Strong disconnect between my intellect and heart

  • Thread starter Thread starter LotusCarsLtd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LotusCarsLtd

Guest
Again, I’m not sure what forum this belongs in so this is going here.

I have noticed a strong disconnect between my intellect and my heart, something that became readily apparent thanks to my therapist’s assistance.

Take for instance my efforts to learn the bass guitar: I love music and my friends and I are trying hard to start a band (we have issues with practice spaces, etc) but I couldn’t explain to you why I want to play in a band except that I like playing music; there is no explaining it.

But it also goes the other way too: I struggle to pray the Rosary daily but I cannot tell you why I want to try in the first place. I do it because I’ve heard about the wonderful spiritual benefits of the Rosary and decided to start doing it myself. I do sometimes feel good afterwards knowing that I have done a great deed but the underlying logic for doing so isn’t heartfelt but “head felt”; I feel I need to continue doing it because I know it’s immensely beneficial to me and others through the economy of the Holy Spirit but I don’t feel this in my heart. I fully understand the reasons behind it and know that I must continue but there isn’t the same kind of “passion” in my heart as there is in my head…and what I know in my head isn’t passion but cold, hard knowledge.

Another good issue is the pro-life position. I am pro-life because I know abortion is wrong and know that losing any life is a terrible thing especially when the life is never given a chance to be born. But until I attended a pro-life conference recently I felt nothing in my heart about the issue. I knew in my head abortion was wrong and knew the importance of doing something to stop it but felt nothing in my heart. And long after that conference I am back to feeling nothing again but knowing the truth. I do it because I know it to be right, not because I feel anything towards it.

So I basically don’t know what to do about this. My therapist has noted this disconnect and the fact that I often over-intellectualize (I’ve noticed this too) but I haven’t discovered what to do about it. My therapist often complains that I will give her intellectual reasons as to why I feel a certain way, etc. but never tell her how I feel about them or provide my own reasons for why I want to do what I do. One of the examples was waiting until marriage to have sex: I’m doing it because I know it’s right but I have absolutely no personal reasons why I want to do it and no explanations of my own to explain my actions. What’s more is that my reasoning for avoiding premarital sex isn’t so much because it offends God as much as because of a vague, distant understanding that it is wrong and I am expected to avoid such behavior. The same goes for other issues both negative and positive.

I’m basically stuck and I don’t know what to do! It often seems that faith for me is heavily intellectual and occasionally heart-felt. I’ve had many heart-felt experiences before to confirm me in my faith, vocation, career path, etc. but it often seems that my daily life goes by as an intellectual pursuit devoid of much passion behind it.

Hope this makes sense!

[EDIT] I should STRONGLY state that I have very strong feelings about many things including my faith, my music, morality, and such. But I still need help with this intellectual disconnect.
 
At some point in time, we all feel this way. Being an intellectual, I have been in your place, and I have felt the numbness you feel. Here are some tips I can give you:
  • Stay calm as much as possible
  • Think about what gifts God has given you
  • Think about what unique abilities God has given you
  • Use your unique abilities to love and cherish others
  • Thank God every day. Because we are intellectuals, we analyze one thing at a time, and move on. Write a list of how you feel blessed that particular day and you’ll see over time that you will realize just how blessed you are.
  • Don’t over-analyze your mistakes. If you make a mistake, move on. In the time you’re beating yourself up, you could be doing some else a favor. Needless to say, do your best to learn from mistakes.
  • God is in control. Don’t every decide you are lost and cannot feel joy, because you will. God will give you his gifts as you are ready to receive them.
God Bless! :heaven:
 
I struggle to pray the Rosary daily but I cannot tell you why I want to try in the first place. I do it because I’ve heard about the wonderful spiritual benefits of the Rosary and decided to start doing it myself. I do sometimes feel good afterwards knowing that I have done a great deed but the underlying logic for doing so isn’t heartfelt but “head felt”; I feel I need to continue doing it because I know it’s immensely beneficial to me and others through the economy of the Holy Spirit but I don’t feel this in my heart. I fully understand the reasons behind it and know that I must continue but there isn’t the same kind of “passion” in my heart as there is in my head…and what I know in my head isn’t passion but cold, hard knowledge.]
Our Mother Mary has told us many times, like at Fatima, to pray the Rosary. She didn’t say that you had to feel it in your heart. Just pray it. So, pray it once a day regardless of your "heart’ feelings.

