Supporting the immoralityof organisations

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mark1970
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark1970

Guest
Is there a good rule-of-thumb for determining when an organisation’s commitment to immoral practices means that a Catholic can no longer support that organisation? Or is it something thast can only be determined case-by-case?

Let me give an example. In the UK we have the National Lottery, which started in the 1990’s. Some of the money raised by the Lottery is given as grants to organisations which apply and fulfill the required criteria. Many of these are no doubt very worthwhile, and I used to buy a Lottery ticket every week. But a few years ago, a national anti-abortion pressure group published a list of organisations which it claimed were either directly or indirectly supporting abortion or other practices condemned by the Church. On the list were several well-known charities - and the National Lottery, presumably because it had been giving grants of money to organisations following these practices. The pressure group claimed that the organisations on the list shouldn’t be supported by those people who respect human life because of their activities.

I have also heard of other instances where Catholics claim that certain organisations such as businesses should not be supported due to their activities. For example, some say that we shouldn’t support/use Starbucks because they give money to Planned Parenthood. And in the UK it can be difficult to find a pharmacist/drugstore that doesn’t sell contraceptives, etc.

So to get back to my question - is there a ood rule of thumb for determining at what point an organisation’s activities mean that we, as Catholics, should be avoiding them?
 
I’d say this was one of those things where your conscience is the best guide. I believe the right answers are different for different people for this.

Like for example, there is a faithful Catholic pharmacy about 20 miles from me, and I need prescriptions less than once a year, so I try to go there. My parents between them seem to need a prescription 2-3 times a week, and they are less mobile, so even though they live closer to the pharmacy than I do, they really need to go to the (annoying and birth-control-selling) CVS a mile from their home.

I really hate Starbucks’ coffee, so I haven’t faced the Starbucks dilemma. 🙂

It’s really a question of what you personally feel comfortable with. It’s important to be informed about what is happening so you have the data to make your decision, but then it really is your decision.

–Jen
 
Is there a good rule-of-thumb for determining when an organisation’s commitment to immoral practices means that a Catholic can no longer support that organisation? …
If you find one, let me know.

I began giving a monthly check to a group fighting abortion, but I stopped when it became clear that they were using my donation $s to send me more requests for donations.

I used to give a monthly donation to my bishop’s annual appeal, but I stopped when I found out the USCCB was funding ACORN. I’d bet dollars to dog droppings [and hold the stakes in my teeth] that the USCCB inadvertently paid for some abortions through ACORN.

I am currently sending a donation to the Sisters’ Retirement fund, but am having reservations about that since I found out the Sisterhood is spending its money on their favorite Leftist feminist causes instead of taking care of the retired.

I am also sending a monthly check to EWTN since I watch it a lot. I haven’t heard anything bad about them … yet.

So, if you find one, let me know.
 
I was wondering if there is a list of places to avoid, like Starbucks? I too don’t go there because of the taste of their coffee. But now I will just avoid it because of who they support. I for some weird reason thought it was a sin to do something like the lottery.🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top