This has been an interesting thread because I’ve been truly seeking some answers on this topic. I’m glad I’ve come across this. I have a few more questions about some of the things that have been brought up so far. First of all ‘Scripturewisdom’ didn’t share many bible text which make it hard for me to really see his points. Also:
You’re making the mistake of equating eternal existence with eternal life. Everyone will “exist” eternally; but not in the same state. Some in the state of eternal life (love, joy, peace, etc in heaven with God) and some in the state of eternal death (anguish, suffering, in hell, rejecting the presence of God). That is Scriptural (Mt. 25:31-46)
So in the Matthew passage we are to see that eternal death actually = being alive and “(anguish, suffering, in hell, rejecting the presence of God)” forever? Verse 46 seems to make a contrast between life and a punishment that is everlasting. And I wonder if there’s a reason it says punishment instead of punishing. Everlasting punishment would be different from everlasting punishing. Punishment sounds more finite.
Scripture is clear that there is eternal fire, eternal condemnation. Eternal means “no end”
References: Mt. 25:46 eternal punishment.
2 Thess 2:9 They shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord… (destruction goes on eternally)
We cannot change or deny what Scripture says just because we don’t like it.
I’ve been trying to find the phrase 'eternal condemnation in the bible, could you give a scripture reference for it.? Also, 2 Thes 2:9 doesn’t say anything about destruction or exclusion. perhaps you were eluding to verse 8 that says: ‘And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:’ My dictionary says:
consume |kənˈsoōm|
verb trans. ]
eat, drink, or ingest (food or drink) : people consume a good deal of sugar in drinks.
• buy (goods or services).
• use up (a resource) : these machines consume 5 percent of the natural gas in the U.S.
• (esp. of a fire) completely destroy : the fire spread rapidly, consuming many homes.
• (usu. be consumed) (of a feeling) absorb all of the attention and energy of (someone) : Carolyn was consumed with guilt | [as adj. ] ( consuming) a consuming passion.
Again the verbiage in 2 Thes 2:8 makes the destruction and consumption appear very finite.
God does not desire that we suffer eternally in hell. He tells us of it’s reality in hopes that we will change our lives so that we never have to go there. He wants us to love ourselves enough to care about where we spend eternity.
That sounds very good. Ezekiel 18:32 “For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.” And in the previously mentioned verse Matthew 25:41 it looks to me that hell was only prepared for the devil and his angels. That God did not and does not intend for any ‘people’ to be there. That makes sense.
Would you please reference the Scripture passage/s that are “clear” about stating this - that the eternally damned burn only until there is nothing left to burn. There is the sense in which that is true - that is, the damned rebel eternally and so the “burning” is eternal.
Yes. This is a question I would want to ask as well. Are there scriptural references for the statements. I actually came across something that might add to this topic. Malachi 4:1-3 “1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.”
Also, if I compare Jude 7 with 2 Pet 2:6 I end up seeing that ‘suffering the vengeance of eternal fire’ leads to ‘ashes’ and an ‘overthrow’. My dictionary says:
overthrow
verb |ˌōvərˈθrō| ( past -threw; past part. -thrown) trans. ]
1 remove forcibly from power : military coups which had attempted to overthrow the king.
• put an end to (something), typically by the use of force or violence : their subversive activities are calculated to overthrow parliamentary democracy.
• archaic knock or throw to the ground : one who is already prostrate cannot be overthrown.
I hope that there will be some replies to this thread although i see that it’s old. I would seriously like some thoughts / answers. thank you very much
-joseph