Stress

  • Thread starter Thread starter kyleboerner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyleboerner

Guest
Hello Catholic Friends,

Does anyone have any great Catholic resources for dealing with stress? I love the scripture about “the birds not worrying where they’re going to receive their next meal”, but to me, the more resources the better.

Thanks,
Kyle
 
For something that is specifically Catholic, I think the Rosary is effective stress relief. Look into contemplative prayer also.

Your question kind of has me wondering thought. Why are you looking for things that are specifically Catholic? Diet, exercise, journaling, socializing, works of charity, and hobbies are all effective stress relief that aren’t Catholic. Is there something wrong with any of these?
 
We live in a culture driven by shallow materialism. Millions are engaged in the quest for monetary rewards. It is difficult to find peace in the midst of this nonsense. Commercials abound everywhere. There are video commercials playing at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc. Televisions are blaring in airport waiting areas, hotel dining areas, etc.

These things result in stress and pressure at every turn. So we must find ways to dial back the visual, and turn down the audio of commercialism. When we get to our quiet place, the silent time is conducive to reflection, prayer,meditation, and devotion. It also fosters deeper thinking. Letting go and allowing God’s influence guide us will restore our spiritual and mental energies.

Regarding Catholic things, when I do turn on the TV, I like to watch EWTN programs. They are a wonderful way to stay tuned into the Church and tone down the shallow values of commercialism.
 
Nothing relieves stress more than turning our hearts, thoughts, and hand outward. Do some charity work. You’ll be amazed at how satisfying it is. You will get more out of it than the persons you assist. That’s usually how it goes.
There is a Saint Vincent DePaul Society somewhere waiting fro a good guy like yourself.
or, try a food bank. Helping people feed their children really puts things into perspective.
Good luck!
AND…pray the rosary. On a park bench, at the shore, on a rick in the mountains. Anywhere quiet.
 
Here is a book I ordered call Managing Stress with the Help of Your Catholic Faith by Mary Lou Rosien. I ordered it from Our Sunday Visitor. It is only 60 pages and was $5.95. I found it helpful.
 
Considering the world we live in today the source of stress is obvious.
Really?

It could be almost anything: school, in-law problems, health issues, car troubles…
what are you presuming the source is exactly? I myself, can’t read minds.

He doesn’t have to tell us, it’s just that it’s helpful to have a bit more info when suggesting methods for stress reduction.
 
Really?

It could be almost anything: school, in-law problems, health issues, car troubles…
what are you presuming the source is exactly? I myself, can’t read minds.

He doesn’t have to tell us, it’s just that it’s helpful to have a bit more info when suggesting methods for stress reduction.
Most of us have family stress, financial stress, stress at work, stress from 24 hour news (most of which is not good). To me, stress is stress. We all experience it at some time or other and I know I usually have stress from multiple sources.
 
What’s the source or nature of your stress?
… it’s helpful to have a bit more info when suggesting methods for stress reduction.
That’s it. By my question, I meant to examine whether the source of the stress can be controlled. For example, one has various options for easing financial difficulties, but not a lot of options for curing a chronic illness. If the source of the stress cannot be controlled, then we need to talk about coping strategies.
 
Try to find out why you are stressed. If you know why you are stressed then try to create a plan of action to resolve whatever is making you stressed.
For comfort and reassurance I recommend the psalms.
 
Hi friends,

Sorry for the delay. I had trouble logging in.

robertmidwest - I’m really looking for “something new”. I always like to fight off the stress (and everything else bad) with something new; eg. new prayer, new form of exercise, so it doesn’t seem repetitive, etc.

mh2007 - so right. quiet time helps sooo much!

pianistclare - helping others has been helping, yes, it also reminds me that when we’re not idle there is no room/time for stress.

7 Sorrows - thanks for the book reference!

Beryllos / pianistclare / 7 Sorrows / Beryllos- main source is my career (it’s the trunk), esp the uncontrollable parts that cause stress, and the branches (finances, relocation, job search, coworkers, etc.) are many things that stem from it. So, I guess things that which aren’t always/absolutely “controllable”, out of our hands, that’s frustrating :eek: I have a new job prospect and considering starting a biz with a friend (helping a little to fight the stress).

Also, someone shared this with me… looking forward to listening to it. 🙂 bulldogcatholic.org/030214-this-is-good-god-is-good/

God bless you all. Thank you, Kyle
 
Hello Catholic Friends,

Does anyone have any great Catholic resources for dealing with stress? I love the scripture about “the birds not worrying where they’re going to receive their next meal”, but to me, the more resources the better.

Thanks,
Kyle
My friend recently got me “Searching for and Maintaining Peace” by Father Jacques Philippe, which I’ve been working through–it’s been really helpful. I also like to read a psalm every morning first thing.

Peace,
blue
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top