STUDY: 'Super' bacteria live on sheets, fingernails

  • Thread starter Thread starter stumbler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stumbler

Guest
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The mutated, drug-resistant “superbugs” that cause an increasing number of hospital infections and deaths can live for weeks on bed linens, computer keyboard covers and under acrylic fingernails, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

The study supports other research that shows super-strict hygiene is needed to battle the bacteria, some of which are now nearly impossible to kill even with the strongest antibiotics.

A team at sanitation-services company Ecolab Inc. dabbed methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus onto samples of bed linen, keyboard covers and acrylic fingernails.

MRSA could be detected eight weeks later on acrylic fingernails, six weeks later on computer keyboard covers and five days later on bed linens. . . .

Full article
 
Dear All

Bugs and viruses are hear to stay, I do not ever thing as humans we will conquer each bug or virus sent to us.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.
 
FWIW many medical facilities will NOT allow the acrylic or false fingernails because they harbor bacteria and are basically impossible to clean.

Lisa N
 
Lisa N:
FWIW many medical facilities will NOT allow the acrylic or false fingernails because they harbor bacteria and are basically impossible to clean.

Lisa N
Why would any woman get these vain nails? I remeber a singer with about 3 inch of these nails! Talk about ways of getting attention?:nope:
 
I work in a Microbiolology lab at a hospital and it is routine protocol to wear gloves even when on the keyboards in the lab. We also periodically do sterility checks on hospital linens…this includes
even gowns and baby shirts. Yes, a lot of those super bugs are
out there. I think the best defense is to ask any medical professional
to wear sterile gloves or at least wash their hands before touching!
Every hospital does have to monitor their number of “Super Bug”
infections and work to reduce that number. Just wanted y’all to
know so you can sleep better, but it’s still a good idea to say those
night prayers.
 
40.png
misericordie:
Why would any woman get these vain nails? I remeber a singer with about 3 inch of these nails! Talk about ways of getting attention?:nope:
They are very low care. If you put polish on regular nails it chips off right away. It stays much better on the acrylics. Also they are all even length, don’t break or snag. The other good thing is if you bite your nails, you’ll be cured or you’ll chip your teeth! I used to have them years ago but it was expensive and time consuming. BTW I totally agree that the long talon look is GROSS. I basically had them a normal length. But I sure wouldn’t want to put them on again, particularly as I know of many people get a fungus under the nail. At any rate they are NOT appropriate for anyone in the medical field.

Lisa N
 
I used to get acrylic nails done. As early as the beginning of the year, but I stopped because it’s so expensive. They sure do look pretty, but I did have a friend get some sort of gray fungus on her pinky nail because she never got her set replaced or taken off to let her nails breathe. Just kept getting a fill over and over again. Gotta be careful with those little buggers.

Oh, and I just got a basic length nail. No talons for me. I don’t see how women do anything with those, and they look weird.
 
I have also heard that these bacteria live on exercise equipment. I would use that Lysol before I started that muscle building.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top