St. Matt. 12:18

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brigid34
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The prophesy in verse 18 was spoken by Isaiah, not by Jesus. Verse 17 tells us that Jesus fulfills the prophesy of Isaiah and then gives Isaiah’s prophecy starting with verse 18.

But the Pharisees went out and took counsel against him to put him to death. When Jesus realized this, he withdrew from that place. Many (people) followed him, and he cured them all, but he warned them not to make him known. This was to fulfill what had been spoken through Isaiah the prophet: "Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved in whom I delight; I shall place my spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles. He will not contend or cry out, nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets. A bruised reed he will not break, a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory. And in his name the Gentiles will hope." (Matthew 12:14-21)

The prophecy is about Jesus and was spoken by Isaiah. It’s not about Paul.

-Tim-
 
I believe that Jesus could be recalling:
16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
But most likely the Isaiah prophecy as Timothy said.
 
Mat 12:17 **That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaias the prophet, saying: **
Mat 12:18 Behold my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved in whom my soul hath been well pleased. I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, I will uphold him: my elect, my soul delighteth in him: I have given my spirit upon him, he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
Haydock Catholic Commentary
Mat 12:18 Behold my servant, &c. The words are out of the prophet Isaias, Chap. xli. 1. And it is observed that the Jews, before the coming of Jesus, used to expound them of their Messias. (Witham) — Our Lord Jesus Christ may be called the Servant of the Almighty, because, as himself assures us, he came down not to be served, but to serve; or, as St. Remigius says, not on account of his divinity, but on account of his humanity, which he received from the pure flesh and blood of the immaculate Virgin. (in St. Thomas Aquinas) There is some difference in the text of Isaias, whence this is taken. The apostles and evangelists did not confine themselves to cite the very words of the text, but only the sense. (Bible de Vence)
 
I hadn’t seen that it was the prophecy of Isaiah. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
 
Yes, this scripture refers to our Lord Jesus Christ and is taken from the prophecy in Isaiah 42.

However, there is a prophecy in Isaiah 49:6 that refers to the apostle Paul and to Barnabas: “Behold, I have given thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation even to the farthest part of the earth.”

Acts 13:46-48: “Then Paul and Barnabas said boldly:…For so the Lord hath commanded us:* ‘I have set thee to be the light of the Gentiles; that thou mayest be for salvation unto the utmost part of the earth’*. And the Gentiles hearing it, were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to life everlasting, believed”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top