J
Jim_Baur
Guest
Did St. Francis say this?
Did anyone say it before him?
THANKS!!!
Did anyone say it before him?
THANKS!!!
Pretty much the same, no?In Chapter XVII of his Rule of 1221, Francis told the friars not to preach unless they had received the proper permission to do so. Then he added, “Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds.”
A similar piece of advice was suggested by St. Peter in 1 Pet. 3:1: " Likewise you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that some, though they do not obey the word, may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives."Did anyone say it before him?
That’s how I’ve understood it.Great. Except that they are wrong. Sort of. Father Francis did not say exactly this. What he said was (from the Rule of 1221):
Pretty much the same, no?![]()
. . . and here is the Peter Herbeck article
renewalministries.net/files/newsletters/january_2014_newsletter_web.pdf
Go to page two and find:
I think most Catholics have heard this quote at
one time or another. It’s the line we as Catholics
like to use when speaking about evangelization. As
you probably know, it is attributed to St. Francis.
There is a double irony in using this phrase.
First, St. Francis never said it, and second, it is
often used to imply that somehow St. Francis only
rarely found it “necessary to use words.” The saint’s
approach to preaching couldn’t be further from
the truth. St. Francis loved to preach:
“He filled all the earth with Christ’s Gospel,
so that often in one day he would make the
circuit of four or five villages or even towns
preaching to everyone the Gospel of the
Kingdom of God: and, edifying his hearers
not less by his example than by his words,
he had made a tongue of his whole body.”
(
First Life of St. Francis, Thomas of Celano,
I suppose people might interpret it as a cop out from “preaching” but if I have an opportunity to preach but I have a reputation of being jerk, my preaching isn’t going to mean very much.Chapter IV, #97)
Exactly.I suppose people might interpret it as a cop out from “preaching” but if I have an opportunity to preach but I have a reputation of being jerk, my preaching isn’t going to mean very much.