Substitutes for the New American Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Peter5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter5

Guest
I’m wondering if a revision of the King James Bible called the “Holy Bible with the Apocryphe” would be sufficent for a substitute for the New American Bible? I asked this on my new reintroduction but just am curious cause its sort of hard to find an braille Bible that isn’t like expensive or something. Xavier Society seems at times to have difficulties as well. Also, what are the differences then between a King James Bible and the New American Bible other than the Apocryphe? The catholics that I ran into just think mainly the apocryphe is the only thing. Maybe this is misinformation but it definitely is the same in the NT that is true right? Then, the OT with those omited books that I want to fully read are the only difference. If this was answered elsewhere, sorry cause it would take much longer using a screen reader and I want this answer as soon as possible to stay on track with RCIA.
 
I don’t know whether you have found this or not, but the USCCB publishes the New American Bible on its website. Hopefully the presentation of it works for a screen reader.

The link is usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml
 
The King James Bible is useful, but it should not be the main Bible used by a Catholic. If it is the only affordable Bible that you can find in Braille, you could use it. The Revised Standard Version would be a better choice, even in the Protestant edition. I think that the RSV is available in braille. You might find it used for a reasonable price.
 
Yikes! Seven hundred dollars!?
I don’t know how much you prefer braille over audio books but you can get the New American Bible in MP3 format on a DVD here.

Welcome home and welcome to the forums.
 
The King James was originally published with the Apocrypha included, though they were sandwiched between the Old and New Testaments. A subsequent printing dropped them. Yes, the New Testament books are the same between the two Bibles. The Apocrypha (not really the right name for this set of books) were removed from the Old Testament. You can buy the King James with the Apocrypha re-inserted (probably the version you mentioned). However, the King James version has more differences than a few books. The translation is not nearly as good, containing a great many errors, I am told. One verse that comes to mind is Job 39:9, which in the King James version mentions unicorns. That’s a pretty big error. In any case, the language of the King James is not easy to understand in many places. You would be better served by a Bible easier to understand.

braillebookstore.com/view.php?C=Bibles

Follow this link, and you will be taken to a website where you can find both the Douay-Rheims and the New American Bible in braille, though they are quite expensive. In the end, if price is truly an obstacle, and the King James is less expensive, then better to have the King James than nothing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top