L
Lucy107
Guest
This is still circular.I think I understand where you are going with this, but I disagree. CS Lewis’ point about the light by which we see the truth of everything counters what you say above.
The “One Being” which contextualizes all other things also contextualizes evidence so that we begin to understand how everything fits together.
When it comes to God, the situation is unique, because God is a unique being, and above all others at that. Therefore, for ascertaining God, we cannot adequately use the same methods as we do in other fields of life, because those methods are not adequate in this one case, as the case is unique and unlike all others.This fits very well into J Warner Wallace’s view of how evidence is used to establish a case being tried in court. Yes, the evidence does support the verdict in the sense of proving it correct, however THAT is not ALL that it does. It also explains what happened, the wheres, hows, and whys, in such a complete way that the evidence accurately rebuilds the event by sufficiently explaining all of the details. Not merely “proving” it, but making it more comprehensible.
Reason and evidence helps us to more completely understand how the physical world exists, but they cannot help us understand why is does.Reason and evidence helps us to more completely understand why the physical world exists and helps us to better understand our purpose in it. I don’t think you have fully considered what evidence is and what it does.
As long as we agree that we are dependent, contingent beings, we cannot, by our own efforts, ascertain our own purpose. It’s only our Creator and Supplier who can determine our purpose, and, under certain circumstances, make it known to us.
To use the Gospels to prove the validity of the Gospels is circular reasoning.I don’t think it is. It only appears to be circular reasoning and Wallace explains why in several other articles. When viewed objectively as a piece of evidence in its own right, each Gospel, for example, can be assessed for its reliability and accuracy on its own merit. This only appears to be circular reasoning to those who have a bias against using the Gospels as evidence to begin with.
To use X to prove the validity of X is circular reasoning.
I argue for belief in God on the grounds of divine mercy: “I believe in God because God has made me so” is, in my opinion, the only internally consistent “reason” for belief in God.His points should not be so easily dismissed based upon reading one article - he substantiates everything he says throughout his web site and in the books he has written. He applies to unravelling the evidential case for Christianity everything he learned as an expert detective. I wouldn’t dismiss his work so easily.
Of course, such an approach doesn’t leave much for talking, and probably is entirely useless for the purposes of evangelization, at least the sort of evangelization we see in the mainstream.