Swimming?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GUY54685
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GUY54685

Guest
Is skinny dipping in and of itself a sin if you’re alone?
 
In short, no.

If by skinny dipping you mean swimming naked, there is nothing wrong with it per se.

If by skinny dipping you mean swimming naked in a public place with a real chance of getting caught, I’d say it probably is…since it’s likely to be illegal and has the potential to cause scandal.
 
No I meant in a lake or something like that with there’s no chance of getting caught. Is it still ok if it unintentionally causes climax?
 
If you go skinny dipping and it unintentionally causes climax, there is no sin. There is no sin without intent.

But if you know that going skinny dipping may cause climax, you’d better avoid it in the future. You could hardly say you didn’t intend for something to happen if you know that there’s a good chance it may happen.

Does that make sense?
 
It is probably not a good idea if it is leading to someone’s climaxing.
 
What it comes down to is I was skinny dipping by myself knowing I would have the in unintended side effects by did it anyway. There was no lust associated with it whatsoever. I was thinking it couldn’t really be wrong as I recall a story of St. Peter being unclothed in the water and then covering up when Jesus showed up. Obviously there wasn’t bathing suits back then but I digress. I debated with myself of this was harmless fun or something more serious.
 
What it comes down to is I was skinny dipping by myself knowing I would have the in unintended side effects by did it anyway. There was no lust associated with it whatsoever. I was thinking it couldn’t really be wrong as I recall a story of St. Peter being unclothed in the water and then covering up when Jesus showed up. Obviously there wasn’t bathing suits back then but I digress. I debated with myself of this was harmless fun or something more serious.
Well, as said, swimming naked isn’t wrong per se.

The problem here is that you knew about the effect but did it anyway. In this case, can you really say you didn’t intend the side effect? There may well be sin since you knew of this effect and did it anyway. An honest discussion with your confessor would provide more clarity.
 
Im not talking about exbitionism or anything like that, obviously that’s wrong. I was just wondering about this specific situation l
 
Being naked is not a sin.

Doing it in public is.
You, obviously have never served in the military, or at least not in the Navy or Marine Corps, where one does not wear a suit while swimming during boot camp, and where the Showers aboard ship are nothing but 1 large room where up to 50 sailors at a time bathe daily! If anyone didn’t appear nude in the shower, the clad one would be ridiculed off the ship! Then, ocassionaly, a ship will pull into a cove and have swim call. Yes, bathing suits were originally issued to the sailors-but wear them? Ha ha ha ha ha ha…Sinful? I rather doubt it.
 
You, obviously have never served in the military, or at least not in the Navy or Marine Corps, where one does not wear a suit while swimming during boot camp, and where the Showers aboard ship are nothing but 1 large room where up to 50 sailors at a time bathe daily! If anyone didn’t appear nude in the shower, the clad one would be ridiculed off the ship! Then, ocassionaly, a ship will pull into a cove and have swim call. Yes, bathing suits were originally issued to the sailors-but wear them? Ha ha ha ha ha ha…Sinful? I rather doubt it.
That’s not what I meant. I was referring to just walking around in public and going about your daily life like that.
 
Well, as said, swimming naked isn’t wrong per se.

The problem here is that you knew about the effect but did it anyway. In this case, can you really say you didn’t intend the side effect? There may well be sin since you knew of this effect and did it anyway. An honest discussion with your confessor would provide more clarity.
Honestly I did not want the side effect just figured if there’s no lust associated with it then it didn’t matter.
 
Honestly I did not want the side effect just figured if there’s no lust associated with it then it didn’t matter.
It doesn’t need to be lustful to be wrong. Deliberate stimulation/climax is objectively wrong per se, regardless of lustful thoughts. So to engage in an activity that stimulates you to the point of climax, and you know that it has this effect, may be sinful.

You say you didn’t want it. But for such a side effect to be acceptable, you’d need proportionately good reasons for engaging in such activity, and for the side effect to be unavoidable. Surely it is avoidable by wearing swimwear?

Your confessor is the person to discuss this with further.
 
There’s no danger of a climax in Canadian lakes!

Obviously your water is not cold enough:p
 
Even if you’re swimming naked when there’s absolutely no chance of being seen by somebody else, I still wouldn’t advise it.

To quote St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney

source - saintsworks.net/Modesty%20and%20Purity%20-%20Quotations%20Pertaining%20to%20Modesty%20and%20Purity.html
[Mothers], when they are putting on diapers, will leave the babies, for a long period of time, uncovered before everyone. Now even if there is no one present at all, you should not do this. Should you not respect the presence of their Guardian Angels?
I would keep times of being naked limited to situations where there is a productive, logical reason for doing so (ie. changing clothes, showering, etc…). If you’re getting considerable enjoyment from skinny dipping (even if it starts with you just doing it alone), I can’t see it leading to any sort of moral good.
 
Even if you’re swimming naked when there’s absolutely no chance of being seen by somebody else, I still wouldn’t advise it.

To quote St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney

source - saintsworks.net/Modesty%20and%20Purity%20-%20Quotations%20Pertaining%20to%20Modesty%20and%20Purity.html

I would keep times of being naked limited to situations where there is a productive, logical reason for doing so (ie. changing clothes, showering, etc…). If you’re getting considerable enjoyment from skinny dipping (even if it starts with you just doing it alone), I can’t see it leading to any sort of moral good.
The Vianney quote is, my opinion, offensive and scandalous. If guardian angels are offended at the sight of a baby’s bottom, how much more must they be shocked and disturbed at witnessing the act through which the babies came about! We learned in parenting class that a little “Southern exposure” was a great preventative / cure for diaper rash. That an exposed infant bottom could be turned into a moral issue seems to me to be the worst kind of 19th century hyper-moralism and fear of the human body.
 
The Vianney quote is, my opinion, offensive and scandalous. If guardian angels are offended at the sight of a baby’s bottom, how much more must they be shocked and disturbed at witnessing the act through which the babies came about! We learned in parenting class that a little “Southern exposure” was a great preventative / cure for diaper rash. That an exposed infant bottom could be turned into a moral issue seems to me to be the worst kind of 19th century hyper-moralism and fear of the human body.
With respect, accusing a cannonized Saint of giving scandal is a pretty serious thing. These are the people who have made it to heaven and have been held in the highest esteem by the Church as examples for all of us to follow. While the quotes of a Saint aren’t infallible, they come pretty close. As Catholics, we have to give tremendous weight to what the Saints say (much more weight then our own personal opinions).

This quote by St. Jean Marie is certainly not saying that child-birth is a sin or that it’s even a sin to be naked while in the shower, changing clothes, etc… I believe the sin here is the act of being naked “just for the sake of being naked” (when there’s no logical or necessary reason to do so)

While I don’t know much about babies, if it’s medically necessary for a child to be exposed to prevent a rash then I can’t see how this could be sinful either (again, there’s a logical reason for doing so).

I do not believe that skinny-dipping by oneself falls into this category, however, since there is no necessary reason for swimming naked by yourself other then for a personal thrill (and my advice would be to not do it). Like any thrill or pleasure, it’s something that inevitably requires more intense situations to maintain the enjoyment as time goes by which could easily lead such a person into being spotted by others (and this could most definitely be the mortal sin of scandal).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top