Sri Lanka rejects Israel rescuers

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

**UN to close Iraqi camps in Iran **

**The UNHCR is to close several camps for Iraqi refugees in Iran because more than half of the 202,000 exiles have returned home. **

The UN’s refugee body said 42,000 out of 50,000 Iraqis at the centres had left since the fall of Saddam Hussein.

Six out of the UN’s 22 camps in south Iran are empty and another two are due to close by the end of the month.

The agency has discouraged repatriation because of insecurity in Iraq and the border-crossing is riddled with mines.

About 107,000 refugees have left Iran since the former Iraqi leader was removed last year.

The camps were set up to provide shelter to fleeing Kurds and Shia Muslims, whose numbers peaked at two million at the height of the former Iraqi regime’s repression. There are still an estimated 95,000 Iraqis in Iran

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4095937.stm

40.png
dhgray:
Great story Gil, but what does it have to do with Sir Lanka?😃
I think he may have wanted to link this one:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4130599.stm

Vatican is getting trashed on the web for condemming Israel for “refusing” to provide aid. Anyone read the article in * L’Osservatore Romano? *

From what i can see it looks like Romano made a big mistake. Anyone have more info? Thanks.

Here’s a link from Catholic World News. cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=34295

40.png
trinko:
Vatican is getting trashed on the web for condemming Israel for “refusing” to provide aid. Anyone read the article in * L’Osservatore Romano? *

From what i can see it looks like Romano made a big mistake. Anyone have more info? Thanks.

Here’s a link from Catholic World News. cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=34295
L’Osservatore for the past three years taken a decidedly pro Palestinian, pro Islamic position in most of its editorials. At this point they took the raw copy apparently about the Israeli’s having to cancel their mercy mission as it came off the wire and did what only amateurs do, they ran with it without confirmation. They will be highly embarassed and rightfully so. While it can happen to anyone in media reporting breaking news, it’s never pleasant.

Thanks for the link. I’ll see if someone can translate it. Anyone here know how to read Italian? thanks.

Oh i did get one blog to remove some inflamitory anti-Catholic rheotoric from their site. They were very nice they just didn’t pay much attention given the short deadline. Ah well.

40.png
trinko:
Vatican is getting trashed on the web for condemming Israel for “refusing” to provide aid. Anyone read the article in *L’Osservatore Romano? *

I believe it is somewhat common knowledge that the Sri Lanka government has refused passports (or visas) for Israelis to enter their country, (someone correct me if I’m wrong), and I believe this has been standard practice for Sri lanka to refuse Israeli admittance to their country for years.

I wonder if these dummies at L’Osservatore Romano have ever reported on that???

Faithful One

The real problem is that folks who are by nature unenthused about the Church use occasions such as this to attach the Faith for anti-Semitism, to declare the Pope to be demented, etc. It would be nice if there was some semi-rational basis for the original article or some caveats in it that would make it clear that it wasn’t as bad as secondary sources are making it out to be.

40.png
trinko:
The real problem is that folks who are by nature unenthused about the Church use occasions such as this to attach the Faith for anti-Semitism, to declare the Pope to be demented, etc. It would be nice if there was some semi-rational basis for the original article or some caveats in it that would make it clear that it wasn’t as bad as secondary sources are making it out to be.
The original wire blurbs made it appear as if Israel wasn’t interested in offering aid; as the story was fleshed out the facts became clear and they are already in Thailand helping identify bodies and I think I read they have sent or are going to send a full pediatric unit. That’s why raw copy is so foolish to run with for media.

do you know where i can find the original wire blurbs? that would help difuse the issue. thanks.

40.png
trinko:
do you know where i can find the original wire blurbs? that would help difuse the issue. thanks.
You can try AP wire but I doubt you’ll find much - the quick blurbs are usually displaced rather rapidly by the fleshed out stories. And in a story as large as this, the millions of words just pour in.

40.png
trinko:
did you actually see the original blurb? thanks.
Yes I did and I knew at once something was wrong - the Israeli’s are noted for their medical teams and aid to friend and foe alike during emergencies. About an hour or so later the real story came through and then it made sense. Now Sri Lanka is doing an about face and said “they can come” -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back