Studying the Deuterocanon 1: The Book of Tobit

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crimson_Seraph
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crimson_Seraph

Guest
Maranatha!

Dear Catholic community.

I am a Christian who is currently studying the books labeled as Deuterocanonical in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches. I am currently interesting in how these two traditions view these books and what spiritual truths that they glean from them. Not wishing to rely on protestant sources as the sole well to draw forth this knowledge, I have come here in the hopes that I may get some insight into these books from a Catholic (and Orthodox if any are here.) perspectives. I do not wish to get wrapped up in debate over Protestantism vs Catholicism etc, and have only come to get the information straight from the horse’s mouth so to speak. So feel free to speak freely on the subject.

I would like to start off the series of investigations with the Book of Tobit. Personally, I have enjoyed this book myself and have gained some uplifting and exhortation from it’s pages. I would like to ask Catholics and Orthodox Christians just what they get out of this book and how it impacts their faith or their life.

Thank you very much. (bows)

-A Lover of Free Grace.
 
Do you want people to distinguish between dogma and nondogma?
 
I simply love the book of Tobit!!! It is one of my favorite books of the Old Testament.

I like the trust that Tobias and his wife (what’s her name again?) place in God even in the depths of all their despair.
 
Taught the Deuteros last year. My class got a lot out of it.Puts a lie to the view of the “400 silent years”. Much of what Jesus taught and
and thought came out of this time.These books are the needed insight , or bridge, from OT to NT. Good Luck and God Bless in your reading.🙂
 
Do you want people to distinguish between dogma and nondogma?
Whatever you wish to say about it is fine my friend. I would find it interesting to see how the text does impact Catholic and Orthodox dogma though as well as other beliefs.
 
Well, it seems to show that true prayer should come from the heart, as Jesus would teach 200 years or so later.

We see almsgiving and works of charity done for others, whether they were Jewish or not.

Isn’t there mention of guardian angels in here as well?
 
The Catechism of the Catholic Church references Tobit in several places:

The Almighty: “He does whatever he pleases”:
269.
The Holy Scriptures repeatedly confess the universal power of God. He is called the “Mighty One of Jacob,” the “LORD of hosts,” the “strong and mighty” one. If God is almighty “in heaven and on earth,” it is because he made them. Nothing is impossible with God, who disposes his works according to his will. He is the Lord of the universe, whose order he established and which remains wholly subject to him and at his disposal. He is master of history, governing hearts and events in keeping with his will: “It is always in your power to show great strength,and who can withstand the strength of your arm?” [Cf. Tobit 13:2]

Divine Providence: Providence and the scandal of evil.
312.
In time we can discover that God in his almighty providence can bring a good from the consequences of an evil, even a moral evil, caused by his creatures: “It was not you,” said Joseph to his brothers, “who sent me here, but God . . . . You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive.” [Cf. Tobit 2:12-18 (Vulgate)] From the greatest moral evil ever committed – the rejection and murder of God’s only Son, caused by the sins of all men – God, by his grace that “abounded all the more,” brought the greatest of goods: the glorification of Christ and our redemption. But for all that, evil never becomes a good.

The Angels: The angels in the life of the Church:
336.
From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. [Cf. Tobit 12:12] “Besides each believer stands and angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith inthe blessed company of angels and men united in God.

Man: “In the Image of God”:
360.
Because of its common origin the human race forms a unity, for “from one ancestor (God) made all nations to inhabit the whole earth”: [Cf. Tobit 8:6]…[Pope Pius XII’s encyclical, *Summi Pontificatus 3 is then quoted in the text.]

Interior Penance: The Many Forms of Penance in Christian Life:
1434.
The interior penance of the Christian can be expressed in many and various ways. Scripture and the Fathers insist above all on three forms, fasting, prayer, and almsgiving, [Cf. Tobit 12:8] which express conversion in relation to oneself, to God, and to others. Alongside the radical purification brought about by Baptism or martyrdom they cite as means of obtaining forgiveness of sins: efforts at reconciliation with one’s neighbor, tears of repentance, concern for the salvation of one’s neighbor, the intercession of the saints, and the practice of charity “which covers a multitude of sins.”

