M
MFHMFH
Guest
Re Lucy107’s comment:
Religion tends to make the difference in how one cares for another person.
No - it doesn’t.
Religion tends to make the difference in how one cares for another person.
No - it doesn’t.
Dostoevsky put this question much more passionately than Stephen Fry and the fact that he thinks he's out - thought or out - felt Dostoevsky suffices for response.It would help if you learned how to use the “QUOTE” feature.Re Lucy107’s comment:
Religion tends to make the difference in how one cares for another person.
No - it doesn’t.
Well, it could be argued that religion provides a completely different set of ground rules for what “another person” definably is.Re Lucy107’s comment:
Religion tends to make the difference in how one cares for another person.
No - it doesn’t.
You started off by saying -Thanks for the second chance. I can repost. great…I love reposting for clarification…
The context, which was not set my me, was how to relate to atheists in this area. Here’s what I posted. I hope clarification happens.
You were wondering how to convince an atheist.If suffering simply is, how do we convince an atheist that God still exists and is good?
What exactly is it that you wish to accomplish by witnessing?I think the bottom line is not a particular doctrine, but the witness of a person (Christ) who has compassion with us. The person of Christ cannot always be explicitly expressed in a satisfactory way through doctrines which seem senseless.
We witness the person of Christ by living as he did, by having compassion with others in their suffering, buy not exempting ourselves and looking the other way.
This is the primary challenge of life. At least for me it is.
Can you expand on your reply?Re Lucy107’s comment:
Religion tends to make the difference in how one cares for another person.
No - it doesn’t.
No, I was restating th question that was on the board through the last few posts.You started off by saying -
You were wondering how to convince an atheist.
Right. Didn’t say it was.To which I commented that it doesn’t seem to be the individual Catholic’s job to convince atheists of God’s existence and goodness.
What exactly is it that you wish to accomplish by witnessing?
No.That some atheist to whom you witness would convert?
The difference is that people who are pro-choice don’t portray themselves as being perfectly moral creatures, nor expect to be worshiped as such by the rest of humanity.Code:Also those who ask this question are all for inflicting suffering on the child before birth to prevent him or her from being born. 'Kill it lest it suffer' is the contradictory way of sentimental pagans.
Then what is it?No.
That’s not it.
Not sure how promoting a moral principle such as the basic right of all human beings to life constitutes an expectation of being worshiped.The difference is that people who are pro-choice don’t portray themselves as being perfectly moral creatures, nor expect to be worshiped as such by the rest of humanity.
I was not making an argument that ostensibly promoting moral virtues, on its own, creates an expectation of being worshiped.Not sure how promoting a moral principle such as the basic right of all human beings to life constitutes an expectation of being worshiped.
Or are you claiming that just having any moral principles whatsoever necessarily means that an expectation of being worshiped goes along with them?
Care to make a case for such an eventuality, or are you suggesting that just stating it is sufficient to make it true?
Please go back and read the post in context if it is important to you.Then what is it?
Then, your point was?I was not making an argument that ostensibly promoting moral virtues, on its own, creates an expectation of being worshiped.
Do you see the problem, Simon, that we see Believers have when an pro-choice atheist is criticizing a god for permitting suffering, while also sanctioning the suffering of unborn children?The difference is that people who are pro-choice don’t portray themselves as being perfectly moral creatures, nor expect to be worshiped as such by the rest of humanity.
I certainly see the problem that you think you have, but again, this is not a valid comparison. God is portrayed (and portrays himself) as infallible, endlessly benevolent, and eternally worthy of praise. A pro-choice atheist is not and does not.Do you see the problem, Simon, that we see Believers have when an pro-choice atheist is criticizing a god for permitting suffering, while also sanctioning the suffering of unborn children?
Is there any reason at all you can see for God permitting suffering?My problem is with the idea of a God who allows (or orchestrates) needless human suffering, THEN expects us to insist that he’s infallible, omni-benevolent, and eternally worthy of praise.
Certainly. He might not be able to prevent it, or he might not care enough to prevent it.Is there any reason at all you can see for God permitting suffering?
Well, then, Simon, I reject this god just as you do.Certainly. He might not be able to prevent it, or he might not care enough to prevent it.
I’m actually not an atheist because a God supervising this universe is more likely to be unable or unwilling to prevent suffering. I’m an atheist because there’s no compelling evidence to support the existence of any God.Well, then, Simon, I reject this god just as you do.
It’s interesting to note that I am an atheist as well, if this is what kind of god you mean.![]()