L
Louise71
Guest
Please could someone tell me why there are statues in Catholic churches when the Bible says not to make graven images? Many thanks, Louise
People who oppose religious statuary forget about the many passages where the Lord commands the making of statues. For example: “And you shall make two cherubim of gold *; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece of the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be” (Ex. 25:18–20).Please could someone tell me why there are statues in Catholic churches when the Bible says not to make graven images? Many thanks, Louise
Does God tell Moses to make a graven image in Numbers, to save the Israelites from the serpents? Isn’t Moses instructed to place graven images above the Arc of the Covenant? Isn’t Solomon instructed to place graven images in the Temple?Please could someone tell me why there are statues in Catholic churches when the Bible says not to make graven images? Many thanks, Louise
I just said the same thing to my wifeI sense a troll
Statues are holy reminders of the saints. We do not worship or adore the saints, we venerate them (that is we honor and appreciate them for their holiness). We do not pray to statues. We pray to the Saints that they, whom we know are in heaven, will guide us to live holy lives like them so that we may be spend eternal life with God, Our Father, in heaven.Please could someone tell me why there are statues in Catholic churches when the Bible says not to make graven images? Many thanks, Louise
Not to pray to graven images—big difference.Please could someone tell me why there are statues in Catholic churches when the Bible says not to make graven images? Many thanks, Louise
Greetings Louise,Please could someone tell me why there are statues in Catholic churches when the Bible says not to make graven images? Many thanks, Louise
Hello Timorg,I don’t really mind the statues. I wonder, though, where prayer to saints come to mind? This has been a question resounding in my mind since I have learned that Catholics pray to Saints.
I think it is James where it is stated “that the prayers of a righteous man availeth much”…so those in heaven, when we ask them to pray for us, to send our prayers, pleas with their help to God.I don’t really mind the statues. I wonder, though, where prayer to saints come to mind? This has been a question resounding in my mind since I have learned that Catholics pray to Saints.
Hello Louise and welcome,Please could someone tell me why there are statues in Catholic churches when the Bible says not to make graven images? Many thanks, Louise
We pray to the people that the statues represent.I’m not sure what the Church’s official response to praying to statues is, but the way I see it is it’s the same as asking a friend to pray for you in time of need.
Although “pray to statues” is technically correct, its taken on a misconception among our Christian brothers. In many circles, “pray to” equals “worship”. So, a second elementary point for CAF posters to explain is that praying does not always equal worship.We pray to the people that the statues represent.
Statues… an elementary point for CAF posters to explain!
Peace,
Phil
Hi,Although “pray to statues” is technically correct, its taken on a misconception among our Christian brothers. In many circles, “pray to” equals “worship”. So, a second elementary point for CAF posters to explain is that praying does not always equal worship.