Spiritual discouragement

  • Thread starter Thread starter CompSciGuy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CompSciGuy

Guest
Hi all,

I often will post here to express difficulties I find in my spiritual walk, and often I fear that it sounds like I am whining or complaining. Actually when I post about my difficulties in faith it is because very often people will reply to my thread and provide helpful and encouraging replies with spiritual wisdom that get me back on my feet.

Right now I have been dealing with spiritual discouragement. There are two main sources of spiritual discouragement for me lately, one of them is that I have had some once close friends leave the church and/or lose faith. One of them in particular used to be involved in the Catholic student center where I went to college and then moved back to his hometown, which happened to be the same city that I moved to after college (it was not my hometown) and was in one of our young adult groups, he and I would hang out a lot and talk about faith-related stuff. He was a strong Catholic and involved in the pro-life movement. Last year he landed a job a couple of states away and seemed to be much happier there but had begun doubting everything he believes in as a Catholic because he says that everything he knows or has heard about God has been “through the grapevine” and that he doesn’t believe that he can be sure that God cares about His creation, etc. It really hit me hard to hear him saying these things. I kept my cool and did my best to answer why I believe in God but I still felt depressed a lot after that. I have had other friends, both Catholics and evangelical Christians, lose their faith over the past few years and it really kinda weighs on me a bit. I do not doubt God’s existence or even the Catholic Church, but I sometimes have difficulty trusting in God and when I see my friends “dropping like flies” so to speak, in my own mind it creates this sense that the general population is seeing Christianity as something increasingly irrelevant, and when I am around my anti-Catholic coworkers it is hard to feel like I am able to make any kind of difference anywhere: where I live, where I work, etc. because I am always faced with people who think that my faith is a joke, and I don’t always know the best way to articulate a response to some of their objections.

The second thing that weighs me down is sin. I feel constantly burdened by my own sin. This past Easter I went to the vigil on Saturday night, which usually is a place of tremendous joy to me. However when I was there, I was completely filled with this sense of disgust over my own sins, for example, being unsympathetic toward my pregnant wife, remembering things that I had said and done that were selfish, completely neglecting prayer and instead working all day on household projects, harboring sinful thoughts, and others. These sins are killing me and many of them are sins that I have been continually repeating in spite of confessing them. Often when I get out of confession I feel very hopeful about continuing on and avoiding the sins, and growing in virtue. But that particular night I felt completely bogged down, and began wondering if I would ever move past these sins that keep weighing me down. I wanted to go to confession before Easter but couldn’t because of my work schedule; I tried to go to one of the confession marathons but the church was so packed that I wasn’t going to be able to get my confession done in time.

I guess what I would like really are prayers and potentially wisdom from others who experience discouragement and how you handled it.
 
This is a rough time for Christianity, it’s true. But it’s not because it’s irrelevant; it’s because it’s so relevant that it’s uncomfortable. Likewise, it’s not that your efforts are useless and unimportant; it’s that they are difficult but necessary.

Thinking hard about your sins and being sad about them is healthy. Feeling depressed and powerless about them is what is not healthy. Make a plan and keep on it, and you will feel less depressed. (Okay, maybe not right away. But you’ll get there.)

It’s said that the devil likes to trick us two different ways: one is to make us think that our sins aren’t all that bad and are almost not sins; and the other is to make us think that our sins are uniquely bad and heinous and impossible to stop.

I hope this helps!
 
Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need.
 
Hi CompSciGuy,

I don’t think that you are alone with how your sins make you feel.

I struggle with certain sins that are like “ingrained bad habits” for me. We fall, but then we get back up again, and keep on trying to be better people. That is all that any of us can try to do, in my opinion.

I think that we can also go through times in our lives when we feel that our faith is being tested in some ways. I think that the best thing that we can do is just hold on and stay as close to the Lord as possible, and keep on being faithful, and do what we would normally do in our faith lives, like go to Mass, Confession, Communion, pray, etc.
 
Praying for you. God does care and intervene in our lives, after all he suffered and died to save us.

Do not despair about your sins, be patient with yourself. God appreciates your efforts. Ask Mary to help you.