Moral Conscience: To Choose in Accord with Conscience:
1789.
Some rules apply in every case:
–One may never do evil so that good may result from it;
–the Golden Rule: “Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them.” [Tobit 4:15]
–charity always proceeds by way of respecct for one’s neighbor and his conscience: “Thus sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience…you sin against Christ.” Therefore “it is right not to…do anything that makes your brother stumble.”

The Duties of Family Members: The duties of children.
2214.
The divine fatherhood is the source of human fatherhood; this is the foundation of the honor owed to parents. The respect of children, whether minors or adults, for their father and mother [Cf. Tobit 4:3-4] is nourished by the natural affection born of the bond uniting them. It is required by God’s commandment.

Respect for the Dignity of Persons: Respect for the dead.
2300.
The bodies of the dead must be treated with respect and charity, in faith and hope of the Resurrection. The burial of the dead is a corporal work of mercy; [Cf. Tobit 1:16-18] it honors the children of God, who are temples of the Holy Spirit.

The Love of Husband and Wife:
2361.
“Sexuality, by means of which man and woman give themselves to one another through the acts which are proper and exclusive to spouses, is not something simply biological, but concerns the innermost being of the human person as such. It is realized in a truly human way only if it is an integral part of the love by which a man and woman commit themselves totally to one another until death.”… [Tobit 8:4-9 is then quoted in the text.]

Love for the Poor.
2447.
The works of mercy are charitable actions by which we come to the aid of our neighbor in his spiritual and bodily necessities. Instructing, advising, consoling, comforting are spiritual works of mercy, as are forgiving and bearing wrongs patiently. The corporal works of mercy consist especially in feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and imprisoned, and burying the dead. Among all these, giving alms to the poor is one of the chief witnesses to faternal charity: it is also a work of justice pleasing to God: [Cf. Tobit 4:5-11] … [Luke 3:11, Luke 11:41, and James 2:15-16 are then quoted in the text.]

The Universal Call to Prayer: The Psalms, the prayer of the assembly
2585.
From the time of David to the coming of the Messiah texts appearing in these sacred books show a deepening in prayer for oneself and in prayer for others. [Tobit 3:11-16] Thus the psalms were gradually collected into the five books of the Psalter (or “Praises”), the masterwork of prayer in the Old Testament.
 
I gotta admit, I laugh sometimes in daily Mass during the reading of Tobit.

I’m referring to chapter 8 where Tobias and his wife prayed before their wedding night.
She got up, and they started to pray and beg that deliverance might be theirs. He began with these words: "Blessed are you, O God of our fathers; praised be your name forever and ever. Let the heavens and all your creation praise you forever.
I can’t help but imagine what it would be like if I married Sarah. I, too, would have knelt down and prayed, but my words would have been more like, “Oh, Please, PLEASE don’t let that demon rip my heart out and shove it down my throat…” to be followed up with blubbering and such.

I had the Lector scold me after Mass one day telling me it was hard to concentrate on the reading when I was sitting there in the pews on the edge of tears.
 
I find in Tobit 12:9, where almsgiving is said to expiate sins, support for the idea of indulgences for the remission of the temporal punishment due to sins.

I find in Tobit 12:12, where Raphael reveals that it was he who presented and read the prayers of Tobit and Sarah before the Glory of the Lord, an explanation of how the saints in heaven can hear our prayers, namely through the ministry of angels.

I find in Tobit 8:3, where the demon troubling Sarah was expelled by the smoke from the fish’s heart and liver, support for the Church’s use of sacramentals (material things, such as holy water) in exorcisms.
 
The Book of Tobit is a typological – symbolic – masterpiece. To debate about whether it is fiction or non-fiction is to miss the point of the story.

