Spiritual Dilemma

  • Thread starter Thread starter Afterman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Afterman

Guest
I am a baptized Catholic, and am fond of many Christian values and Catholic tradition (such as mass, praying the rosary, etc.), but I also have a great interest in and soft spot so to speak for Buddhism.

There are things that bother me about Catholicism that Buddhism resolves. Catholicism urges the use of spiritual intellect, which I am trying to use, but I worry I’m going about it the wrong way, since every time I use what I perceive to be this intellect I gravitate towards the pragmatism of Buddhist philosophy.

In the end I’m the only one who will decide what I will do about this problem of dueling belief systems in my life. Whichever I choose will ultimately change my whole way of looking at the world, if I choose either at all.

I know the members here are incapable of helping me practically, but prayers are much accepted. I myself pray everyday for general wisdom and understanding on this deep level. I hope my prayers will be answered.
 
Buddhism has a lot to offer when it comes to mindfulness, accepting suffering and compassion but it lacks God and it lacks Jesus.

Buddhism in its multiple forms acknowledges the radical insufficiency of this shifting world. It teaches a path by which men, in a devout and confident spirit, can either reach a state of absolute freedom or attain supreme enlightenment by their own efforts or by higher assistance." Nostra Aetate, 2.

What do you find most appealing?
 
It’s really hard to say at this point. I think someone would have to present a strong argument for Christianity, as well as answer some of my questions, to help. For instance, what are the benefits of committing yourself to Christ and his sacrifice on the cross as opposed to going on the journey prescribed by Buddhism towards absolute happiness for the benefit of self and others? How does Christ’s sacrifice spiritually free me from eternal suffering, and is this a superior alternative to the freedom promised by the Buddha, or are they two different ways to the same end?
 
Are you familiar with the tradtions and teachings of contemplative practice in Christianity ?

There is very much there that is parallel to the teachings in Buddhism.

Go here

Jim
 
Are you familiar with the tradtions and teachings of contemplative practice in Christianity ?

There is very much there that is parallel to the teachings in Buddhism.

Go here

Jim
A good site; thank you for the link. I especially like the True Self/False Self Index. A grounded mind is important to me. Contemplation is most fulfilling. It is in reflecting upon yourself and your state of being that you find what defines you. I do see the parallels. Both religions satisfy the basic need for peace of mind. Why do we over-think things? Why do we over-compensate? These are problems that the two religions confront in realizing the importance of attaining perfect wisdom. It would be a shame to not benefit from either at once, even if I completely devote myself to one.
 
For instance, what are the benefits of committing yourself to Christ and his sacrifice on the cross as opposed to going on the journey prescribed by Buddhism towards absolute happiness for the benefit of self and others?
I don’t know that Buddha is available to the disciple. I do not that Jesus is. A commitment to Christ is a commitment to a living person, not just an ideal.

There is a lot I like about Buddhism but the goal is Nirvana, is it not? It literally means “blown out”, stillness of mind. The goal of Christianity is union with God. They may be different ways of saying the same thing but Christ is more personal. Christ’s sacrifice will always be a mystery to contemplate but it is also a model for our embracing as well as something that then transforms us. Embracing suffering is how we transcend it even in Buddhism.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top