St. Benedict medal HOW WEAR?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

Guest
Listening to a radio show on Tuesday I heard the host say a St. Benedict medal should NOT be worn against the skin. Why not, is that true? I have several different sources that say it’s ok to wear around the neck but doesn’t specify on skin or outside of clothing, does it matter. I wear one inside my shirt I just want to make sure it’s being worn correctly. Thanks.
 
osb.org/gen/medal.html

"Use of the Medal

There is no special way prescribed for carrying or wearing the Medal of St. Benedict. It can be worn on a chain around the neck, attached to one’s rosary, kept in one’s pocket or purse, or placed in one’s car or home. The medal is often put into the foundations of houses and building, on the walls of barns and sheds, or in one’s place of business.

The purpose of using the medal in any of the above ways is to call down God’s blessing and protection upon us, wherever we are, and upon our homes and possessions, especially through the intercession of St. Benedict. By the conscious and devout use of the medal, it becomes, as it were, a constant silent prayer and reminder to us of our dignity as followers of Christ.

The medal is a prayer of exorcism against Satan, a prayer for strength in time of temptation, a prayer for peace among ourselves and among the nations of the world, a prayer that the Cross of Christ be our light and guide, a prayer of firm rejection of all that is evil, a prayer of petition that we may with Christian courage “walk in God’s ways, with the Gospel as our guide,” as St. Benedict urges us.

A profitable spiritual experience can be ours if we but take the time to study the array of inscriptions and representations found on the two sides of the medal. The lessons found there can be pondered over and over to bring true peace of mind and heart into our lives as we struggle to overcome the weaknesses of our human nature and realize that our human condition is not perfect, but that with the help of God and the intercession of the saints our condition can become better.

The Medal of St. Benedict can serve as a constant reminder of the need for us to take up our cross daily and “follow the true King, Christ our Lord,” and thus learn “to share in his heavenly kingdom,” as St. Benedict urges us in the Prolog of his Rule."
 
I have a tattoo of the medal’s reverse side on my right shoulder. How and why it got there is a very long story, suffice to say it helped me out of, and serves as a reminder of, a dark place and time in my life that none of you ever want to visit. I had a retired priest bless it-he told me he hated most tattoos but liked mine. Enough said, I think.
 
Listening to a radio show on Tuesday I heard the host say a St. Benedict medal should NOT be worn against the skin. Why not, is that true? I have several different sources that say it’s ok to wear around the neck but doesn’t specify on skin or outside of clothing, does it matter. I wear one inside my shirt I just want to make sure it’s being worn correctly. Thanks.
I am trying to process this kookamundo statement. Why in the world would anyone want it ‘not’ to be worn against the skin? Save perhaps the devil under it in a rather extreme bit of speculation?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top