There’s a lot of politics and ideology involved in this issue, so much that I naturally avoid it. But I want to point out the issue may be with the language.
For example, I know people who would not like the statement, “science may find a way to cure autism”.
Many people don’t see autism like cancer or an infection, for example. They don’t necessarily like the language of a “cure”. It’s more complex.
I can only imagine that those of a homosexual inclination would not be very pleased of some speaking of their sexual preference as if you were speaking of cancer or the flu.
As someone who knows a bit about science but nothing about medicine, I doubt that something so complex can be “cured”, any more than we can “cure” , say, depression. Many don’t even see an issue specifically with the attraction, as it has been brought forth many times that one can be chaste and holy no matter what attractions they experience.
And certainly many heterosexual people struggle much with addictions to sex, pornography, and whatnot. Of course, one can argue forever about natural inclinations and all, but in the end, it all boils down to concupiscence. There’s no “cure” for that one outside of the spiritual and ascetical.