SPLIT: Offended by term NO Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spelling
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not clear how we would define whether the Church uses or does not use the term. I can however provide cites for official use by Paul VI:and according to Wikipedia:I don’t have a link, but a few years ago a member here noted that his copy of the newly published missal 40 years ago had “Novus Ordo Missae” printed on the cover.
Is that the best you can do? Just follow the Pope.
 
I think in the end, it comes down to this. If the people who use “NO Mass” and “Novus Ordo Mass” didn’t do so because they wanted to intentionally demean the OF Mass, I think they would have stopped long ago, particularly after Pope Benedict XVI’s comments.

The fact that they continue to use the slurs and the fact they continue to struggle to justify their actions screams loud and clear that they have no intention of ceasing to denigrate the OF Mass in the manner we have been discussing.

In the end, clear as crystal…
 
Yes it is clear how the Church calls the Mass. It is the Mass…the Liturgy…the Eucharist. And if one wants to get into rite…it is the Roman Rite…and the ordinary form of the Roman Rite etc etc…not Novus Ordo.

As for the quotes in Latin you referenced…these were Latin texts referring in Latin to the New Order of Mass…after it was issued…differing from the former order. Saying it is the new one… It was not a “name”.

When my 2006 Toyota Corolla came out…and I bought it…I could say “I have the new toyota” and this would be accurate. Now that it is 2011 if I were to point to that car and say I have the new Toyota …I would not be accurate. I would have to say it was the 2006 Toyota Corolla (though I could perhaps produce a booklet that has “New Toyota Corolla” from that time period…on the cover…it is in English of course…but if it had been in Latin…well it would have said it in Latin…)

Same goes here.

Soon we will have the New Translation in English of the Roman Missal…one could call it the “new missal” and if one was writing in Latin …your going to put that in Latin…but in 40 years…it is not going to be referred to that way…
Good analogy. 👍
 
I am 45 and the only mass I have every realy know is the New mass. My parish celebrate only the new mass and when specking to people about things all I hear is the mass or the Old latin mass. or just the OLD mass. Should I as someone that does love to on the rare occassion go to the next town to a EF Mass be offened by it bing refferred to as the OLD mass?

Spelling, Lighten up. it is and always will be, unless another form comes into being the NEW mass the novus ordo “NO”. The term comes from the fact that the missal reffers to the Order of the Mass and hence this was the NEW order of the mass. the novus ordo in latin.

Also the poster who posted about using Church and church is correct.
No, you are wrong. The main Masses in the Latin Rite of the Church are the Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. The new/old stuff you are trying to preserve is specifically what the Pope wanted to avoid.
 
Good grief! You guys are still going on about this? :rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to you to give a person the benefit of the doubt? The accusations made against me? Wow! .:eek:

First
I’ve never read the MP. In fact, I can’t even call it by its proper name because I can’t remember Latin terms that well. (I still get Novus and Nuvos Ordo mistaken at times) I very vaguely even know what it’s about or its purpose.

Second
Any terms I’ve used, I innocently got off of wdtprs.com. Because Fr. Z uses terms inter-changeably I thought OF stood for “Old Form” and when it comes to the TLM, I use whatever term comes to mind first.

Third
I didn’t distinguish between NO Mass and TLM, EF,
or whatever you want to call it Mass because I use it to refer to two different churches (as in buildings) I attend in two different cities. It’s a lot shorter than typing something like at the NO Mass I attend in another church I go to…"

Fourth
I don’t like to get caught up in labels. Apparently because I believe in all of what the church teaches and, I prefer to go to Mass, not to have fun, but because it’s the most Holy Sacrifice, and because of the lack of Mass choices I have, I prefer to just drive to another city for the FSSP’s TLM because I know I’ll get that there, I’m a “Traditionalist.”:rolleyes: No, I’m a Catholic, whose beliefs are orthodox with what the Catholic Church teaches.

Fifth
As far as separating the two and making them look like different rites,I don’t think you need my use of NO church to do that. Look at the churches who offer both Masses as it is. They do a fine job themselves making the two Masses look like different rites, most likely unintentionally.

Sixth
Just so you’re all aware, you’re making your uncharitable accusations towards someone who was a revert, and within less than three months actually returned to the church. Do you think maybe, just maybe, all these writings that the pope put out in the past few years I might not have got around to reading yet?
Wow, you forgot everything but “OF.” You got the “NO”, the “EF” and the “TLM” but no “OF”, huh? :hmmm: How convenient. In all sincerity, could your motivation to demean the OF Mass be any more clear?
 
