Spiritual direction

  • Thread starter Thread starter La_flora
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

La_flora

Guest
Can anyone answer if you are suppose to pay your priest for a spiritual direction meeting.
 
Depends on the person. Some will accept an envelope with a check in it, others will say no, it’s not necessary.
You just have to ask him.
I had a lay Spiritual Director for about 2 years, and he always accepted whatever I felt I could pay. I just left it on a side table. Some weeks I didn’t have anything, and he never cared. It was a courtesy of sorts.

But, again, just ask.
 
Ask your priest who is giving you spiritual direction. He will tell you.
 
In my life - never has been a question. Rather I have had a Spiritual Director give me money! (more than once).

Now granted as St. Paul notes the worker is worth the wage…so feel free to give an offering if one wishes.
 
My SD and I had a tacit understanding. I would leave a freewill offering for him to do as he pleased - either use it if needed or give to the charity of his choice.
 
Thank you all for your help! Now that I recall Dan Burke’s book on spiritual life did mention to ask them if they had an organization of their choice to send a donation to. I had a clear understanding with my past SD bc this was her calling and she was registered with our diocease. Just not clear when it comes to a priest but thank you for the advice all great! God bless TJTM!
 
There are some religious congregations or retreat houses that offer spiritual direction and giving an offering helps them to maintain their center or convent. There are some lay directors I know who do ask for a stipend because they are giving their time, especially if they have a number of people they are directing, but usually they ask for a small amount and if a person can’t afford it they don’t have to pay anything.
 
I never knew you were to pay a spiritual director. I have a priest and he has never said anything. Is this normal to give him something?
 
Well like I said before it does say in Dan Burkes book spiritual journey to the interior life that you can ask your priest/SD if they have a specific ministry that they would like you to donate to. Also it states you may have masses said for them and then you would just give them the card. Now I also spoke to a deacon’s wife and she mentioned if you are seeing your pastor from your church than you shouldn’t have to give a donation offering but if he was outside your parish then it would be appropriate to offer him something bc he is taking time out from his regular parish to see you. Or If he/she happened to be part of an Abby/monastery/convent then it would also be a suitable. All just some suggestions… God bless you! I will pray for you during this time of discernment
 
I never knew you were to pay a spiritual director. I have a priest and he has never said anything. Is this normal to give him something?
If he’s not a parish priest or pastor, I would offer. He may very well say no thanks, it’s fine. But it’s nice to offer. Even if he declines, at Christmas or birthday, I would give a gift card and a letter of thanks. Just as a courtesy. Many priests do not expect anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top