Stupid Question... Tattoos

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bebop_a_loo_loo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bebop_a_loo_loo

Guest
Okay, so I’ve been reading about tattoos, but keep getting conflicting information. so I thought I’d ask here.

I was going to get a tattoo on a part of my body that would be hidden under clothes even in summer… but then I chickened out cause I’m afraid of pain. It was going to be a combination of a cross and the footprints poem’s last line about “that is when I carried you”, then under that the initials of my nephews of whom I’m the Godmother of both.

But in the end I decided not to go through with it because I was too scared of pain. Then I started hearing I’d be condemned as a Catholic for getting a tattoo anyway. I never heard this law before. In fact… one of the priests from where I use to live, had an earring and a tattoo on his arm. (although I shouldn’t go by him because he’s the genius who thought it was okay to put holy water in a super soaker and spray kids with it during a religious retreat before Confirmation.)

but anyhoo… I just thought I’d see if anyone had any clearer answer on this. There just seems to be so many contradictions… especially among the Christian community. The rules seem to change depending on what Christian religion you belong to. (Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, non-denominational)… Since I am Catholic, I was curious about what the Catholic angle is.

I’m done with the whole tattoo thing… but I’d find it interesting to know the answer.
 
Okay, so I’ve been reading about tattoos, but keep getting conflicting information. so I thought I’d ask here.

I was going to get a tattoo on a part of my body that would be hidden under clothes even in summer… but then I chickened out cause I’m afraid of pain. It was going to be a combination of a cross and the footprints poem’s last line about “that is when I carried you”, then under that the initials of my nephews of whom I’m the Godmother of both.

But in the end I decided not to go through with it because I was too scared of pain. Then I started hearing I’d be condemned as a Catholic for getting a tattoo anyway. I never heard this law before. In fact… one of the priests from where I use to live, had an earring and a tattoo on his arm. (although I shouldn’t go by him because he’s the genius who thought it was okay to put holy water in a super soaker and spray kids with it during a religious retreat before Confirmation.)

but anyhoo… I just thought I’d see if anyone had any clearer answer on this. There just seems to be so many contradictions… especially among the Christian community. The rules seem to change depending on what Christian religion you belong to. (Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, non-denominational)… Since I am Catholic, I was curious about what the Catholic angle is.

I’m done with the whole tattoo thing… but I’d find it interesting to know the answer.
There are no proscriptions in the Catholic Church its a personal decison - although some may be critical on the grounds of taste or modesty etc this has nothing to do with our faith. You are not the first to ask this question here, I would like to know your sources you have been using or is it just what others claim? We just buried a well beloved priest in our diocese - Father Dawes - who had full tattoed sleeves on both arms so …
 
There is no official Catholic angle, i.e. that Church has not spoken one way or the other. Individual Catholics, lay and ordained, have expressed opinions on both sides.

Just like the clothes you wear or the way you style your hair, a tattoo is a personal choice that says something about you, so for example a tattoo of the Sacred Heart on your arm would not in my opinion be an issue but say a Nazi symbol would.

Final advice from me speaking as a dad: If you want one, make sure you think through what you are getting and why you really want it.
 
I’m not going through with it… I chickened out… and it was going to be a personal thing for my eyes alone. in a place hidden from people. It was a way for me to carry my faith with me because my Christianity, being Catholic, saved me on many occasions and I wanted that little reminder than when things get hard, God is there… and as a way to show love for the kids I accepted the responsibility of being a Godparent to.

But I chickened out.

As for where I got this information… a friend of mine mentioned it, so I did a google search. I stumbled onto this site from Google and thought, it would be a good place to ask since its dedicated to Catholicism.
 
That’s a good link. Thanks for that. I like that they list out the questions to think about before tattoos.

The tattoo, especially where I was going to have it done, would have been done by a professional under sanitary conditions… and be low risk health wise.

I don’t think it would be a mutilation or inhibit my organs or anything. I honestly think my weight would be more of an issue than a tattoo. (I’m working on that as well actually. trying to get to a healthier weight.)

the implicit and explicit message is all about God’s love and grace… but the tattoo would be private anyway.

