Statues vs. idolatry debate: need assistence

  • Thread starter Thread starter ltravis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure thing… private parts don’t show. 😛

And again you are missing the point. Catholic statutes state this is my g-d.
Are you saying that statues** talk** to you? They tell you things? :eek:
Catholics make this graven image, that is in the likeness of man and the Almighty states do not do this. So why Catholics make this graven image of J on the cross and have him standing ever so tall in the yard in front of their church is beyond me 🤷
We do it as a reminder of His sacrifice.

Now, tell me – have you ever eaten a ham sandwich? Do you trim the corners of your beard? Does your wife keep separate dishes for milk and meat?
 
Are you saying that statues** talk** to you? They tell you things? :eek:

We do it as a reminder of His sacrifice.

Now, tell me – have you ever eaten a ham sandwich? Do you trim the corners of your beard? Does your wife keep separate dishes for milk and meat?
You can do it for whatever reason you want but G-d says not to…so go ahead and disobey His command.

Ham sandwhich!?! G-d forbid that I will ever do that. Actually, I did when I was a Christian. Now that I am a Jew I would never ever put unkosher food in my mouth. Nope, I don’t trim my beard - I am a woman. However, my husband has a beard and yes he follows the “…don’t trim law” AND A BIG YES, I DO keep separate dishes for milk and meat.
 
You can do it for whatever reason you want but G-d says not to…so go ahead and disobey His command.

Ham sandwhich!?! G-d forbid that I will ever do that. Actually, I did when I was a Christian. Now that I am a Jew I would never ever put unkosher food in my mouth. Nope, I don’t trim my beard - I am a woman. However, my husband has a beard and yes he follows the “…don’t trim law” AND A BIG YES, I DO keep separate dishes for milk and meat.
So all Christians are wrong? You attack us, each and every one?

Tell me, how many commandments are there?
 
Are you saying that statues** talk** to you? They tell you things? :eek:
Well, of course statues don’t talk.

Psalm 115 (King James Version)

1Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth’s sake.

2Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is now their God?

3But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

**4Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands.

5They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: **
**6They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not: **
**7They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat. **
**8They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them. **

9O Israel, trust thou in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.
 
Well, of course statues don’t talk.

Psalm 115 (King James Version)

1Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth’s sake.

2Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is now their God?

3But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

**4Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands.

5They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: **
**6They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not: **
**7They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat. **
**8They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them. **

9O Israel, trust thou in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.
And yet you, yourself posted this:
And again you are missing the point. Catholic statutes state this is my g-d.
 
And yet you, yourself posted this:
🤷 🤷 🤷 Sure I posted that. Did not man make the statutes of J on the cross and standing outside the church? Is this not a statute in the image of man? Does it not have a mouth that can not speak. And my statement is it is beyond me why Christians disobey G-d?
 
🤷 🤷 🤷 Sure I posted that. Did not man make the statutes of J on the cross and standing outside the church? Is this not a statute in the image of man? Does it not have a mouth that can not speak. And my statement is it is beyond me why Christians disobey G-d?
We’d probably make more if we could hear them talk, as you can.😛
 
We’d probably make more if we could hear them talk, as you can.😛
I am not the one with Statutes of J and Mary - I’m the Jew, dontcha know that by now with all my posts and my profile? So your statement makes no sense whatsoever.
 
I am not the one with Statutes of J and Mary - I’m the Jew, dontcha know that by now with all my posts and my profile? So your statement makes no sense whatsoever.
Yet you were the one who said:
And again you are missing the point. Catholic statutes state this is my g-d.
I never heard a Catholic claim that a statue stated or said anything to him.

By the way, tell me about animal sacrifice. I know the Jews did that a couple of thousand years ago. Have you stopped? If so, who changed the Law to cause that?
 
Sure thing… private parts don’t show. 😛

And again you are missing the point. Catholic statutes state this is my g-d.
Catholics make this graven image, that is in the likeness of man and the Almighty states do not do this. So why Catholics make this graven image of J on the cross and have him standing ever so tall in the yard in front of their church is beyond me :shrug:Shalom elechim,
Can you cite an authentic Catholic teaching that anywhere says this? I don’t think you can because it doesn’t exist and is not true.
 
Yet you were the one who said:

I never heard a Catholic claim that a statue stated or said anything to him.

aaah, I see what you mean. I should have typed that statues of Catholics are to them a representation of G-d.AND again, nobody has an answer as to why they make statues when G-d says not to.

By the way, tell me about animal sacrifice. I know the Jews did that a couple of thousand years ago. Have you stopped? If so, who changed the Law to cause that?
The Temple has been destroyed read Scripture and you will see that the 3rd Temple will be rebuilt and the sacrifices will once again resume.
 
The Temple has been destroyed read Scripture and you will see that the 3rd Temple will be rebuilt and the sacrifices will once again resume.
Where in Scripture does it say that?

The First Temple was Solomon’s Temple – built around 970 BCE and destroyed by the Babylonians in 587 BCE.

The Second Temple was Nehrubabel’s Temple, built beginning around 538 BCE and razed by Herod the Great in 19 BCE.

The Third Temple was Herod the Great’s, built beginning in 19 BCE and destroyed by the Roman General Titus in 70 CE.

After the Second Jewish Revolt (133-35 CE) the Emperor Hadrian razed Jerusalem, expelled the Jews, not allowing them to live with a day’s travel of the city. He built a a new city on the site, Aleia Capitolina, with Temple to Jupitor on the Temple Mount – the Fourth Temple.

In 632 CE, the Muslims took Jerusalem (renamed from Aleia Capitolina in the 4th Century) and built the Dome of the Rock on the Temple Mount around 690 CE – the Fifth Temple.
 
🤷 🤷 🤷 Sure I posted that. Did not man make the statutes of J on the cross and standing outside the church? Is this not a statute in the image of man? Does it not have a mouth that can not speak. And my statement is it is beyond me why Christians disobey G-d?
But what they aren’t is an idol.

I find it interesting that the phrase graven image is used. Graven is an interesting word. First meaning is from the grave but it is the third definition that the is used in scripture meaning to sculpt or carve. You said that something is always missing to make a complete human where does that allowance come from? It seems to me that it doesn’t matter if it is deformed but how it is used. If the image has half a head and it is thought of as a god than it is an idol. If it is fully formed, and is just an object it is not an idol. I believe that is what G-d was saying. By the way, how do you know that the angels on the ark were incomplete?
 
And another question – when one tithes, where does one change one’s secular money (with graven images) for money without graven imanges?
 
aaah, I see what you mean. I should have typed that statues of Catholics are to them a representation of G-d.AND again, nobody has an answer as to why they make statues when G-d says not to.
God does not say do not make statues, but do not make statues to worship

Exodus 25:18-20
Make two cherubim of beaten gold for the two ends of the propitiatory, fastening them so that one cherub springs direct from each end. The cherubim shall have their wings spread out above, covering the propitiatory with them; they shall be turned toward each other, but with their faces looking toward the propitiatory
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top