You also mention about not ‘feeling’ from your heart against abortion. Or not ‘feeling’ wrong about pre-matital sex, though your head ‘KNOWS’ they are wrong. That’s all you (really) need to know. You cannot rely on your feelings. Everyone goes through ‘dry’ spiritual periods where they don’t feel ‘anything’. Mother Theresa, we now know, ‘felt’ nothing for many many years, but relied on her ‘head’ knowledge, knowing right from wrong.

When a couple gets married, they don’t promise to “FEEL” love for each other from their hearts. They promise simply to LOVE. We make a promise to love, not a promise to feel it. Your therapist is correct. You over intellectualise, As Fr Groeschel says: try to be a pessimist, not an optimist. Never expect anything to go too well, but just be. Then, when things, -many things- DO go well, it’s a big plus. His philosophy is that you will always be happier as a pessimist. (Taken with a bit of a 'grain of salt) , but there’s some truth to all of this. Actually this whole philosophy has worked for me for years now, AND, I’m mostly joyful, even when I don’t feel anything from my heart.
 
I don’t know that I have a good answer for you, but some people are like that. I am like that (or maybe I need to see someone ;)). Overall, I think it is very difficult to sustain an intense emotion.

Moreover, from the Catholic point of view, I do not think this is a bad thing. We please God more when we do something out of obedience rather than because we feel like it, because when we feel like it, we are getting something out of it, but when we don’t feel it, we are aligning our wills with God’s will for *Him. *

If you try to maintain that attitude, which is probably better than the one you expressed of just following the rules for no particular reason, and pray for His help in keeping your mind the way He wants it, then I think all would be well, insofar as I can tell from what you have written.

Also, I think that men tend to be more like you than women, and that could be affecting how you each are looking at this.
 
And you might ask her why she sees this as being a problem. (I myself am now rather curious about this:rolleyes:)

ETA: Not that I am saying you should tell us, just laughing at myself for my curiosity!
 
You present an interesting combination of traits:

(1) You possess a strong intuitive intelligence, leading you to make good decisions despite being unable to explain why you are making them.

(2) You do not have strong emotional reactions to situations or accomplishments, although I am guessing that you strongly feel emotions such as betrayal, disappointment, and amusement.

This puts you in the odd position of being unable to intellectually justify the path you’re taking in life, while simultaneously being unable to emotionally justify your decisions. In other words, you possess a strong intuitive side which is overwhelming your intellectual and emotional sides (despite being intelligent and capable of feeling deeply.) Do you have an uncanny ability to quickly “size up” a situation or a person and make a split-second decision?
 
I’m in the same boat. What makes me feel guilty is that I’m the same way with the Eucharist. I know it’s really Jesus but when I receive it, I feel that it might as well just be bread. I’ve heard people talk about it being so wondrous and have seen people cry with joy when receiving it, but not me.
 
I’m in the same boat. What makes me feel guilty is that I’m the same way with the Eucharist. I know it’s really Jesus but when I receive it, I feel that it might as well just be bread. I’ve heard people talk about it being so wondrous and have seen people cry with joy when receiving it, but not me.
Bataar, I’ve been receiving Jesus in the Eucharist for over 55 years, (minus a few away from the Church). I have NEVER felt anything but the taste of bread in my mouth. But, I ‘KNOW’ that it’s Jesus. That’s all that matters. And, BTW, most of my friends say the same thing, -including every member of my family. So, for those that DO feel wondrous, and cry, -well great for them, it’s a gift. God has given ‘ME’ many gifts as well, but that’s not one of them.
 