I’m an adult so it’s not disobedience to my parents

would it offend my family and friends… Again, it would be hidden from their eyes… but I have been teasing my mom for a long time that I was going to have her high school graduation photo tattooed on my back. it mortified her. Not so much the idea of a tattoo, but the idea of using a photo she hates so much… I’m sure she wouldn’t love the idea, but wouldn’t condemn me for it… especially if it’s one that is hidden at all times with clothing and is not seen by people outside of myself.

The expense is the only thing I can’t justify. It’s not that expensive… the person who was going to do it was donating their time to raise money to save a schoolhouse… but still… I’m sure my money could be better used. (although, so could the money I spent on chocolate in the last few years… which was a pretty big mistake considering how hard I’m working to get that chocolate off my thighs now.)

But anyway…

That link was an interesting read and really makes one think before doing anything.
 
My personal thoughts on the Leviticus verse is that it falls under the Old Law involving things Jewish people were forbidden to do for health and hygiene reasons. Jesus rejected a lot of these traditions because they had lost there meaning and were simply carried out as empty rituals. In the end, we should do all things out of love and compassion. In this particular case, a tattoo as a reminder and symbol of your faith as well as for your nephew is perfectly reasonable, but we should always think about the things we do through a Christian perspective of love and compassion.
 
Boy…I hope Portrait is going to weigh in on this. He has a good take on such matters.

Go ahead…get a tattoo. Just nothing obscene.
 
Tattoos are okay for Catholics. Not only am I Catholic, but I am on staff at a parish. I have one semi-visible tattoo of the triquerta (Holy Trinity symbol) on the palm side of my wrist. I also have a tattoo of a sword with the crucifix as the drop shadow and the very bottom of it can be seen on my arm when I wear a t-shirt. I have four other tattoos - another of which is religious.

A swastika would be a little iffy - though not against any Catholic “rules”.
 
My personal thoughts on the Leviticus verse is that it falls under the Old Law involving things Jewish people were forbidden to do for health and hygiene reasons. Jesus rejected a lot of these traditions because they had lost there meaning and were simply carried out as empty rituals. In the end, we should do all things out of love and compassion. In this particular case, a tattoo as a reminder and symbol of your faith as well as for your nephew is perfectly reasonable, but we should always think about the things we do through a Christian perspective of love and compassion.
While it is directly out of Leviticus, Jesus never rejected the law but traditions that were added on that interfered with the law. so a direct prohibition against having tattoos on one’s body would not actually be an added on tradition. I 100% agree with doing all things out of love and compassion, A tattoo can be easily added but a little more difficult to undo.
peace
 
The following quotes are taken from Covenant of Love (Pope John Paull II on Sexuality, Marriage, and Family in the Modern World) by Richard Hogan and John LeVoir): These comments are taken from John Paul II in his series “Theology of the Body”.
The Pope emphasized that our bodies are part of the gift of life. He gave them to us just as they are so that they might express our persons as they are. To alter our bodies (unless some medical procedure is indicated by disease) is to claim the rights of the Creator. When we alter our bodies, we treat them them as though we owned them. But our bodies are us and, as our life, they are not things which we own or, even worse, inhabit. The body expresses the person. When we alter our bodies, we attack our lives. Therefore, an unnecessary alteration of a major, healthy, functioning part of the body is an insult to God and a self-destructive act.
My comment: Let good judgement and common sense dictate our decisions about “body art”.
 
Okay, so I’ve been reading about tattoos, but keep getting conflicting information. so I thought I’d ask here.

I was going to get a tattoo on a part of my body that would be hidden under clothes even in summer… but then I chickened out cause I’m afraid of pain. It was going to be a combination of a cross and the footprints poem’s last line about “that is when I carried you”, then under that the initials of my nephews of whom I’m the Godmother of both.