Tobiah on his journey is a picture of a Christian following The Way. When Tobiah washes his feet in the waters of the Tigris, but the large fish comes up and bites his foot, the Tigris River is “river number three” in Genesis 2:4, where “three” is the Bible type for “will of God” or “the commandments.” He is removing his “foot dust,” or “sin,” in “Commandments River” – confession. The big Christ fish dutifully comes up and symbolically swalklows his sins. When Tobiah captures the Christ fish and sacrifices it and eats it, he is symbolically eating the actual flesh of the Sacrificed One – the Eucharist!

The Christ fish bile used by Tobiah to cure his father’s blindness is a picture of the grace of Christ curing Tobit’s faith.

The book really is remarkable.
 
I like the some of the similairities between the book of Revelation and Tobit.

Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a gold censer. He was given a great quantity of incense to offer, along with the prayers of all the holy ones, on the gold altar that was before the throne. The smoke of the incense along with the prayers of the holy ones went up before God from the hand of the angel. (Rev 8:3-4)

I can now tell you that when you, Tobit, and Sarah prayed, it was I who presented and read the record of your prayer before the Glory of the Lord; and I did the same thing when you used to bury the dead. When you did not hesitate to get up and leave your dinner in order to go and bury the dead, I was sent to put you to the test. At the same time, however, God commissioned me to heal you and your daughter-in-law Sarah. I am Raphael, one of the seven angels who enter and serve before the Glory of the Lord." (Tobit 12:12-15)

The parallels in Rev 19 and Tobit 13 when they cry “Hallelujah” at the coming of the new Jerusalem. And the imagery of the new Jerusalem in Rev 21 and Tobit 13.
 
I can’t help but imagine what it would be like if I married Sarah. I, too, would have knelt down and prayed, but my words would have been more like, “Oh, Please, PLEASE don’t let that demon rip my heart out and shove it down my throat…” to be followed up with blubbering and such.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Gotta love how Tobit’s works & charity, recognized by Raphael and brought to God, and rewarded, were also taught to Tobias which he then performed.

Wonderful book!
 
Tobit 4:15a - what you hate, do not do to others- is the converse of Jesus’ golden rule.
 
Maranatha!

Dear Catholic community.

I am a Christian who is currently studying the books labeled as Deuterocanonical in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches. I am currently interesting in how these two traditions view these books and what spiritual truths that they glean from them. Not wishing to rely on protestant sources as the sole well to draw forth this knowledge, I have come here in the hopes that I may get some insight into these books from a Catholic (and Orthodox if any are here.) perspectives. I do not wish to get wrapped up in debate over Protestantism vs Catholicism etc, and have only come to get the information straight from the horse’s mouth so to speak. So feel free to speak freely on the subject.

I would like to start off the series of investigations with the Book of Tobit. Personally, I have enjoyed this book myself and have gained some uplifting and exhortation from it’s pages. I would like to ask Catholics and Orthodox Christians just what they get out of this book and how it impacts their faith or their life.

Thank you very much. (bows)

-A Lover of Free Grace.
Hey, it’s great that you’re studying this. I just said this to another post, but I’ll put it here, too, b/c it’s applicable:
If you like prophesies in Tobit, check this out. In Tobit 12 (look at verses 12 and 15, specifically), the Angel Raphael reveals himself as one of the seven angels who present prayerful petitions before God.
A few things there - first, the Jews at that time had a very foggy notion of the afterlife, with many contending that there wasn’t even a Heaven or Hell for humans, just the grave. This verse is way ahead of contemporary understanding, with nuances like intercessory prayers to God, and so forth. But what I really like is that outside of Tobit, it isn’t until Revelation 8:3-4 that we even find out that there are seven angels standing in the presence of God!
If this were just “Apocrypha,” it’s certainly strange that it was able to predict one of the most intimate details of Heaven, a detail not previously revealed.
 
