P
Peter_Plato
Guest
I guess this is where we differ. You see it as a matter of authority, I see it as a matter of ontology.As a non-baptized person in a subordinate position I don’t really have much choice: I either unquestioningly submit to what I am being told and try to get myself to believe it; or I do my best to challenge those supposedly superior to me and get them to prove their supremacy. All religious arguments are ultimately arguments of appealing to authority, so there is minimum room for dialogue.
It isn’t that we either accept the authority of superiors or go our own way, it is that we come to know and be united to the truth by a process of dialogue, reconciliation (because we are fallen) and assent / covenant.
God is who makes us who we are and it is the love of God that unites us to him. Submission in this sense is much like submitting to the truth or to goodness itself. There is no superior or inferior; just what is, as it is, because God is.
Does that mean we have a “right” of some kind to question to truth? Why would we? It is the truth – what IS in the most ultimate, absolute and final sense.