A
AveSantaMaria
Guest
Sometimes I feel so sorry for the suffering people in this world, the ones in civil war or genocide, the ones who endured the Holocaust and are still recovering, the starving children, mothers, women, and men in Haiti who eat mud because they have no money for food, the faithful priests and religious who must live in the midst of the Catholic Church in chastity. It is not enough to feel sorry as there is very little that I know to do and perhaps I lack strength/courage to do more. And I wonder how a God who loves all of us, even the poor, could give these trials to some. But today I was reading Jesus of Nazareth by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI and was reminded of St. Francis of Assisi, who endured the stigmata. St. Catherine of Siena, St. Padre Pio, and St. Gemma Galgani (honestly I know so little of her that I don’t want to comment) also endured the stigmata. How does that speak to us about the love of Christ in the midst of suffering? If you see a World Happiness Survey, you also find that in some of the poorest countries in the world, the people are among the happiest? What does this mean?