But in the end I decided not to go through with it because I was too scared of pain. Then I started hearing I’d be condemned as a Catholic for getting a tattoo anyway. I never heard this law before. In fact… one of the priests from where I use to live, had an earring and a tattoo on his arm. (although I shouldn’t go by him because he’s the genius who thought it was okay to put holy water in a super soaker and spray kids with it during a religious retreat before Confirmation.)

but anyhoo… I just thought I’d see if anyone had any clearer answer on this. There just seems to be so many contradictions… especially among the Christian community. The rules seem to change depending on what Christian religion you belong to. (Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, non-denominational)… Since I am Catholic, I was curious about what the Catholic angle is.

I’m done with the whole tattoo thing… but I’d find it interesting to know the answer.
Dear friend,

Cordial greetings and a very good day.

Whilst our Church has not made any official pronouncement upon so called body enhancements, such as tattoos, our own conscience should inform us that such unsightly bodily mutilation does not sit comfortably with the holy religion of Christ. Moreover, it is a fundamentalist mindset, dear friend, that always looks to the Church to be spoon-fed on every single issue where doubt exists. We are to use our own prudential judgment or good old fashioned sanctified common sense in our decision making about many issues on which our Church is silent.

However, dear friend, tattoos undeniably express a certain anti-authoritarian attitude and convey an ostentatiously assertive outlook that is diametrically opposed to a profession of godliness. Even if the tattoos in question are of Catholic symbols, they are, alas, inseparably wedded to an unsavoury and uncouth image and cannot shed this distasteful image. Moreover, tattoos are also a form of brash exhibitionism which is intrinsically un-Catholic as it falls short of the virtue of humility and a gentle and quiet disposition, which ought to characterize the devout Catholic, especially a woman.

Another argument against this unseemly practice apertains to the Fifth Commandment, which forbids any unnecessary harming of the body, “the temple of the Holy Spirit”, as St. Paul terms it. Catholic moral theology teaches that by the Principle of Totality, a man or woman is not permitted to authorize the mutilation of the body except for the benefit of the whole body by the Principle of Totality. Mutilation of the body, dear friend, can only ever be justified on the supposition that it is necessary or useful towards obtaining some physical benefit (for example, amputation of a limb to prevent gangrene).

It is frequently said nowadays, that times have changed and that tattoos no longer have their anti-authoritarian unsavoury image. But that is only because our Western culture has sadly become more vulgar and men and women now habitually transgress the boundaries of propriety. This is a monumental tragedy of the first rank. How deeply saddening to see even middle-class girls and women, who supposedly have been well-bred, having hideous tattoos and seemingly being very proud of them. Once again, this only exemplifies how far we have plummeted, especially when you have even Catholic women straining to justify being tattooed. This, dear friend, is so un-lady-like and surely reveals a distinct absence of a “meek and quiet spirit”, to which St. Peter refers in his First Epistle (I Pet. 3: 3,4), indicative of a pious interior character.

It is good to hear, dear friend, that you have decided not to have a tattoo. You have made the correct prudential judgment, which you will not regret in years to come.

God bless.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

Pax
 
Another slam dunk from you, good sir Portrait! I dig your style…
 
That’s a good link. Thanks for that. I like that they list out the questions to think about before tattoos.

The tattoo, especially where I was going to have it done, would have been done by a professional under sanitary conditions… and be low risk health wise.

I don’t think it would be a mutilation or inhibit my organs or anything. I honestly think my weight would be more of an issue than a tattoo. (I’m working on that as well actually. trying to get to a healthier weight.)

the implicit and explicit message is all about God’s love and grace… but the tattoo would be private anyway.

I’m an adult so it’s not disobedience to my parents

would it offend my family and friends… **(truncated) **
The expense is the only thing I can’t justify. It’s not that expensive… (truncated)

But anyway…

That link was an interesting read and really makes one think before doing anything.
Well, I can answer this one from the perspective of someone who HAS a religious tattoo and spent a long time deciding to do it (a full decade in fact).

Another question to consider, which wasn’t addressed here, is modesty in GETTING the tattoo. You mentioned getting it in an area that would be covered by clothing, even in summer time… such areas are generally areas where modesty needs to be conserved, so would you be exposing this area of skin to a person of the opposite gender while getting the tattoo? Perhaps I’m being overly presumptuous of the location here, but it IS something to think about.