The Church doesn’t use “tlm” either, does it?

One area where progress has been made is that more and more fundamentalists will refer to the Tridentine Mass as the Extraordinary Form or the EF. I remember that label shocked quite a few when it was first used by the Pope.
 
Let us remember…that many use the terms they simply hear…(like for instance Love Divine in this thread seems to have just “picked up” various terms upon returning to the Church…and was just using what he heard) they do not know the correct term at the moment…etc…Let us presume that they are using what they know…without any negative slant…as have various Catholics whom I have heard use the term…though they I would say tend to go mostly to the Ordinary Form…unfortunately it got used in the past thinking it was the correct term…and has become somewhat of a habit…and others pick up on it.

Let us of course presume the best always

and of course let us promote the correct terms…
 
Wow, this is silly.

Reminds me of the “politically correct” arguments that go on.
 
Wow, you forgot everything but “OF.” You got the “NO”, the “EF” and the “TLM” but no “OF”, huh? :hmmm: How convenient. In all sincerity, could your motivation to demean the OF Mass be any more clear?
:rolleyes:
Seriously? My “motivation to demean the OF Mass”? :rotfl:
 
:rolleyes:
Seriously? My “motivation to demean the OF Mass”? :rotfl:
That was my latest response, but I didn’t post it. Some NO Masses I’ve seen are reverent, others I’ve seen have done a good enough job demeaning themselves so that I don’t need to help any. 😉
 
That was my latest response, but I didn’t post it. Some NO Masses I’ve seen are reverent, others I’ve seen have done a good enough job demeaning themselves so that I don’t need to help any. 😉
That’s what I was thinking! I got tired of finding irreverenT ones (I know they’re out there, but not in my city), that I just started making the drive to attend an EF Mass done by the FSSP.
 
First
I’ve never read the MP. In fact, I can’t even call it by its proper name because I can’t remember Latin terms that well. (I still get Novus and Nuvos Ordo mistaken at times) I very vaguely even know what it’s about or its purpose.

Second
Any terms I’ve used, I innocently got off of wdtprs.com. Because Fr. Z uses terms inter-changeably I thought OF stood for “Old Form” and when it comes to the TLM, I use whatever term comes to mind first.
Fr. Z. is NOTORIOUS in his prejudice against the Pauline Missal. Using him as your model puts you visibly into the same camp… even if you aren’t there, he’s polemically trying to drag people there. He makes many valid points, but there is a consistent subtext of opposition to the OF.

And MP stands for Moto Proprio - “It is Proper”. It’s a formal designation for any decree of the Roman Pontiff which describes proper terminology and procedures for the Roman Church. Each such document is an assertion that the contents are what is proper to be done.

MP Summorum Pontificum is the relevant document…

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/letters/2007/documents/hf_ben-xvi_let_20070707_lettera-vescovi_en.html

Latin: vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/motu_proprio/documents/hf_ben-xvi_motu-proprio_20070707_summorum-pontificum_lt.html
English: ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/b16summorumpontificum.htm
 
No, you are wrong. The main Masses in the Latin Rite of the Church are the Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. The new/old stuff you are trying to preserve is specifically what the Pope wanted to avoid.
That is your opinion. You are intiled to it. However, I am not wrong in mine. I love the Mass. It matters not to me if celebrated in the NO/OF, the TLM/EF, The domican, of Ambrosian Rite (all of which are Latin Rites), or one of the eastern Rites.
You are finding reason to be offended were in 99% of the time no offence is intended.
It is not a matter of tring to preserve Any thing as far as Terms go. They are what they are.

It appears to me that it is you and your dislike of the TLM that is comeing through as you are projecting that onto others when they use terms that have been in use for years by people that would never want to go to a TLM Mass and only go to NO Mass.

Also it was pionted out to me that I do not have the right not to be offened. Also that when something as trivial as this is offending me it is more than likely something wrong with me.

In any case I will be at my parish church worshipping God in the celebration of the Mass in occordance with the nuvos ordo of the Mass promligated By his Holiness Pope Paul VI.
 
It appears to me that it is you and your dislike of the TLM that is comeing through as you are projecting that onto others when they use terms that have been in use for years by people that would never want to go to a TLM Mass and only go to NO Mass.
What I find sadder is that “Novus Ordo” are the only two Latin words many of those offended by the term know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top