Strategy for reading Church Documents

• Thread starter Thread starter bcastro1980
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bcastro1980

Hello,

I hear on catholic radio very frequently references to church documents and I find them always interesting and more often than not, I have a desire to read them myself. However, when I start, I do not ever finish. I find that the 30+ pages of text is a bit much to take in, apart from all the readings I have while in school, and in keeping up with the daily mass readings and morning and evening prayers.

My question is, what are ways to go about studying and learning what Holy Mother Church is saying to us?

Thanks for your help

Brian Castro

Perhaps it might be better to put reading of Church documents on the back burner for a while; you seem to be doing enough at the moment.

I won’t recommend you read someone’s else’s opinions on the documents because dissenters can and do say that the documents support their views. The only sure way to find out what the Church teaches is to read the documents for yourself.

A better use of your time (I am in much the same strait) would be to skim the documents, but a more fruitful exercise is to read the writings of the Early Fathers (Faith of the Early Fathers (vol I) is a great resource, highly recommended).

Thanks for your help. I will try reading the Faith of the Early Fathers when time permits.

Also, check out yor Diocesan Office of Worship or Office Of Religious Education if they are ofering classes on the various documents. Remember, there are litterally hundreds of documents, only a few used everyday in liturgy, music, Catecesis, etc.

Start with:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church 2nd Ed ISBN 1-57455-110-8
and
"The Companion to the Catechism of the Catholic Church A Compendium of Texts Referred to in the Catechism of the Catholic Church Ignatius Press (Note this is the selected reference published in one book and referenced to the CCC. It is not someones opinion on the CCC. ISBN 0-89870-451-0 (Paperback).

Also get a copy and use “Modern Catholic Dictionary” John A. Hardon S.J. ISBN 0-9672989-1-1

Father Hardon was a very orthodox Catholic author and was an advisor to Pope Paul VI he also wrote a Catachism for Blessed Mother Therese of Calcutta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back