Another question which you brought up is weight… as your weight changes, it affects the skin as well… getting a tattoo in some locations is a bad idea because, during pregnancy or weight gain, those areas of skin will stretch and it will distort the tattoo… and likewise getting it in one of those areas and then LOSING weight will cause the tattoo to distort as well. generally, you should avoid areas where a tattoo will be distorted permanently by change in weight because you never know what the future will hold.

As to the expense, Catholic teaching on charity does not preclude ALL luxuries from our lives, and a tattoo (such as mine) can serve as a special devotion as well as a luxury. If you’re getting a simple tattoo, which is relatively small and few in colors, the cost will be small and not necessarily lacking in charity to pay for.

As to the pain: it hurts a bit, but not terribly. Mine was in a fairly tender spot (though there are WORSE spots for sure), and yet it felt mostly like someone was running a sharp object over the top of my skin. It’s not a lasting or traumatizing pain, that’s for certain. MOST importantly is dealing with it afterwards, you need to know that for two weeks you will have to be careful NOT to get that area wet, or to have clothing chaff against it too roughly, etc. There are a lot of initial actions you need to take in order for your tattoo not to get distorted right off the bat. Also, you may want to consider that you need to apply sunscreen to your tattoo whenever it might be exposed to sunlight for extended periods.

Finally, you need to consider the lasting implications of your tattoo: how will you like it in ten years? In twenty? What about 40 years? Is the design of the cross you’re going for simple, elegant, and classic? What about if your godchildren have a falling out with the church and/or the relationship goes sour… would you still be okay with having their initials on your skin? The biggest part of getting a tattoo is deciding that you want this mark on your skin until the day you die. Like I said initially, I wanted my tattoo for TEN YEARS before I finally decided that if I still felt that way after ten years that I would probably feel that way for the rest of my life.

A caveat to that final point: when you get a tattoo, most people either love it or hate it. Some people just wish they could get rid of it… others feel a huge impulse to get more tattoos. After getting mine, I IMMEDIATELY began drawing up a new tattoo (I designed my first one) with a Chi Rho and some latin written around it because I was on a “this is cool” high. Gradually, that feeling ebbed, and I’m okay with waiting another ten years to decide if I really really want a second tattoo. The point is, establish a time for yourself to “cope” with your repsonse, and then DO NOT get another tattoo within that time, and DON’T berate yourself too harshly (and jump to getting it laser removed) if you don’t like it… both of those impulses will change over time and ebb towards it becoming simply a part of your body. Heck, I hardly even NOTICE my tattoo when I look in a mirror because it’s “Just there”. It only stands out to me in the context that I got it for: at Mass.

Okay, before anyone asks, my tattoo is over my heart and is a symbol I created representing a man kneeling on hands and knees with his head bowed, surrounded by the words “Only say the word and I shall be healed”, and is significant to me because I have always held the personal devotion of striking my heart and saying “mea culpa” after the Agnes Dei, and the words of the centurian are, to me, one of the best examples of humility and total faith (which are things I think are exceptionally important AND that I want a constant reminder to represent myself). Now every time I strike my chest at mass I cannot help but think of that message and the simple, humble faith of the centurian.
 
I always wanted to have a tattoo. Ghost Rider, but because I am the current youth minister of our parish, Im just gonna say no to it for now. But I still want it so bad XD
 
I always wanted to have a tattoo. Ghost Rider, but because I am the current youth minister of our parish, Im just gonna say no to it for now. But I still want it so bad XD
Better idea. Why not set a better example and get a Miraculous Medal tattoo?

You might even consider consecration to Mary in the Militia Immaculata. I’ve recently heard that a number of newly ordained priests have done so and had the MM tattoed on their upper arms/shoulders like a badge.
 
Dear friend,

Cordial greetings and a very good day.

Whilst our Church has not made any official pronouncement upon so called body enhancements, such as tattoos, our own conscience should inform us that such unsightly bodily mutilation does not sit comfortably with the holy religion of Christ. Moreover, it is a fundamentalist mindset, dear friend, that always looks to the Church to be spoon-fed on every single issue where doubt exists. We are to use our own prudential judgment or good old fashioned sanctified common sense in our decision making about many issues on which our Church is silent.

