St.Teresa of Avila Interior Castle online!

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa4Catholics
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
jimmy:
Here is a site that has St. Teresa’s books among many other authors. It is pretty comprehensive.

Catholic Books
OK, that just went into my St Teresa of Avila folder…(Yes, I have a folder that is nothing but…Did I mention that I :yup: just :love: love this woman??).

Thanks for the great post!!! St. Teresa is my patron saint. I have read her works in the past. (of course being my patron saint) This post was a nice reminder for me to read it again. My mom (now in heaven) was going to name me after the little flower until the rectory secretary talked to her about Teresa of Avila. She is awesome! (not that the Little Flower is not! - she has come to my rescue on many many occassions!!!)

Blessings!
Teelynn

“St. Michael the Archangel defend us in battle”…

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
Okay any reflections on this?:eek:

Before passing on, I want you to consider what will be the state of this castle, so beautiful and resplendent this Orient pearl, this tree of life, planted in the living waters of life[28] – namely, in God – when the soul falls into a mortal sin. No thicker darkness exists, and there is nothing dark and black which is not much less so than this. You need know only one thing about it – that, although the Sun Himself, Who has given it all its splendour and beauty, is still there in the centre of the soul, it is as if He were not there for any participation which the soul has in Him, though it is as capable of enjoying Him as is the crystal of reflecting the sun. While in a state like this the soul will find profit in nothing, and hence, being as it is in mortal sin, none of the good works it may do will be of any avail[29] to win it glory; for they will not have their origin in that First Principle, which is God, through Whom alone our virtue is true virtue. And, since this soul has separated itself from Him, it cannot be pleasing in His eyes; for, after all, the intention of a person who commits a mortal sin is not to please Him but to give pleasure to the devil; and, as the devil is darkness itself, the poor soul becomes darkness itself likewise.
I think it is important to note that while in a state of mortal sin, it doesn’t matter what I do in terms of eternal salvation. If, in a state of mortal sin, a soul continues to participate in acts that appear to be merciful to the creatures that surround it, do the acts themselves become “darkness” themselves?

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
I am so excited!! I have the book but this is worth discussing and reflecting on here anyone want to go for it?🙂 catholictreasury.info/InteriorCastle/ic5.htm

I am sure that anyone who finds it harmful to realize that it is possible for God to grant such favours during this our exile must be greatly lacking in humility and in love of his neighbour; for otherwise how could we help rejoicing that God should grant these favours to one of our brethren when this in no way hinders Him from granting them to ourselves, and that His Majesty should bestow an understanding of His greatness upon anyone soever? Sometimes He will do this only to manifest His power, as He said of the blind man to whom He gave his sight, when the Apostles asked Him if he were suffering for his own sins or for the sins of his parents.[23] He grants these favours, then, not because those who receive them are holier than those who do not, but in order that His greatness may be made known, as we see in the case of Saint Paul and the Magdalen, and in order that we may praise Him in His creatures.
Any reflections?:yup:
I think it is interesting to note that even those who are given favors are given favors only for the glory of God and not for personal gain. If one gains personally from the favors, does that negate them or corrupt them? I think in terms of the fame and honor accorded some of our present day Catholic evangalists. How do they keep their humilty? It must be very difficult.

40.png
LSK:
I think it is interesting to note that even those who are given favors are given favors only for the glory of God and not for personal gain. If one gains personally from the favors, does that negate them or corrupt them? I think in terms of the fame and honor accorded some of our present day Catholic evangalists. How do they keep their humilty? It must be very difficult.
It is surely a grace form God to be able to remain humble.🙂

More that simply receiving grace from God in order to be humble, one must be willing to behave with humility. Just as faith without works is dead I would think grace without demonstration of its power would be, well, just a wonderful gift rather than one that could affect the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back