J
jimmy
Guest
Expensive or cheap is completely subjective and is dependant completely on demand. The price goes up as demand goes up. It is also dependant upon how much I personally value the product. So a guitar might be valuable to me, but not to you. I might be willing to spend a thousand dollars whereas you would only spend 200.May I suggest that one interprets the dollar amount as the number of dollars one has to give to the sales person. Expensive or cheap, legitimate evaluations, refers to the dollar amount on the tag which would be an objective evaluation. However, expensive or cheap can also be a gut reaction which would be subjective.
I can accept that pretty much.One of the meanings of objective is that the information exists outside of oneself. The weather report itself is not a part of person’s natural being. Subjective means that the information comes from within a person’s mind, emotions, memory, etc.
You might be right about why we are disagreeing. I have a problem with combining the terms objective and interpretation. Interpretation implies a personal reading of the subject, which can’t be seperated from my values and experiences. I might see a price tag on a guitar and see that it costs $800. But as soon as I start interpreting that and saying 'that is a lot for an acoustic guitar" I am interpreting and it is all subjective. That is a lot for an acoustic guitar for me, for someone who doesn’t play often in front of other people, and who doesn’t have a lot of money. But for Jimmie Page or some other world class guitarist, that wouldn’t be a lot.The key to the difference between objective interpretation and subjective interpretation is the location of the information one is receiving or reviewing. I probably have a broader understanding of the word interpretation which is most likely why we are on different pages. Chalk that up to my old neighborhood.