Suicide

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gil_Jones
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you be more specific? Do you want some verses condemning suicide? Or are you thinking along the lines of accounts of suicides, like Judas?
 
Where can I find suicide in the Bible?
Welcome to the forum. The “big ten” you shall not murder. Don’t be quick to condemn, those who commit or attempt to commit suicide will be judged by God not man. I would imagine my merciful God will understand their mental state much better and be much more understanding than we humans.
 
catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9901qq.asp

Maybe this will help.
DOES THE BIBLE FORBID SUICIDE?

Q: My Protestant friend’s wife has attempted suicide twice, and he has come to support her decision to end her life. He says that there is nothing in the Bible that forbids suicide. They have both challenged me to prove otherwise. Help me convince them scripturally that suicide is a sin.

A: Let’s start with Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17—“You shall not kill.” There are numerous other scripture passages that condemn killing, such as Genesis 9:5—“For your lifeblood I will surely require a reckoning: of every beast I will require it and of man”—or Ezekiel 23:7—“Keep far from false charge, and do not slay the innocent and the righteous, for I will not acquit the wicked.”

In the New Testament, Christ takes this command even further when he says, “You have heard it said to men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to the hell of fire.”

But perhaps your friends are not convinced that these passages apply to taking one’s own life. If that is the case, ask them to consider Matthew 22:39, where Christ says that you must love your neighbor as yourself. If loving yourself means that you could kill yourself, then it would follow that you could do the same to your neighbor, and clearly that is condemned.

Instead of encouraging his wife in her desires for suicide, your friend must encourage his wife to live and convince her that he wants her to live and needs her to live. To do otherwise could have eternal consequences on them both.

Jan Wakelin
 
Where can I find suicide in the Bible?
The real sin of suicide is despairing of God’s love and presence. In other words, the suicidal person doubts God loves him/her, and that is a sin.

The scariest part of this is that this may be the unpardonable sin - but I could be in error on this point.
 
2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.
2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.
2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.
2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.
 
The real sin of suicide is despairing of God’s love and presence. In other words, the suicidal person doubts God loves him/her, and that is a sin.

The scariest part of this is that this may be the unpardonable sin - but I could be in error on this point.
It’s number 2 on the big list of sins against the Holy Ghost.
  1. Presumption of God’s mercy
    2. Despair
  2. Resisting the known Christian truth
  3. Envy at another’s spiritual good
  4. Obstinacy in sin
  5. Final impenitence…"
 
It’s number 2 on the big list of sins against the Holy Ghost.
  1. Presumption of God’s mercy
    2. Despair
  2. Resisting the known Christian truth
  3. Envy at another’s spiritual good
  4. Obstinacy in sin
  5. Final impenitence…"
Well, to despair is to lose all hope, perhaps there was a hope that the afterlife would lift the terrible burden they were under. And I don’t think that necessarily presumes upon God’s mercy, but begs for it.
I lost someone very close to me to suicide and I know how much and how long he fought against it.
 
Well, to despair is to lose all hope, perhaps there was a hope that the afterlife would lift the terrible burden they were under. And I don’t think that necessarily presumes upon God’s mercy, but begs for it.
I lost someone very close to me to suicide and I know how much and how long he fought against it.
Very true, calchiquita. I wasn’t making a presumption about whether or not she, or any other prospective suicide would go to Hell or Heaven. I was simply verifying Randy’s original position that true despair, in the theological sense, is a sin and an unpadonable one. I think too often these days that people confuse despair with desperation and depression, clinical or otherwise. Also, I presented the full list, and merely emphasized despair. I wasn’t suggesting that she was guilty of any of the other offenses either.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top