Spiritual practice for a protestant?

• Thread starter Thread starter ahimsaman72
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ahimsaman72

Hello all!

I won’t go into all the background, but basically, I’m a life-long Baptist with an interest in a spiritual practice at home to keep me close to God. I read the Bible, pray, go to church, but I suppose I yearn for true fellowship with God on a more personal level.

I’m interested more in maybe contemplative prayer - Christian mysticism. I like the Rosary, but it seems a little silly for me to do(no disrespect intended to Holy Mother Mary - I’m just saying - Baptist praying Rosary is pretty unusual). Is there a Catholic discipline/practice that a protestant like me could use?

p.s. besides converting to Catholicism 😃

Thank you in advance for any of your comments. I appreciate it.

Peace…

40.png
ahimsaman72:
Hello all!

I won’t go into all the background, but basically, I’m a life-long Baptist with an interest in a spiritual practice at home to keep me close to God. I read the Bible, pray, go to church, but I suppose I yearn for true fellowship with God on a more personal level.

I’m interested more in maybe contemplative prayer - Christian mysticism. I like the Rosary, but it seems a little silly for me to do(no disrespect intended to Holy Mother Mary - I’m just saying - Baptist praying Rosary is pretty unusual). Is there a Catholic discipline/practice that a protestant like me could use?

Peace…
Look for The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. 😉

If you like the Rosary but have trouble with the Mariology, try the Jesus prayer on beads. There is also the Divine Mercy Chaplet which is totally Christ centered.

I would also suggest looking into the Liturgy of the Hours. It is a way of joining your prayer with millions of others and kind of setting your internal spiritual clock.

There is also Lectio Divina, which is a slow, contemplative praying of the Scriptures which should fit nicely with your Baptist sensibilities. 😉

Lectio divina is a good introduction to contemplative prayer. I recommend

Lectio Divina and the Practice of Teresian Prayer by Sam Anthony Morello OCD, online here

and

The Ways of Mental Prayer by Rt Rev Dom Vitalis Lehodey

40.png
ahimsaman72:
Hello all!

Peace…
If you are attracted to the rosary, and the only thing keeping you from it is that it seems unusual, I say go for it. There has to be some reason that you see a good in it. The Divine Mercy Chaplet is very Christ-centered, but the rosary is also, because it focuses on Jesus life through the person that was the most Christ-centered–Mary. Do what God is calling you to do and don’t worry about what others expect of you.

40.png
BlueMit11:
If you are attracted to the rosary, and the only thing keeping you from it is that it seems unusual, I say go for it. There has to be some reason that you see a good in it. The Divine Mercy Chaplet is very Christ-centered, but the rosary is also, because it focuses on Jesus life through the person that was the most Christ-centered–Mary. Do what God is calling you to do and don’t worry about what others expect of you.
I agree. The Rosary is a prayer about the Gospels and is definitely Chist centered.

Wow, thanks everybody. I almost expected some heckling considering the paradox of a Baptist seeking Catholic spiritual disciplines to practice. But, I don’t consider myself only a Baptist. I consider myself a Christian trudging the path till I’m taken home.

I thank you for your replies and will begin to investigate what you all have recommended. I appreciate your honesty and response.

Peace…

p.s. I may have to come back and ask a question or two based on what I find - ok?

God bless…

40.png
BlueMit11:
You know, I made feeble attempts at praying the Rosary before and it felt odd. I didn’t mind praying to Mary - “holy Mary, Mother of God” etc, but it was so unusual that I felt silly doing it. I suppose it would help if I had the background theology in my head to back it up with.

My mind isn’t catching up with my heart, I guess 🙂

I will try again.

Thanks and God bless…

40.png
buzzcut:
Lectio divina is a good introduction to contemplative prayer. I recommend

Lectio Divina and the Practice of Teresian Prayer by Sam Anthony Morello OCD, online here

and

The Ways of Mental Prayer by Rt Rev Dom Vitalis Lehodey
Thanks Buzz!

It’s weird because in some ways I have practiced this without realizing it. Being an avid Scripture reader, I would often (and still do) read and meditate on a Scripture piece. I never would repeat words or phrases like is explained in the article, however.

Thank you very much for the link. I will be trying this.

God bless…

40.png
kmktexas:
If you like the Rosary but have trouble with the Mariology, try the Jesus prayer on beads. There is also the Divine Mercy Chaplet which is totally Christ centered.

I would also suggest looking into the Liturgy of the Hours. It is a way of joining your prayer with millions of others and kind of setting your internal spiritual clock.

