Struggling with Lustful Thoughts

  • Thread starter Thread starter Benjinho
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Benjinho

Guest
Relatively new Roman Catholic confirmed at Easter a few weeks ago here looking for how to cut down/eliminate these sins.

So far, I’ve managed to excise most of pornography (I screwed up and wittingly looked at one pornographic image a week ago) and all masturbation from my life (over 3 weeks clean now for the latter). I’ve found that my brain tends to seek “substitutes,” however. I’ll seek out and read things that, while not pornography per se, are for the purposes of relieving/satisfying lustful thoughts.

I didn’t know these things were mortal until today. At times I find that I have lustful thoughts in the morning even though I’m not looking at anything lustful, it just comes from memory. It seems almost impossible to resist these thoughts at times.

How do I deal with these feelings? I don’t want to give up.
 
Last edited:
May I make a suggestion read the city of God by Mother Mary of agreda increase your prayer life try to say three rosaries a day God bless and I’m praying for you
 
The moment you recognize a thought, pray. If is an image of a person, pray for that person. If it is just random made up images who are not people, pray at that moment “Lord, please create in me a clean heart”.

Morning prayer before you get out of bed in the morning, (Print it out and stick it to the alarm clock). Most phones will let you wake up to music, make it good Christian music.

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day
for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart,
in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world,
for the salvation of souls, the reparation of sins, the reunion of all Christians,
and in particular for the intentions of the Holy Father this month.
Amen.

Night prayer before you go to sleep.

During the day think on good things. Avoid the near occasion of sin.

one last thought, talk to your sponsor. They are there to be your “big brother” in the Faith.
 
Last edited:
Find a short prayer you like to one of the saints. I use the Hail Mary. Every time you recognize your mind drifts to impure thoughts, say the prayer and move on to different thoughts when you’re done. It will quickly become habit.
 
Someone told me that when bad thoughts entered their mind they would immediately give them to God. For example a lustful thought enters your mind and immediately you say interiorly “God, I’m having bad thoughts, but I give them to you, take them and please help me to stay pure. I need you… I want so much to give in, but I love you and I want to do what pleases you.” Just an example. It can really help to turn your mind away from the thoughts and to reject them right away. Also humbling yourself before God when the temptations come can be very helpful. Talk to him! It’s inevitable that these thoughts will enter your mind, just don’t give in and dwell on them. I have found this person’s advice to be helpful for me although different things work better for different people
 
Find a short prayer you like to one of the saints. I use the Hail Mary. Every time you recognize your mind drifts to impure thoughts, say the prayer and move on to different thoughts when you’re done. It will quickly become habit.
Or the Jesus Prayer
 
A couple things. Get stubborn - don’t ever give up the struggle, not just avoiding sexual sin, but actually striving for holiness even in your sexuality. This was a prayer I repeated hundreds of times over many years. When praying about it one day I got the thought, “Are you willing to keep trying even after thousands of failures?” Say yes to that… On a practical level, check out the REALLY great stuff at chastity project & Jason Evert. Praying for you.
 
I made up my own prayer to help with my wondering eye. Sometimes it worked first time. But sometimes I’d have to repeat it a few times. When I struggled the most, I had to remove myself from the situation and keep praying until I felt comfortable. Generally a few minutes or so.

It’s taken a year to get to where I am. Still not perfect but I’ve come along way. I went through stages of frustration, anxiety and anger. I still get a little angry with dress code but I’m working on it.
 
Set your mind on something else. When lust attacks your mind, you have to fight back. Think about something that’s deeply inspiring. Think about Christ suffering on the cross.
 
I’m not a guy ,but without really thinking of it I pray the prayers to the Holy Spirit and to St Micheal the Arch Angel through out the day and they really help me keep my thoughts from wandering onto areas of thinking negatively of people…the same could go for thinking chastely of people, keeping thoughts pure.
So many thoughts that arnt good slip in so subtly before we even recognise them,having some spiritual help on hand (mentioned ones,guardian angel,other saints) help tremendously.Kind of make it habit to speak to Jesus throughout the day …that really helps keep thoughts in order.
All the best.
 
Relatively new Roman Catholic confirmed at Easter a few weeks ago here looking for how to cut down/eliminate these sins.

So far, I’ve managed to excise most of pornography (I screwed up and wittingly looked at one pornographic image a week ago) and all masturbation from my life (over 3 weeks clean now for the latter).
🤟😎 keep up the good work
40.png
Benjinho:
I’ve found that my brain tends to seek “substitutes,” however. I’ll seek out and read things that, while not pornography per se, are for the purposes of relieving/satisfying lustful thoughts.

I didn’t know these things were mortal until today. At times I find that I have lustful thoughts in the morning even though I’m not looking at anything lustful, it just comes from memory. It seems almost impossible to resist these thoughts at times.

How do I deal with these feelings? I don’t want to give up.
As a suggestion,
  1. if possible, go to daily mass
  2. While still fighting the urges, and even after, frequent the sacrament of confession
  3. develop your prayer life. The Rosary and it’s reflections are powerful.
for info on the Rosary and meditations on the mysteries Quick Meditations on Every Mystery of the Rosary - Ascension Press Media

I’ve been to Israel. I’ve been to every place the mysteries took place. I can’t pray the mysteries without mentally being in each location.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top