M
Madaglan
Guest
I was hoping there might be people here who have some experience with special education, either as parents or as educators.
I have heard that the need for special education is growing. I have thought about possibly looking into this field.
I already have a B.A. and an M.A. although neither are in education. This would be a new direction for me.
I taught high school English for a year, and while I enjoyed teaching the subject matter and found certain aspects rewarding, I found the disciplinary issues extremely problematic.
When teaching at the high school, I noticed that the learning center had a different atmosphere, and even the gentleman in charge there had a more mellow personality than that of most teachers in the classroom. He once related to me that he tried teaching in the classroom but the kids were all over the place. I myself am not very extroverted or energetic but relatively calm, and I wondered if maybe this would be a better direction for me.
Can anybody tell me what the special education field is like? If I were to go into special education, I think I would work best with students who have cognitive problems but who are not openly hostile or have violence issues. However, I do not know much about how the special education field is organized and so would appreciate guidance.
I appreciate any information you can give me! Thank you.
.
I have heard that the need for special education is growing. I have thought about possibly looking into this field.
I already have a B.A. and an M.A. although neither are in education. This would be a new direction for me.
I taught high school English for a year, and while I enjoyed teaching the subject matter and found certain aspects rewarding, I found the disciplinary issues extremely problematic.
When teaching at the high school, I noticed that the learning center had a different atmosphere, and even the gentleman in charge there had a more mellow personality than that of most teachers in the classroom. He once related to me that he tried teaching in the classroom but the kids were all over the place. I myself am not very extroverted or energetic but relatively calm, and I wondered if maybe this would be a better direction for me.
Can anybody tell me what the special education field is like? If I were to go into special education, I think I would work best with students who have cognitive problems but who are not openly hostile or have violence issues. However, I do not know much about how the special education field is organized and so would appreciate guidance.
I appreciate any information you can give me! Thank you.
.