There is also Lectio Divina, which is a slow, contemplative praying of the Scriptures which should fit nicely with your Baptist sensibilities. 😉
Yes, the Jesus prayer - isn’t that, “Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner”?

Yes, the Lectio Divina seems quite natural and inviting.

Thank you for sharing these examples!

God bless…

E.E.N.S.:
Look for The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. 😉
Thanks E.E.N.S.!

I’ll look into it.

I may come back and ask a question or two if that’s allright.

Thanks for not heckling!

God bless…

40.png
ahimsaman72:
Hello all!

I’m interested more in maybe contemplative prayer - Christian mysticism. I like the Rosary, …
I hesitate to advise because in the past when I have been asked similar questions by Baptist friends and relatives and attempt to describe Catholic spirituality, I have been told that these come under the heading of “works” and are not necessary for salvation.

Be that as it may, one ancient practice which should be practiced by all Christians is lectio divina, “divine reading”, that is reading the scripture slowly and prayerfully, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, meditating on and praying with scripture, including active listening to God’s Word, and contemplation.

There are several threads active on lectio divina with good links.

If you are drawn to the Rosary, you may want to find a book on the “Scriptural Rosary”. It is the same rosary but includes Bible verses to contemplate during each mystery.

Divine Mercy Prayers
Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world; for the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, and save us from the fires of Hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy Mercy.
You may also want to try fasting. See Colosians 1:24,25 and Ephesians 5:21-33. Remember you participate in the salvation and sanctification of your spouse. Your souls are joined and Jesus in His mercy has given you the gift to participate in His sacrifice on the cross for the forgiveness of sins.

C S P B:
If you are drawn to the Rosary, you may want to find a book on the “Scriptural Rosary”. It is the same rosary but includes Bible verses to contemplate during each mystery.

Divine Mercy PrayersEternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world; for the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, and save us from the fires of Hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy Mercy.

You may also want to try fasting. See Colosians 1:24,25 and Ephesians 5:21-33. Remember you participate in the salvation and sanctification of your spouse. Your souls are joined and Jesus in His mercy has given you the gift to participate in His sacrifice on the cross for the forgiveness of sins.
Thank you so much for your post. The prayer above is really beautiful. I will use that divine mercy prayer.

I have tried fasting before. I purposely didn’t eat past noon two consecutive days. I figured I would try to ease my way into fasting 🙂 . It was very good for me. It helped me to focus more on other things and reduced my attachment to myself.

Again, thank you for your answers. I appreciate that.

God bless…

40.png
puzzleannie:
I hesitate to advise because in the past when I have been asked similar questions by Baptist friends and relatives and attempt to describe Catholic spirituality, I have been told that these come under the heading of “works” and are not necessary for salvation.

Be that as it may, one ancient practice which should be practiced by all Christians is lectio divina, “divine reading”, that is reading the scripture slowly and prayerfully, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, meditating on and praying with scripture, including active listening to God’s Word, and contemplation.

There are several threads active on lectio divina with good links.
Now Annie…

I don’t consider them works. I consider them devotional practices intended to deepen the personal relationship with God. I really don’t consider them salvific, but additional aids in the spiritual life. Do you consider them salvific? I wasn’t aware of that if you do.

Well, to each his own either way. I value highly some Catholic practices and am open-minded to Christian spirituality. I’m really not into a “me versus them” mentality. I seek ways to unify people, not destructive ways to scatter.

I’m not your typical Baptist - but then there is no such thing as a typical one 😉 . I’ve studied most denominations in Christianity and other religions as well. I recently came out of a long spell with Buddhism study. However, now I’m back where I started my journey 33 years ago.

What an odd life I have lived.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I wish you God’s blessing.

Peace…

40.png
ahimsaman72:
. . . but I suppose I yearn for true fellowship with God on a more personal level.

AND

I’m interested more in maybe contemplative prayer - Christian mysticism.
Hi ahimsaman72 -

I very much agree with those here who’ve suggested lectio. One thing I might add that would be a very good compliment to lectio - as well as addressing your quotes above - is the teaching of Brother Lawrence. I think he’s very appropriate to this thread for two reasons:
  1. He is a Catholic spiritual master teaching in the tradition of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross
  2. Yet his widest following over the last couple of hundred years has been in Protestant circles.
Brother Lawrence teaches a very simple way to orient oneself to the contemplative in all aspects of life . . . a very Catholic way to pray without ceasing. In some ways what he teaches is similiar to how some might practice the Jesus Prayer. He differs, though, in that the “method” Brother Lawrence teaches is essentially wordless . . . it is more about interior attitudes and dispositions (an “inward gaze” if you will) that recognizes God as continually present – 24/7.