Belloc Fan:
A few things there - first, the Jews at that time had a very foggy notion of the afterlife, with many contending that there wasn’t even a Heaven or Hell for humans, just the grave.
Read somewhere that many pagans & Jews at that time believed in reincarnation, which could not occur until the corpse was buried. And thats why Tobit was always burying the dead.
 
There is a part of Tobit that I absolutely love, and would love to see it used in wedding ceremonies. Infact, were I to ever wed I would probably like to include this into my vowes.

From the Book of Tobit, King James Version.

“Then began Tobias to say, Blessed art thou, O God of our fathers, and blessed is thy holy and glorious name for ever; let the heavens bless thee, and all thy creatures. Thou madest Adam, and gavest him Eve his wife for an helper and stay: of them came mankind: thou hast said, It is not good that man should be alone; let us make unto him an aid like unto himself.
And now, O Lord, I take not this my sister for lust but uprightly: therefore mercifully ordain that we may become aged together.
And she said with him, Amen.” - Tobit 8:5-8


I also love the fact that God uses Raphael to answer the prayers of both Sara and Tobit’s families. And yes, I have noticed the simularities between how Raphael introduces himself and how Gabriel does in the NT and what Revelation says about the seven angels. So overall, Tobit has been a very enjoyable read for me and it does make me wonder just how God uses angels to aid me in my life, in addition to his Spirit of course.
 
Crimson Seraph…

My First reading in my wedding was from the Book of Tobit 8:4b-8.

“On their wedding night Tobiah arose from bed and said to his wife, ‘Sister, get up. Let us pray and beg our Lord to have mercy on us and to grant us deliverance.’ Sarah got up, and they started to pray and beg that deliverance might be theirs. They began with these words:
Blessed are you, O God of our fathers; praised be your name forever and ever. Let the heavens and all your creation praise you forever. You made Adam and you gave him his wife Eve to be his help and support; and from these two the human race descended. You said, It is not good for the man to be alone; let us make him a partner like himself. Now, Lord, you know that I take this wife of mine not because of lust, but for a noble purpose. Call down your mercy on me and on her, and allow us to live together to a happy old age.
They said together, Amen, Amen.”🙂

The Book of Tobit for me is about trusting in the Mercy of God and inviting Him to be the Center of my marriage, not just an invited guest at the ceremony.

Tobit is a great book, I pray that it aids your spiritual growth.👍
 
I love this book. It shows man holding God in great reverence, and reveals God yet again as considerate, loving, and merciful: a real, two-way relationship exists between Creator and creature, when the creature has proper fear of God. This relationship would be gloriously clarified soon in Christ’s incarnation. One can feel it coming. Also love St. Raphael here.

Book of Tobit reminds me of Jonah, once he has delivered God’s message to Ninevah: God considers us whether we care or not, or know it or not. Isn’t that nice? Shouldn’t we return the favor?
 
Maranatha!

Dear Catholic community.

I am a Christian who is currently studying the books labeled as Deuterocanonical in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches. I am currently interesting in how these two traditions view these books and what spiritual truths that they glean from them. Not wishing to rely on protestant sources as the sole well to draw forth this knowledge, I have come here in the hopes that I may get some insight into these books from a Catholic (and Orthodox if any are here.) perspectives. I do not wish to get wrapped up in debate over Protestantism vs Catholicism etc, and have only come to get the information straight from the horse’s mouth so to speak. So feel free to speak freely on the subject.

I would like to start off the series of investigations with the Book of Tobit. Personally, I have enjoyed this book myself and have gained some uplifting and exhortation from it’s pages. I would like to ask Catholics and Orthodox Christians just what they get out of this book and how it impacts their faith or their life.

Thank you very much. (bows)

-A Lover of Free Grace.
You could always embark upon a study with the nvar series bible commentary… If you have some money to spend… You can buy individual classes of book if you want (Pentituch, Wisdom/etc).

God bless, and good luck in your studies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top