Speaking Latin

• Thread starter Thread starter FDS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very disappointed that I do not read Latin. I want very much to read certain things in Latin. I would also be closer to Church then, as that is her language, even if it has been handled very badly over the past 40 years (they’ve been handling Latin more sloppily at the Vatican, it turns out…). Many of the saints knew Latin. Learning Latin would be a lovely sacrifice of love to God. I have a mind to start at some point, and the source I’ve found that looks especially promising is Baumeister’s The New Missal Latin, which uses ecclesiastical language to help the student. Perfect!

40.png
Melonie:
My understanding of Latin is limited to the handful of ancient prayers I have tried to learn out of curiosity and respect for a bygone era:

In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti. Amen

I don’t know if I even spelled those correctly. It is the Pater Noster (sign of the cross.)

I know more Greek than Latin, and more French than Greek. I consider this a mild shame, because I so enjoy the sound of prayers in Latin.
Pater Noster is the “Our Father”

Pater noster, qui est in caelis. Sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat Voluntas tua. Sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie. Et dimitte nobis debita nostra. Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem. Sed libera nos a malo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back