Take advantage of the plenary indulgence offered April 12th., Divine Mercy Sunday.

God bless you.
 
A few words regarding you comment concerning the general population’s view.

Your comment -
“…the general population is seeing Christianity as something increasingly irrelevant, and when I am around my anti-Catholic coworkers it is hard to feel like I am able to make any kind of difference anywhere: where I live, where I work, etc. because I am always faced with people who think that my faith is a joke, and I don’t always know the best way to articulate a response to some of their objections.”

I understand how you feel concerning the general population and their dismissal of faith. For years, I privately thought the same. Rightly or wrongly, I began to keep my beliefs to myself, and now quietly live in my own world. I don’t respond or argue with others who believe differently. Focusing on Jesus was the answer - for me. I felt I only had control over my own life and outlook. So I went inside and asked Him to accept me, and to help me. Each of us must choose our beliefs and how we live, work, and pray during the time we have here on earth.

Now that I am older, I realize my influence over the outer world is minimal, but I pray for strength and trust in God. May He grant us peace. I am praying for you.
 
Hey CompSciGuy,

Cultivate a devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows! Console her and she will console you. Our Lord loves those who make reparation for sins committed against the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of His dear Mother, who He has given to be our own Mother! What a consoling thought! At this very second, while you are reading these words, she is watching over you with unspeakable tenderness; she knows your name; she loves you. She knows your sufferings; she shares them with you. She is so sweet. Entrust yourself to her care. She is the Mother of Mercy; she knows how to turn all our trials into joy and fruit for the sanctification and salvation of souls, including our own.

Jesus to Bl. Angela of Foligno: “Ask mercy for thyself and for thy companions and for all whom thou wilt, for I am much more ready to give than thou art to receive.”

St. Francis de Sales: “We must not be upset by our imperfections; instead, we must recognize them and learn to combat them. And it is in fighting against our imperfections without being discouraged by them that our very perfection consists.”

Now read this!
‘Spiritual Despondency and Temptations’: archive.org/stream/spiritualdespond00gareuoft#page/n5/mode/2up

Excerpt: “The saints did not hope in God because they were faithful to God, but they were faithful to God because they hoped in Him… Observe that St. Paul does not say, I have obtained mercy because I have been faithful, but “Having obtained mercy of the Lord, to be faithful” (i Cor. vii. 25). Mercy always precedes the good which we do; and it is from mercy alone that we have the necessary grace to do any good at all. The saints never counted upon their works to strengthen their confidence in God, for they were ever mindful of the words of Our Saviour: “So you also, when you shall have done all these things that are commanded you, say: We are unprofitable servants” (Luke xvii. 10).”

Dom Pius de Hemptinne, a disciple of Bl. Dom Marmion, says that our good desires and works are an evident sign of God’s love for us, because they are fruits of His bounty; they are effects of His love and mercy.

I don’t like to “advertise” my blog, but this post might encourage you (if it is not permitted to share, I happily consent to its removal):
littlestsouls.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/17-quotesrevelations-to-inspire-confidence-in-gods-love/

God bless.
 
I went thru similar experience but what kept me are: my spiritual director and community to share my faith…masses .prayers and retreats did helped me a lot… i investd a lot in my spiritual life…confessions help a lot too.,but there are many times i do struggle alot. i have to go thru them…what consoles me in these momeñts are meditations on the passion of christ. It is challenging but i appreciate the process. God be with you.
 
I place little value on what people do or think, if it not in accord with my Christian Catholic beliefs, even if these people are my friends. We all need a deep personal love for Christ which will do us tremendous good in staying faithful to Him. Should we sin and realize that we hurt or disappointed Him is some way we will be quick to rectify faults or sin. I would recommend increasing your knowledge of Jesus by reading the Bible, and the lives of the saints. At the same time asking Him for the outpouring of His Spirit to increase your love for Jesus, He can’t refuse, but you must be sincere, and prayerful. Love can make all the difference in your faith life and spirituality, it can make you strong and faithful.
 