Hmmm, very interesting.
Sounds to me like you have a classic case of the " intellectual free will vs. the still, small, voice of the Holy Spirit."
Please believe this: it IS possible for God to enter your personal history, and speak to you.
When He does so, do you think it will be an unmistakeable Shout, or a Whisper ?
When He does so, guess which He will speak to - Your Head ? or your Heart ?

Regarding your comments on struggling to keep praying the Rosary… I can only smile, my own experience was so similar it’s uncanny !
I went from a protestant-to-Catholic convert who didn’t know Mary at all, to the point where the Rosary is my favorite daily prayer meditation, all at the hands of the BVM and the grace of her Son which she brought into my life over what seems to be an amazing well-tuned series of events spanning most of my adult life.

I can only offer this from my own experience: Next time you get hung up on it, just stop, & ASK Our Lady if/why/how you should pray the Rosary.!
Then, listen…
 
I also feel this way many times. Honestly I think that the intellect is much more important than the emotional feeling. Our emotions will never be the same 100% of the time. We will never be joyous 100% of the time and never sad 100% of the time. We need our intellect to remind us, no matter how we feel, what is right and what is true. The intellect doesn’t fluctuate like our emotions do. I think it is very important that our emotions don’t drive our intellects. I don’t think there is one person that doesn’t have the emotional feeling to give in to the temptation of sex before marriage. It is our intellects that restrain us from those temptations. It’s our intellects that make us human and not merely animals. However, God will, as you have said, give us moments of emotional excitement from our spirituality. Some people get these emotions more often than others. And it may be the case that the ones that get that emotional feeling need it more because there intellects are not quite strong enough to keep the faith.
 
Bataar, I’ve been receiving Jesus in the Eucharist for over 55 years, (minus a few away from the Church). I have NEVER felt anything but the taste of bread in my mouth. But, I ‘KNOW’ that it’s Jesus. That’s all that matters. And, BTW, most of my friends say the same thing, -including every member of my family. So, for those that DO feel wondrous, and cry, -well great for them, it’s a gift. God has given ‘ME’ many gifts as well, but that’s not one of them.
Beautifully honest.
That said, we should ALL be careful not to miss opportunities to grow closer to Him in the Eucharist. Just being with Him as in adoration, is a good thing. Plus He WANTS our company, He enjoys our company.
My priest gave me a book some time ago that I think should be required reading for every Catholic. I have read many books on the faith, but this just stands out at the very top for me. It’s a short read, and I can only say that I can almost guarantee you will read it more than once !🙂
Sounds corny maybe, but PLEASE look it up; let me know what you think:
7 Secrets of the Eucharist, by Vinny Flynn
 
My priest gave me a book some time ago that I think should be required reading for every Catholic. I have read many books on the faith, but this just stands out at the very top for me. It’s a short read, and I can only say that I can almost guarantee you will read it more than once !🙂
Sounds corny maybe, but PLEASE look it up; let me know what you think:
7 Secrets of the Eucharist, by Vinny Flynn
Thanks Bob,
Another great (small) book that I continue re-reading is the “Miracles of th Eucharist” by Bob and Penny Lord. It’s wonderful to read about the many miracles of the wine and host turning to blood and meat on the altar table. Many good sub-plots surrounding these stories as well.
 
Bataar, I’ve been receiving Jesus in the Eucharist for over 55 years, (minus a few away from the Church). I have NEVER felt anything but the taste of bread in my mouth. But, I ‘KNOW’ that it’s Jesus. That’s all that matters. And, BTW, most of my friends say the same thing, -including every member of my family. So, for those that DO feel wondrous, and cry, -well great for them, it’s a gift. God has given ‘ME’ many gifts as well, but that’s not one of them.
I must say that I was drawn to this thread by the title of the OP. I am really encouraged by the responses that I’ve seen here, especially this one.

I have often had difficulty with this very thing; the lack of “passion”, as it were, for the Sacraments, for Christ, for God’s will. I intellectually KNOW these things to be the most important in my life, but I often find myself more on fire for other things, even when I know that Christ is the most vital.

