Struggling with Purity

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darran
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good God, again today. Pray for me guys, please. I’d beg you to pray for me.
Darran,

I’ve talked to you about this before. It’s not like I’ve not had this problem before. Masturbation is a Mortal Sin. I’ve confessed this sin to my priest many times. He forgave me. Time after time. I gave excuse after excuse time after time. I asked him if I keep confessing the same sin time after time am I forgiven? He said,

“You tell me ! You confess the same sin time after time. Are you really contrite? You confess the same sin time after time! Are you really sorry? Do you think you are forgiven for the same sin time after time? Are You Really Sorry? That’s between You and GOD!”.

That was the last time for me!

God Bless You My Brother!
 
Being bombarded with pressure everyday is like being in a perpetual battle. Then again I guess we all are. I feel that it is significantly harder and different for single people. Even during the courting process we tend to look around us at what others are doing. Which brings me to another struggle that will help if worked on. It is…

Stop trying to keep up with the Jones’. Not only is this a subconscious thing, but it leads to another sin coveting something that doesn’t belong to you, then again how many young couples do you see that are actually married. It’s tough you want something, you feel that if you had what that guy had you wouldn’t have to worry about temptation to masturbate, and wet dreams will go away.

Well but what really does that guy have. Will it be there tomorrow? maybe maybe not. Are they really happy. Well for charitable purposes you would hope and pray so. But gawking doesn’t help, it makes you think about your cross, don’t make the weight heavier, there is a time and a place for all things. That’s something to sit and prayerful contemplation.
 
Thanks very much for the words and prayer guys. I just don’t think that is my problem ndeparis88 but thanks all the same.
 
Darran,

I’ve talked to you about this before. It’s not like I’ve not had this problem before. Masturbation is a Mortal Sin. I’ve confessed this sin to my priest many times. He forgave me. Time after time. I gave excuse after excuse time after time. I asked him if I keep confessing the same sin time after time am I forgiven? He said,

“You tell me ! You confess the same sin time after time. Are you really contrite? You confess the same sin time after time! Are you really sorry? Do you think you are forgiven for the same sin time after time? Are You Really Sorry? That’s between You and GOD!”.

That was the last time for me!

God Bless You My Brother!
That’s the thing, I never know how sorry/contrite I am, obviously, not near enough! 😦
 
That’s the thing, I never know how sorry/contrite I am, obviously, not near enough! 😦
I have been considering this as well. Last night I suffered another defeat. And also two of my accountability partners have been suffering from this as well. I think, one thing we can all pray for each other, one thing we can pray that God will give us, is a spirit of true contrition. Surely God will not deny us this? Let’s pray to God and to the Blessed Mother for the grace of being truly sorry for our sins, and truly resolved against them. Pray that we may know the true gravity of our sins so that we will not take it for granted in the future. Let us meditate on how this sin damages us, and how it damages those who are involved. Let us think about how it offends God and what separation from God, a severing of communion, really is and what a terrible thing it is, so that we may so treasure the state of grace so as to never dream of leaving it.

I will pray for Darran and for Fragile, and you two can pray for me and for each other and for my accountability partners who also struggle with this, kyle, ben and eric. Thank you
 
if people are being sent to hell for masturbation then I can say with confidence that most of the human race is doomed…maybe like 4 people will actually make it to heaven.
 
if people are being sent to hell for masturbation then I can say with confidence that most of the human race is doomed…maybe like 4 people will actually make it to heaven.
Did those four have medical impairments? 😉
 
Most of the human race is doomed, but not neccesarily because of this. There are plenty of chaste people, moreso in past centuries than now.

youtube.com/watch?v=GCf8C1Xcpds

Reminded me.
Thank you for the link; I watched the video.

I agree that very few people are going to enter the kingdom while on earth, at least. I can’t say about after we die. But Jesus came to call us to the kingdom on earth which is not for people who are sinless, but for real people who have achieved the right attitudes. Or should I say Beatitudes. The children will enter but the wise and learned will not. What does that tell us? It tells me that adults the wise and learned are losing something through their socialization and education.

But to me, the percentage of who gets in should not be a major obstacle. A note of warning to operate in sincerity, but not a death sentence. I, for example, have no problem considering myself as separate from the masses. My relationship with God does not depend on statistics. For example, of two people out of the half million in Wichita are to be saved, why should I not be one of them?

It’s like when I got married 25 years ago. People wondered if I’d get a prenup. They said, “the chances of your staying married are less than 50%.” I said, “no, they are exactly 100% because we have made each other a promise, and intend to keep it.” As a math lover, I am thoroughly interested in statistics, but I also know enough not to let statistics boss me around or get me discouraged.

Plus, things have changed. We have powerful tools now, in freedom and technology, that made things different than when the saints were saying what they said. Now anybody has access to the entire planet of Catholics for support, instantly. We can support each other and change the future so it doesn’t reflect the past. Jesus said the person who believes in Him will do greater works than the ones He did! Imagine that! Does that mean we have to become better than Jesus? Of course not. I take it to mean that in the future, one loving person has many more opportunities to perform acts of mercy (which are the REAL miracles) than ever before.

