M
MariaG
Guest
This is from this thread Catholic heresies? posted by hoosierdaddy. (You know, everytime I have to post your username Brian, I have to laugh. )
Brian posted a list, Boettner’s list and asked us to show us why they are not heresies as Boettner claims.
So this thread will specifically address Boettners claims about the papacy.
610The Papacy is of pagan origin. The title of pope or universal bishop, was first given to the bishop of Rome by the wicked emperor Phocas
This he did to spite Bishop Ciriacus of Constantinople, who had justly excommunicated him for his having caused the assassination of his predecessor emperor Mauritius. Gregory 1, then bishop of Rome, refused the title, but his successor, Boniface III, first assumed title “pope.”
Jesus did not appoint Peter to the headship of the apostles and forbade any such notion. (Lk. 22:24-26; Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18; I Cor. 3:11).
Note:-- Nor is there any mention in Scripture, nor in history, that Peter ever was in Rome, much less that he was pope there for 25 years; Clement, 3rd bishop of Rome, remarks that there is no real 1st century evidence that Peter ever was in Rome."
Brian posted a list, Boettner’s list and asked us to show us why they are not heresies as Boettner claims.
So this thread will specifically address Boettners claims about the papacy.
610The Papacy is of pagan origin. The title of pope or universal bishop, was first given to the bishop of Rome by the wicked emperor Phocas
This he did to spite Bishop Ciriacus of Constantinople, who had justly excommunicated him for his having caused the assassination of his predecessor emperor Mauritius. Gregory 1, then bishop of Rome, refused the title, but his successor, Boniface III, first assumed title “pope.”
Jesus did not appoint Peter to the headship of the apostles and forbade any such notion. (Lk. 22:24-26; Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18; I Cor. 3:11).
Note:-- Nor is there any mention in Scripture, nor in history, that Peter ever was in Rome, much less that he was pope there for 25 years; Clement, 3rd bishop of Rome, remarks that there is no real 1st century evidence that Peter ever was in Rome."
originally posted by MariaGAha! I found it. It was in the thread you thought it was in Corvidae:tiphat: I should have known Church Militant was the one to place a link to it![]()
Although I will say the above is more a refutation to the dates rather than specifics against why the beliefs are not heretical.