How they died isn’t a really a concern- the point is that the ailments that plague humanity predate the fall.
Are you saying that God should create beings that don’t die? Whether it is by sickness, natural calamities or by other predators? That is a ridiculous thing to create. If things don’t die and they just multiply, you won’t have room or resources eventually to support an endless growing population.
Well, no- just because not all viruses are intrinsically bad doesn’t mean that particular ones aren’t. Moreover, I object to the ones which make children suffer- lethal or otherwise.
I’ve been using smallpox in this manner- sure, not a huge problem today, but it ravaged humans for millennia. It’s nice for us that we don’t have to worry about, but too late for the millions of children that suffered and died as a result of this particular (supposed) creation of your god. I’d still say these things are intrinsically bad (from the human POV), but we’ve just found ways to mitigate them.
Bottom line is you have no idea whether the absence of any microorganism would cause any other problems elsewhere. Any knowledge gained is though accumulating prior knowledge. Knowledge to cure any disease doesn’t come on a plate with ribbons. You are suggesting that all sicknesses should come with pre-packed cures? Then how would a doctor learn? How would a cure come about? If scientists today create an artificial super lethal bug in the lab and the only cure is the smallpox virus, what would you say then? The same way cowpox was used to generate a vaccine , the smallpox virus is used to create a vaccine for the artificial lethal bug. This is conjecture but the point is we just don’t know whether something bad can be used for something good. You only see the bad in the world and that’s sad. There are millions who died from diseases in the past before a cure was found. I guess you would want to use that to shoot God too.
I don’t know how to create a best possible world and neither do you. So there is no need to ask why didn’t God create the world in a different way because you have no measuring yardstick what the best possible world is.
Who says that it is? It seems quite blindingly obvious that it isn’t. Has the Vatican stated this belief publicly somewhere?
I don’ t need Vatican approval to say this. You don’t believe God exist or he exists but imperfect. I believe he is perfect and created the best possible world. It is your POV vs mine. You justify your POV, I justify mine.
Well, yes. To return to the minefield example- your logic is basically “well, ya mines explode when they’re stepped on. Not god’s fault!” The fact that bad combinations of DNA exist is wholly the fault of your god, since he is the one that determined what DNA would look like and how different combinations would interact.
If the best possible world includes suffering, you have to accept that it maximises overall good. If DNA of a particular type is eliminated, then all possible good combinations with that DNA is also eliminated and it won’t be the best possible world because overall net good is not maximised. Basically throwing out the baby with the bath water.
This would be a separate argument that I’m not going to tackle right now- thus far, we’ve only taken aim at pieces of your gods creation that cause suffering in children entirely naturally.
I’m not arguing that your god is bad, just imperfect. Moreover, I haven’t objected to death, just suffering in children.
If your approach is that suffering must be eliminated, then it also mean you are aiming for a less than optimal world where overall good is not maximized. Then you can also attack God for not building the best possible world. You can’t have your cake and eat it. Since you don’t know how to create the best possible world, you are just an armchair critic accumulating all bad points and just finger pointing God for being “imperfect” when the accuser is in no position to judge what perfection is.
I’m not asking him for an explanation. Perhaps I could try, but I suspect he’d invoke his 5th amendment rights. Instead, I’m asking you, why this supposedly perfect being seems to create innocent people and then hoist suffering upon them.
Making babies requires 2 adults, male and female. God didn’t force the babies on to them. So why don’t you accuse the parents since they “created” the babies?
Ask yourself , why are you targeting God? If you hate God, just declare it upfront. There is no need to beat about the bush and question his method of how to create a world. If you don’t believe God exist but others do, then you are uncharitable trying to impair the believe of others by coming here to CAF where you know many of us are believers… You are not bringing anything positive to the table. What good does that bring to the world by your actions? Why attack an “imaginary” God? That can’t bring you happiness. But may cause unhappiness to someone else. So what you are doing is not maximizing good.
Even if you are sure that God doesn’t exist or he exist in an imperfect form, how would attacking God solve the problems you have brought up? It doesn’t change a thing. So you are not bringing any value to the table. You do not provide solutions, only complaints and criticisms.
Believe in God maximises our happiness/good for us. Even if you remain in your unbelief, you are not maximising anything, just stagnant. So in order to maximise the happiness/good in the world, you should therefore encourage even more belief in God for believers to maximise overall good/happiness. Attacking the belief of others is NOT maximising overall good /happiness. It diminishes.