Spirit of someone in a coma or vegetative state

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ame
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ame

Guest
My niece was born with a rare skull defect caused Crouzon’s Syndrome. This defect causes certain portions of the skull to not grow as the rest of the body and brain grow. By the time my niece was diagnosed, her skull had pressed into her brain and other organs related to her eyes causing her to be 80% blind. At age 6, she endured a very risky surgery to move a portion of the skull forward to accomodate the growth of her brain. The surgery was very successful and she went on to be a straight A student, learning Braille and competing in the Special Olympics.

On April 14, 2008, my niece endured a second surgery to move portions of her skull to accomodate growth. During this surgery, several components of the procedure were neglected or botched and during the wee hours of April 15th, we nearly lost her as she suffered the first of several massive strokes. At first, she was in a coma with very little response. Now, she is in a vegetative state. She is on a ventillator and a feeding tube. She is able to open her eyes, she can smile, cry, move her legs, and hold our hands. I miss her so much. She was such an inspirational person.

My question is about her soul or her spirit. When I spend time with her, I do not always know that she understands what I am saying or even if she knows who I am. But I tell myself that her soul is still the same and I feel her spirit. How does the Catholic Church view the soul of a person in a coma or vegetative state? Is her soul still part of her body or is it in a new state?
 
She is able to open her eyes, she can smile, cry, move her legs, and hold our hands. I miss her so much. She was such an inspirational person.

My question is about her soul or her spirit. When I spend time with her, I do not always know that she understands what I am saying or even if she knows who I am. But I tell myself that her soul is still the same and I feel her spirit. How does the Catholic Church view the soul of a person in a coma or vegetative state? Is her soul still part of her body or is it in a new state?
I am so sorry to hear about your niece, who is very much alive. A body without a soul could not smile, cry, move her legs or hold your hands.

We don’t really know how much she hear or understand, which is why it is best to treat her as if she can hear and understand you.

My grandmother who has a degenerative brain disease after multiple strokes is in a similar condition, and can blink her eyes and barely talk, but cannot move at all. She is non-responsive most of the time, but every now and then she wakes up and says a few words. She is on oxygen and a feeding tube.

What has brought me comfort in this is two different people, one of them a priest, reminding me that in her condition she isn’t capable of sin, and having had the last rites and apostolic blessing that she is bound for Heaven and will be a saint. Her suffering at this point is for the benefit of others.

I think you have a similar situation with your niece, that she is a little saint making her way to Heaven, and through her suffering is bringing graces for others each moment that she lives.
 
I visit a lady in hospital, who although conscious, cannot speak or eat and is severely mentally impaired. We pray at her bedside and talk to her as though she can hear and understand, because, we trust that God makes her aware on some level that she is still loved and cared for.

I will pray for your niece. God bless you and your family.
 
Thanks for the insight - I feel “understood” here.

When I visit with her, I often tell her that I know she is “in there” and that I’m praying for her. I also tell her that her body is making new cells every minute of every day and that her brain will heal. She is only thirteen years old and I just wonder if she is able to experience a different level of God’s presence and comfort than we are able to experience in our fully aware state. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but I tell myself that she is not as miserable as she looks because she may be able to see into a different “sphere,” so to speak.

Since this happened to her, my biggest prayer has been that her 12 healthy years on this earth will not be forgotten and that her present condition can be used by God to touch others. I imagine that her soul is alive and well, dancing, laughing and enjoying a different connection with God, but I don’t know if that concept goes along with what the Catholic church teaches.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top