However, dear friend, tattoos undeniably express a certain anti-authoritarian attitude and convey an ostentatiously assertive outlook that is diametrically opposed to a profession of godliness. Even if the tattoos in question are of Catholic symbols, they are, alas, inseparably wedded to an unsavoury and uncouth image and cannot shed this distasteful image. Moreover, tattoos are also a form of brash exhibitionism which is intrinsically un-Catholic as it falls short of the virtue of humility and a gentle and quiet disposition, which ought to characterize the devout Catholic, especially a woman.

Another argument against this unseemly practice apertains to the Fifth Commandment, which forbids any unnecessary harming of the body, “the temple of the Holy Spirit”, as St. Paul terms it. Catholic moral theology teaches that by the Principle of Totality, a man or woman is not permitted to authorize the mutilation of the body except for the benefit of the whole body by the Principle of Totality. Mutilation of the body, dear friend, can only ever be justified on the supposition that it is necessary or useful towards obtaining some physical benefit (for example, amputation of a limb to prevent gangrene).

It is frequently said nowadays, that times have changed and that tattoos no longer have their anti-authoritarian unsavoury image. But that is only because our Western culture has sadly become more vulgar and men and women now habitually transgress the boundaries of propriety. This is a monumental tragedy of the first rank. How deeply saddening to see even middle-class girls and women, who supposedly have been well-bred, having hideous tattoos and seemingly being very proud of them. Once again, this only exemplifies how far we have plummeted, especially when you have even Catholic women straining to justify being tattooed. This, dear friend, is so un-lady-like and surely reveals a distinct absence of a “meek and quiet spirit”, to which St. Peter refers in his First Epistle (I Pet. 3: 3,4), indicative of a pious interior character.

It is good to hear, dear friend, that you have decided not to have a tattoo. You have made the correct prudential judgment, which you will not regret in years to come.

God bless.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

Pax
Well said. Unfortunately in youth I did succumb to my worldly outlook and had some tattoos afixed upon me. Fortunately they are mostly hidden wearing even casual attire. I do not recommend geting them as you so aptly stated. Although widely embraced, tattoos present the folly of ourpresent culture when even young women are marred in unsightly areas such as the neck and face.

From paegon tribal cultures to seafaring men, it is sad to see the long history of tattoos evolve into a accepted way of displaying the human body. If you are Christian and feel an absolute need to get one, be wise an get the tattoo in an inconspicuous area.
 
However, dear friend, tattoos undeniably express a certain anti-authoritarian attitude and convey an ostentatiously assertive outlook that is diametrically opposed to a profession of godliness. Even if the tattoos in question are of Catholic symbols, they are, alas, inseparably wedded to an unsavoury and uncouth image and cannot shed this distasteful image. Moreover, tattoos are also a form of brash exhibitionism. . . . .

It is frequently said nowadays, that times have changed and that tattoos no longer have their anti-authoritarian unsavoury image. But that is only because our Western culture has sadly become more vulgar and men and women now habitually transgress the boundaries of propriety.
Good points, Portrait. I’ve always disliked tatoos, though at times I’ve found it difficult to actually *verbalize *the reasons for my distaste. As you’ve mentioned, even good, moral, and respectable people are getting tatoos these days (so previous assumptions/prejudices may not be as accurate as they once were), but I still think they carry a negative symbolism that would do well to be avoided for prudence’s sake.
 
I have a tattoo sleeve of all religious images.

I have virgin Mary face, the last supper and the a dove with the words Veni Sancte Spiritus around my forearm.
I have St Anthony with the baby Jesus, and St Michael the Arc Angle on front and inside of bicep.
I have Jesus with to lambs on out side of upper arm, and to cherubs on tricep. All joined together with clouds and the bible verse Philippians 4:13. I can do all things in him who strengthens me over shoulder to finish off.

The advice I would give anyone is to really think it through, as I know regret mine and hate having it on show at Mass or any Holy place.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top