threej_lc:
As stated in the previous post, “praying in tongues”, as opposed to “speaking in tongues”, is a gift which allows multiple people to pray directly the thought of their souls without needing to filter it into a language. So of course it sounds like jibberish, and no, as long as you are comfortable with it, it is fine. And fully endorsed by the Catholic church.
Josh
I’d like to underline the importance of the distinction.
Our parish has an active Charismatic prayer group. I joined it following a “Life in the Spirit” seminar, and if anyone is curious about the Charismatic movement, the booklet for that seminar (it’s not hard to come by) is a good resource. Our prayer group prays in tongues, and more frequently, praises, sings, in tongues, during our weekly gatherings, and does so as a group. Often, people speak out with messages that they perceive are meant for the group during its prayer and praise, or read passages from Holy Scripture they perceive are directed to the group’s attention. This never happens in tongues in our group – I’m not saying it couldn’t, but as common as praying in tongues may be with us, prophesying in tongues has not occurred.
In the Charismatic movement, the gift of tongues is ranked as the least of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Why? The primary purpose of the Gifts of the Spirit are for the building up of the community. The gift of tongues, particularly praying in tongues, is focused on the individual, giving him or her another “language” in which to worship and praise. Prophesying in tongues is best thought of as a manifestation of the gift of prophesy – a gift meant for the community – rather than of the gift of tongues. That is in keeping with the passage in Holy Scripture that states when such prophesy in tongues occurs, there WILL be someone there to interpret it.
The gift of tongues, in respect to praying in tongues, is very hard to elaborate on. When it happens, it happens, and no explanation is needed. Speaking personally, it’s not something I can turn on and off; as I said, when it happens, it happens. I had always wondered about it, but never really worried about it much. Now I know that I was right not to worry. Romans 8:26 comes to mind: “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words.” I can tell you that when it happens, I know I have prayed, and I am grateful for having been given the “unwords” to do so.
By the way, this gift is not something special for a “select” group of Christians. It’s available for the asking.
Blessings,
Gerry Hunter