So in this sense I think Brother Lawrence is a very good compliment to lectio because both are meant to lead one to contemplative prayer - lectio in a more formalized way, Brother Lawrence through every day living.

Here’s a link to his writings. Click on “Practice of God’s Presence” for his actual writings . . . the other stuff are reflections put together by the authors of this web site.

www.practicegodspresence.com

Best of luck to you . . .

Dave.

40.png
DBT:
Hi ahimsaman72 -

I very much agree with those here who’ve suggested lectio. One thing I might add that would be a very good compliment to lectio - as well as addressing your quotes above - is the teaching of Brother Lawrence. I think he’s very appropriate to this thread for two reasons:
  1. He is a Catholic spiritual master teaching in the tradition of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross
  2. Yet his widest following over the last couple of hundred years has been in Protestant circles.
Brother Lawrence teaches a very simple way to orient oneself to the contemplative in all aspects of life . . . a very Catholic way to pray without ceasing. In some ways what he teaches is similiar to how some might practice the Jesus Prayer. He differs, though, in that the “method” Brother Lawrence teaches is essentially wordless . . . it is more about interior attitudes and dispositions (an “inward gaze” if you will) that recognizes God as continually present – 24/7.

So in this sense I think Brother Lawrence is a very good compliment to lectio because both are meant to lead one to contemplative prayer - lectio in a more formalized way, Brother Lawrence through every day living.

Here’s a link to his writings. Click on “Practice of God’s Presence” for his actual writings . . . the other stuff are reflections put together by the authors of this web site.

www.practicegodspresence.com

Best of luck to you . . .

Dave.
Thank you Dave for your information. I know that my denomination/faith can be improved and my personal spiritual life can be improved. I’m not content with doing something halfway and that’s why I’m open to other traditions’ approach to the Christian life.

I value the rich tradition and disciplines of the Catholic faith while reserving the doctrinal aspect of my present faith. I hope it isn’t taken as an affront to folks, but that’s simply where I am at in my life - searching for deeper meaning and relevance in my spiritual life.

Again, thanks for the link and your insightful comments.

God bless…

I say that if you have some attraction to the Rosary prayer, then just do it. There’s a "virtual rosary’ that you can download onto your computer that references bible passages for each bead - a “scriptural rosary” that you can use to get started.

I also think the idea of saying the Divine Mercy chaplet is a good one. That prayer is also said on a set of Rosary beads, and it does not include the repetitive Hail Mary prayers.

Other things you can do…

(1) Advent wreath at Christmas
(2) Lenten observances - meatless Fridays and giving something up/additonal donation of time/money/services
(3) The Liturgy of the Hours.

40.png
ahimsaman72:
I know that my denomination/faith can be improved and my personal spiritual life can be improved.
Well we’re all works in progress aren’t we? 🙂
40.png
ahimsaman72:
I’m not content with doing something halfway and that’s why I’m open to other traditions’ approach to the Christian life.
Well then you’re talking Br. Lawrence’s language! I bring him up because, while he’s very Catholic, there’s a certain universal Christian appeal to him that explains why he’s loved by Catholics and Protestants alike. If you feel yourself drawn to contemplative prayer, I can think of no better place to start.
40.png
ahimsaman72:
I value the rich tradition and disciplines of the Catholic faith while reserving the doctrinal aspect of my present faith. I hope it isn’t taken as an affront to folks, but that’s simply where I am at in my life - searching for deeper meaning and relevance in my spiritual life.
No affront at all 🙂 I’ve enjoyed this opportunity to talk with you 👍

Dave.

40.png
DBT:
Well we’re all works in progress aren’t we? 🙂

Well then you’re talking Br. Lawrence’s language! I bring him up because, while he’s very Catholic, there’s a certain universal Christian appeal to him that explains why he’s loved by Catholics and Protestants alike. If you feel yourself drawn to contemplative prayer, I can think of no better place to start.

No affront at all 🙂 I’ve enjoyed this opportunity to talk with you 👍

Dave.
Thanks Dave. I suppose I mention that because some would see my interest as one of a selfish nature bent on stealing something sacred from their religion while disregarding everything else good about their religion.

The opposite is true. I think all Christians could share some good experiences and practices with each other. I would love to see more unity in the Christian faith. I appreciate your openness and I have enjoyed your (name removed by moderator)ut.

No matter what - I consider anyone who professes Jesus as their Lord to be my brother or sister. Though we may be half-brothers we are “all in the family”. Thanks for your gentle spirit.

Peace to you and God bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back