So don’t let the stats scare you into a mentality that you are doomed; I think for many of us it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Remember Jesus said the harvest is ready but the workers are few? The workers are those who have heard and learned the Good News. This very generation, for the first time since Jesus, has a chance to fulfill Jesus’s wishes here for more workers, growing exponentially. We ARE the workers. Let’s bring in the harvest!

Alan
 
The Church tells us not to slip into despair, yet how can anyone watch this w/hope?! 😦
 
The Church tells us not to slip into despair, yet how can anyone watch this w/hope?! 😦
I’m not concerned about it at all. God has shown me through faith and then into such convincing experience that I don’t really feel like I need faith. I’m just here now. And what you can do is, make your claim that you are going all the way with God, and not just be mediocre like 99.999% of the people do.

Be the one of the hundred thousand. Take a friend with you. Soon we will be reaping the harvest for the Lord. Can you imagine if even one in 100 people in this world came into the kingdom? It would not be long until many instead of few will see and survive His second coming.

I’m confident that the kind of statistics are told are because people, sensitive people like you and me, are so few and far between that without Internet we could never reach critical mass and really help each other along in our journeys.

You might want to watch a TV preacher I really like, talking about going all the way. She is not Catholic, but the message is excellent.

Joyce Meyer – Steps to Total Restoration, Part 1

Hope that helps! 🙂

Oh BTW I am no stranger to despair. With 11 year bout with severe bipolar, include serious despair for months in a row. I don’t anymore. Just remember what Jesus said something like, “I praise you Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for you have revealed these things to the childlike but hidden them from the wise and learned.”

Alan
 
Plus, things have changed. We have powerful tools now, in freedom and technology, that made things different than when the saints were saying what they said.
No way whatsoever. This is the worst 100 years the world has ever been in since pre-Christian times, worldwide technology is only making this much worse. How many of us would likely be struggling with this problem of purity had the internet not been around, seriously? Before it took time, effort and money. As Matt Fradd says, now it’s exactly the opposite, it takes time, effort and money just to get off it.
The Church tells us not to slip into despair, yet how can anyone watch this w/hope?!
I know how you feel, it hits home a powerful message. Yet it’s our purpose to strive in every way to be the best that we can be in life, nobody said it was easy, yet compared to what? We are fortunate that we exist, and we have a God who wants us to be united to Him on Earth and in Heaven far more than we are even remotely able of understanding. And He gives us every grace that we need to get there, all that He requires of us is to live by the first commandment:
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."—Mark 12:30.
Don’t be afraid, you should only fear if you have sin in you, but God’s grace is there in the confessional to take it right away.
 
It’s hard to imagine someone loving us as much as God does. I think it’s futile to run from it which many people who are not believers do. There isn’t a place in the cosmos where God’s love will not find you. Under every rock in every place God is ready to welcome you.

It’s part of the deep joy we can experiences as living creatures, and as humans. But I think that like would be boring an uneventful if there wasn’t any struggle. We fall so we can get back up. As we may never have a reason for suffering I still know that for some reason there is no reason to loose hope. The immaculate heart will triumph. Yeah there are days we struggle and where it seems dark, but you don’t quit, it’s always in a way God knocking at the door hoping you’ll let him in.
 
No way whatsoever. This is the worst 100 years the world has ever been in since pre-Christian times, worldwide technology is only making this much worse. How many of us would likely be struggling with this problem of purity had the internet not been around, seriously? Before it took time, effort and money. As Matt Fradd says, now it’s exactly the opposite, it takes time, effort and money just to get off it.
The Internet has facilitated evil, but it’s like the garden where Jesus said, let the weeds and the wheat grow together, until the harvest, lest we pull up the weeds with the wheat.

But struggling with purity? I can assure you it’s nothing new. It’s just we didn’t have the technology to share it. All the same jokes about males and masturbation that are around, were also around when I was young. When my parents were young it was still a widely known problem but just wasn’t talked about.

And, of course, without the Internet you would not have been able to reach out here for help. This is what I’m talking about; a community of believers facing their collective problems head on. Unheard of when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. You only talked about these kinds of things with other kids, when there was no chance of getting caught even discussing it.

Alan
 
“See to it that you make every effort to enter through the narrow gate, for many I tell you will try, and not be able.” I don’t believe Jesus is telling us to be concerned about the number of who will be saved, just make sure you’re one of them!

“Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time.”
 
“See to it that you make every effort to enter through the narrow gate, for many I tell you will try, and not be able.” I don’t believe Jesus is telling us to be concerned about the number of who will be saved, just make sure you’re one of them!

“Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time.”
Where is the second quote found?
 
“The man who only avoids the outward occasions of evil, but fails to uproot it in himself, will gain little advantage. Indeed, temptations will return upon him the sooner, and he will find himself in a worse state than before. Little by little and by patient endurance you will overcome them by God’s help.”
-The Imitation of Christ (Book One, Chapter 13), by Thomas a Kempis
 
How does one “uproot it in himself?” :confused:
I guess the outward has to do with working to avoid the things that lead to sin, i.e. the computer, etc. I have found from experience that I can get rid of my computer and everything but when I come across one, the temptation is still there even after several months. It’s not just about avoiding sin “outwardly” as it is said, but also your heart has to change. This is a time for a spiritual conversion. The change in heart is the most important part that needs to take place. You need to be permanently resolved against it.

Starting this week I have been going to daily mass and saying a daily rosary. I’m gonna do all I can to get Satan out of my life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top