Stages of faith?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LongingForLight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LongingForLight

Guest
Has anyone ever seen or read a good description of common stages that people go through in their faith journey as Catholics? I know that reading about the common stages of marriage was very helpful to me, and I would love to see how people continue growing when they are where I am.

Not because I’m out of ideas, more because there is so much to do and I’m not sure what to focus on first 🙂 And because I’m curious 😃
 
Has anyone ever seen or read a good description of common stages that people go through in their faith journey as Catholics? I know that reading about the common stages of marriage was very helpful to me, and I would love to see how people continue growing when they are where I am.

Not because I’m out of ideas, more because there is so much to do and I’m not sure what to focus on first 🙂 And because I’m curious 😃
Hi “LFL” 👋 I think… what you’re talking about are the 3 stages of Christian Perfection. They are… the Purgative Way… the Illumative Way… and the Unitive Way. Fr. Groeschel recently had a series on the steps in the spiritual life… on “Sunday Night Live”. It was quite interesting.

I can only speak from my own experience… but for a simple soul… it can be difficult to tell where you truly are, in this spiritual journey (if not impossible, as it has been for me). But my humble opinion for a plan, to encourage growth in the faith… is frequent reception of the Sacraments of Penance and the Eucharist. I would also recommend daily Mass and/or Eucharistic Adoration, for anyone who is able to get there.

Here is a link… where you can read more about the 3 stages of Christian Perfection. I hope this is what you’re looking for. God bless you.

newadvent.org/cathen/14254a.htm
 
Piggybacking on what MarieVeronica said, here’s a link from EWTN that I’ve found helpful:

Mysticism in General This link briefly explains the Purgative, Illuminative and Unitive ways of the spiritual life.
 
The classic work on stages of faith in human development is “Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development” by James Fowler. Fowler builds on the work of Piaget, Erikson, and others in the field of human psychological development.

A good book tying modern psychology to the classic spiritual path through the Purgative Way, the Illuminative Way, and finally the Unitive Way, see Benedict Groeschel’s “Spiritual Passages: The Psychology of Spiritual Development.”

Both books are classics in their own way.
 
I HAVE FR. GROESCHEL’S CD’S. ON LONG DRIVES I LISTEN TO HIM. THE FIRST CD WAS A LITTLE CONFUSING TO ME. BUT I JUST PLAYED IT OVER AND OVER UNTIL I “GOT” IT! HE IS QUITE A STORYTELLER AND VERY EASY TO LISTEN TO. 👋
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top