I had no idea what I was getting into in 1976, my first experience going to Steubenville as a teen. It was paid for by my aunt’s boyfriend. we packed up like sardines on a school bus and drove from Lafayette, Louisiana to Steubenville. It was the best experience of my life. The following year I did it again and felt a calling to the priesthood. I did it 4 times and loved it. That was the experience that gave me the sense of a deep conversion that conformed with my Chrisitan upbringing and the “feeling” of accepting Jesus into my heart, mind, body, soul, etc. I fell deeply in love with God. I went to the seminary and saw things I really shouldn’t have experienced for many of the young men not being truly transformed and almost trying to be overly sophisticated. Things happened and I left…etc.
Jump up 2 summers ago and we went down to Lafouche Parish to visit a good friend of mine from the seminary that I haven’t seen since 1980, when he graduated. He is now a very holy priest. Everybody knows him so I wont say his name. But he exposed us to the Steubenville on the Bayou, similar to the Steubenville experience. Bishop Jacobs is wonderful and an old friend of my family. He is truly a holy Bishop that I’d love to serve as a deacon now that I’m married. But getting down there would be difficult. In fact our DRE recently told me he met him once and really fell in love with him. And he’s not the kind of guy that gets excited over people like that. We’ve passed emails back and forth a few times so its special to me.
Your son, whehter he realizes it or not, may find an experience he’ll cherish for the rest of his life. I’ll bet he’ll love it so much he may want to to it again. That’s my gut feeling. Don’t be surprised if he comes back with a girlfriend or a crush. I did both. The last year I went as a chaperon and want to start up a group to travel up there again. Just need the time to do it, which is partly why I’ve quit a good job to go teach. He’ll make lifelong friends there.