Sources used to determine canonicity

  • Thread starter Thread starter elaine11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elaine11

Guest
I need help with a religion question. What are the three sources used to determine canonicity?
I believe two are the new and old testament, but what is the third?
We are using the book understanding the scriptures by scott hahn.

thanks
 
Isn’t the CCC a source?

I have that book but have yet to read it. It’s one of about 40 or 50 that are vying for my attention. Are you doing this as a group?
 
this is one omy review questions for class. What does CCC stands for?
 
I need help with a religion question. What are the three sources used to determine canonicity?
I believe two are the new and old testament, but what is the third?
We are using the book understanding the scriptures by scott hahn.

thanks
The sources are:
  1. age (i.e. date written)
  2. liturgical/communal use in the early Church
  3. apostolic authorship
  4. truth
The New and Old Testaments are not sources for canonicity. Canonicity determined what the New and Old Testaments were.
 
I need help with a religion question. What are the three sources used to determine canonicity?
I believe two are the new and old testament, but what is the third?
We are using the book understanding the scriptures by scott hahn.

thanks
According to Luke T Johnson in the epilogue of The Writings of the New Testament pgs 530-548, the canonization process of Scripture consisted of the following:
  1. Composition
  2. Use
  3. Collection
  4. Selection
  5. Ratification
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top