Joseph, the way you phrased it is very comforting: that this is a gift others have received does not mean I have not received my own gifts.

To all of you who are in this very boat, our tendency to “brain” about things instead of feeling them is a blessing in its own way, though it does come with a price, since we are always at the mercy of our passions. Let us all focus on the secure knowledge of the truth, and remember that we need God’s help to overcome our feelings when they try to lead us away from it.

Peace,
Dante
 
I think it was C.S. Lewis who said (somewhere in his book Mere Christianity) that we shouldnt waste time trying to conjure up “feelings” with regards to acting morally/loving but rather we should simply act morally/lovingly. Love (i.e.Agape/Charity) is an action, not merely a passive feeling (like Eros)

Your brother in Christ,
Zachary
 
You are in good company! Jeremiah, for example! 😉 Chapter 17 in particular…

9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

10 “I the LORD search the heart
and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
according to what his deeds deserve.”

We do not always have a connect between our heart and our minds… but feelings are fleeting. AND they’re not always the wisest choice.

Steph
 
Not sure. Could you provide more examples for me?
For example, you might hear that a friend is going on a weekend trip, and you will immediately feel that “I want to join him” or “I don’t want to join him”. Later on, you will go through an intellectual decision-making process, but you will end up drawing the same conclusion that you made in your first split-second decision. This happens for decisions that would normally be made emotionally, but because the emotions you feel are not very strong, you are making them in an intuitive way.

You said that you over-intellectualize everything at the expense of emotion, yet you cannot find an intellectual reason for many things (such as why you play the guitar.) If neither emotion nor intellect are driving you, then your intuition is driving you.
 
There are three powers of the soul - intellect, will, and emotion.

Faith is a virtue that resides in the intellect. Being disordered from the Fall of humanity, our intellect and emotions often bump heads because our emotions are disorderly. In heaven, our intellect, will, and emotions will all be one again, but until then, we have to train our emotions to match our intellect, and if we can’t, then we have to override our emotions with our intellect.

You are doing a very good thing- you know something is wrong but dont’ feel anything, but you do it anyway. This is such a great, wonderful thing.
 
A bass player! Cool! 👍

I own two. But, at some point, my intellect overruled my passion and made me realize my fingers were not coordinated enough to progress any further. I guess that’s why my typing speed never seems to get any faster either! 😃
I’m basically stuck and I don’t know what to do! It often seems that faith for me is heavily intellectual and occasionally heart-felt.
I don’t think there is a disconnect as much as you are aware of a difference between intellect or reason and the heart or passion (please forgive me if I’m not using the correct philosophical terms here). While there are many stories of people who followed their passions when reason would tell most others to persue a different course but they still became successful, that doesn’t seem to be the case here. (I do not mean to imply you will not not become successful persuing your passions.)

It seems to me you already know what to do. At least as far as your faith is concerned. I’m sure many will take this the wrong way but I’ll say it anyway. I believe it is Luke 5:32 (and depending on your translation) “I have come not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance”. It could be the Holy Spirit knows you know what is right and knows the heart will follow. So, He is spending a bit more time with others who need a bit more of a push! 🙂 What I quoted from you earlier, “It often seems that faith for me is heavily intellectual and occasionally heart-felt.”, applies to me as well. And, from reading the other posts, I don’t think we’re alone.

I don’t know if this helps. Anyway, keep praying and don’t think about it too much!
 
We are to govern ourselves by our reason, think what if you experienced strong emotions that would guide you away from the good things without enough opposition from your intellect?

Besides, human personalities are different. You may well be an INTJ or something of the kind, in which case you’d solve on an intellectual level many things others would address on an emotional level–if address at all.

The heart is truly a mystery and sometimes it will guide us to unknown directions. Sometimes good ones, but it’s hard to tell when to trust the heart instead of the intellect.

Anyway, not to take away from any of the great advice you’ve got here. Just some thoughts. Oh, and choices matter a lot. They matter more than emotions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top