequences of our choices we would make more effort to evangelize others or at least pray for them.
 
I was a bit concerned about the effect my post on hell might have on more sensitive souls. Don’t forget Jesus’ words: “There is more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety nine who have no need of repentance”.
Saint Therese of Liseux said that if she were the worst sinner in the world she would throw herself into the arms of a merciful God, like a drop of water being thrown into a fiery furnace."
This is the Good News that we’re supposed to tell others: that Jesus has died for our sins and taken on himself the punishment we deserve. That’s how much God love us. the psalmist says that “He is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.” And there’s also John 3:16 “God loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten son, so that all who believe in him might not perish but have everlasting life.”
That’s why it seems to me that other posts are right when they say that souls choose to go to hell. What we make of ourselves in this life will be frozen at the time of death. What we’ve made of ourselves that’s what we will be forever. If we reject God now it will be much harder to change at the time of death, though God’s mercy is always there.
Purgatory isn’t a second chance, it’s a place for those who aren’t ready to be in heaven, a place of purification to get us ready for heaven, which will probably be for most of us.
I think if we really could realize the seriousness of eternal life and the consequences of our choices we would make more effort to evangelize others or at least pray for them.
Agreed. I love John 3:16 :cool:

so that all who believe in him might not perish but have everlasting life."

doesn’t say so that all who live saintly lives/who do not fail/, but ALL who BELIEVE.

It seems to me that as long as you don’t turn your back on Him outright, He will not turn His back on you.

Again, I will try to live as if few get there, but pray that all do.

Thanks, your post made me feel better 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top