Spiritual practice for a protestant?

• Thread starter Thread starter ahimsaman72
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert in SD:
I say that if you have some attraction to the Rosary prayer, then just do it. There’s a "virtual rosary’ that you can download onto your computer that references bible passages for each bead - a “scriptural rosary” that you can use to get started.

I also think the idea of saying the Divine Mercy chaplet is a good one. That prayer is also said on a set of Rosary beads, and it does not include the repetitive Hail Mary prayers.

Other things you can do…

(1) Advent wreath at Christmas
(2) Lenten observances - meatless Fridays and giving something up/additonal donation of time/money/services
(3) The Liturgy of the Hours.
Thanks Robert for the suggestions. I will take them to heart. Yes, we have historically used an advent calendar to count down the days till Christmas. Is that something similar?
I don’t have to worry about (2) (pssst…don’t tell anybody, but I’m a vegetarian :))
I will be looking into the liturgy of the hours.

Thanks again friend!

Peace…

God bless…

Just to put my 2 cents in: I am Methodist, and I pray the rosary & Divine Mercy chaplet every day…
I have found that the rosary has been the one thing that I can point to, as the practice that really got my spiritual life “into gear”…
So, it’s not like you’ll be the only one of us non-Catholics out there that will be praying it.
God bless.

40.png
Zooey:
Just to put my 2 cents in: I am Methodist, and I pray the rosary & Divine Mercy chaplet every day…
I have found that the rosary has been the one thing that I can point to, as the practice that really got my spiritual life “into gear”…
So, it’s not like you’ll be the only one of us non-Catholics out there that will be praying it.
God bless.
Thanks Zooey!!!

You know, I made feeble attempts at praying the Rosary before and it felt odd. I didn’t mind praying to Mary - “holy Mary, Mother of God” etc, but it was so unusual that I felt silly doing it. I suppose it would help if I had the background theology in my head to back it up with.
I suggest reading Pope John Paul II’s Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae:

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae_en.html

I recommend reading that then starting to pray the Rosary again.

40.png
ahimsaman72:
Hello all!

I won’t go into all the background, but basically, I’m a life-long Baptist with an interest in a spiritual practice at home to keep me close to God. I read the Bible, pray, go to church, but I suppose I yearn for true fellowship with God on a more personal level.

I’m interested more in maybe contemplative prayer - Christian mysticism. I like the Rosary, but it seems a little silly for me to do(no disrespect intended to Holy Mother Mary - I’m just saying - Baptist praying Rosary is pretty unusual). Is there a Catholic discipline/practice that a protestant like me could use?

p.s. besides converting to Catholicism 😃

Thank you in advance for any of your comments. I appreciate it.

Peace…
if the Rosary’s prayers tend to make you uncomfortable, until you understand learning the imitation of Christ and contemplating his mysteries under the spiritual school of his mother, Mary, there is a Ecumenical Rosary alternative:

ecumenicalrosary.org/how_to_pray.htm

the Rosary is a good beginning for the ways of contemplative prayer. there are many, many other methods to orient oneself into contemplative prayer and the contemplative life

there is:
  1. meditating the mysteries of the Rosary
  2. meditating on the Stations of the Cross
  3. the singing and praying of the Psalms/Liturgy of the Hours
    4… the meditation and contemplation of Lectio Divina (holy reading)
  4. mental prayer, of the discursive meditation type (read up on St. Ignatius’ meditation prayer methods)
  5. prayer of quiet, non-discursive meditation (St. Teresa of Avila’s)
  6. christian meditation/centering prayer
  7. infused contemplation, a gift of God Himself
you can search for these prayer methods through google.com
%between%

there is a ecumenical, but Catholic-based book on the contemplative practices of laypersons:

“The Lay Contemplative: Testimonies, Perspectives, Resources.” Mary Frolich & Virginia Manss. Saint Anthony Messenger Press and Franciscan
ISBN: 0867163704

other good books:
  • “The Inner Room: A Journey into Lay Monasticism.” Mark Plaiss. St. Anthony Messenger Press. ISBN: 0-86716-481-6
  • “The Cloister Walk.” Kathleen Norris. Riverhead Trade. ISBN: 1573225843
FYI: Kathleen Norris is a well-known Protestant poet who became a Benedictine Oblate, a part of the Benedict Order that allows non-Catholics to join. you may enjoy reading her books.
  • “How to Pray Always” by Raoul Plus, S.J. Publisher: Sophia Institute Press ISBN: 1928832687
the above book is very short and simple, an easy way to learn about meditative and contemplative prayer
  • “Catechsism of Mental Prayer” Rev. Joseph Simler. Tan Books. ISBN 0-89555-256-6
i hope these are all helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back