It is only natural to feel blue over the misfortunes of your friends, and more so if they were close. Especially the misfortune of losing their way to Jesus. We feel almost responsible in a way…that maybe we might have made a difference if we had only said the right thing at the right time. I beleve we have all been there and done that. I know I have. And it is disheartening. Sometimes it is best just to cry…cry to our beloved Jesus and to Mary and get it out. Tell them how painful it is and then ask them to help those who we miss so much. Just lay our head on the chest of Jesus as St. John did at the last supper. He had many who walked away from him as well…especially when he explained the sacrament of his love and they refused to believe. So he knows…and he does give comfort in our sorrowing moments.

And sins kill all of us especially because it is a never ending war. We would like to see some success, but all we see is repeated mistakes over and over until it starts grinding us into the ground. But I think in moments like this we have to remember everyone faces the same thing and has the same problem…yes even the saints to some degree. I am particularly embarassed when I look at myself and immediately become ashamed of myself for giving so little to Jesus who gave so much to me. It has a way of crushing me inside. But then I realize how selfish I am for thinking that, for it is Jesus who works within me, it is his strength that carries me thru. That I am being too much self dependent thinking that I have the wear-withall to do what is necessary…pride. I stink with pride… instead of turning to my friend Jesus, and knowing he is there for me. He can accomplish what I cannot do if I just remember I am nothing and he is all. So then I unite myself with him again and know that what I need he already gave me … himself.

May the Good Shepherd fill you with peace and his continual love.
 
A few words regarding you comment concerning the general population’s view.

Your comment -
“…the general population is seeing Christianity as something increasingly irrelevant, and when I am around my anti-Catholic coworkers it is hard to feel like I am able to make any kind of difference anywhere: where I live, where I work, etc. because I am always faced with people who think that my faith is a joke, and I don’t always know the best way to articulate a response to some of their objections.”

I understand how you feel concerning the general population and their dismissal of faith. For years, I privately thought the same. Rightly or wrongly, I began to keep my beliefs to myself, and now quietly live in my own world. I don’t respond or argue with others who believe differently. Focusing on Jesus was the answer - for me. I felt I only had control over my own life and outlook. So I went inside and asked Him to accept me, and to help me. Each of us must choose our beliefs and how we live, work, and pray during the time we have here on earth.

Now that I am older, I realize my influence over the outer world is minimal, but I pray for strength and trust in God. May He grant us peace. I am praying for you.
I have often taken that approach as well. However, I have a burning within my soul that I want to evangelize and get the good news out there. I am slowly making progress, and have had opportunities to share (ones where God practically paved the way for me and laid down the red carpet, and all I had to do was actually take the opportunity) and these have been rewarding, even though I have not seen the visible fruit of these encounters. I plan on taking evangelization classes at my parish when they are offered this summer. Until then I need to get into a prayer routine. I am fully aware that I can not likely make a great difference or effectively bring Jesus to people if I don’t have an active prayer life.
 
I have this for you from St Padre Pio:

You must turn to God when you are assaulted by the enemy; you must hope in Him and expect everything that is good from Him. Don’t voluntarily dwell on what the enemy presents to you. Remember that, he who flees, wins, and at the first sign of your aversion for those people, you must stop thinking of it and turn to God. Bend your knees before Him, and with the greatest humility say this short prayer: “Have mercy on me, a poor weakling,” Then get up and, with holy indifference, go on about your business. St. Padre Pio

Don’t let temptations frighten you. They are the trials of the souls that God wants to put to the test when He sees them strong enough to sustain the battle, weaving with their own hands, the crown of glory. Up to now your life has been that of an infant; now the Lord wants to treat you as an adult. And as the trials of adult life are much greater than those of an infant, this is why you find yourself rather disorganized in the beginning. But the soul will acquire its calm, and the calm will not delay in coming. Be patient a while longer and everything will work out well. St. Padre Pio

Temptations against faith and purity are the merchandise offered by the enemy, but do not fear him, despise him. As long as he makes an uproar it is a sign that he has not yet possessed the will. Don’t be upset by what you experience through the work of this rebellious angel. Let your will always be contrary to his suggestions, and live tranquilly, because you are not at fault, but rather, you please God and gain progress for your soul. St Padre Pio

Enduring truth and the absolute.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top