J
JakubMaximilian
Guest
Is it hard to stay Catholic in the armed forces? What branch do think would be best in this regard? Should I enlist, or try to become an officer (I’m a College Junior)?
No, not at all. The military is very supportive of religious service members. All units have a chaplain. Not all chaplains are Catholic, but every base generally has at least one priest. You will miss Mass sometimes by military necessity, but the Church understands that.Is it hard to stay Catholic in the armed forces?
They are all fine. You should choose based on what branch you want to be in. The Air Force has a rep for being evangelical, and the Marine Corps has a lot of Catholics, but any should be fine.What branch do think would be best in this regard?
I was both, started enlisted, got commissioned. Get a commission if you can, and if you think that is your calling. Its a serious thing to do, but the officer life is better in many ways, especially if you hang in for a career. If your school has a ROTC program, there may be officers there that can talk to you. If not, Marine Corps officers are recruited by “Officer Selection Officers” (not sure what the other branches call them). If you just walk into a recruiting station they may just talk you into enlisting, so make sure you carefully consider both options.Should I enlist, or try to become an officer (I’m a College Junior)?