Switching from COTT to CITH

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrushedByAngels
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrushedByAngels

Guest
I am considering switching from COTT to in the hand instead… but I have received on the tongue forever. I am worried that I will be so nervous I may accidentally drop the host from my hands (like when I move my hand from underneath to pick up the host from my other hand) The whole reason I want to switch is since most churches do not use patens anymore I am worried the host will drop as it did a few weeks ago when an elderly EMHC gave me COTT. Its getting to the point I don’t even want to go up for communion anymore.
 
I am considering switching from COTT to in the hand instead… but I have received on the tongue forever. I am worried that I will be so nervous I may accidentally drop the host from my hands (like when I move my hand from underneath to pick up the host from my other hand) The whole reason I want to switch is since most churches do not use patens anymore I am worried the host will drop as it did a few weeks ago when an elderly EMHC gave me COTT. Its getting to the point I don’t even want to go up for communion anymore.
Since 1987 I have only received communion on the tongue. Also in 1988 I started to receive it kneeling regardless of whether there was a communion rail. I can understand why you don’t want to receive COTT but I wouldn’t worry about it as it has never happened to me. Perhaps you could receive COTT from someone younger so that if the host drops they can reach down and give it to you on the tongue.
 
Since 1987 I have only received communion on the tongue. Also in 1988 I started to receive it kneeling regardless of whether there was a communion rail. I can understand why you don’t want to receive COTT but I wouldn’t worry about it as it has never happened to me. Perhaps you could receive COTT from someone younger so that if the host drops they can reach down and give it to you on the tongue.
Like I said, the whole thing is making me uncomfortable so I will probably just resign myself to not receiving communion at all… or atleast until they bring the communion rails back and patens as well.
 
Like I said, the whole thing is making me uncomfortable so I will probably just resign myself to not receiving communion at all… or atleast until they bring the communion rails back and patens as well.
What a peculiar position to take.

If I refrained from everything that makes me uncomfortable, then I would never leave the house.
 
What a peculiar position to take.

If I refrained from everything that makes me uncomfortable, then I would never leave the house.
I’m actually considering going to the Anglican Catholic mass to recieve communion because I like their service and their style of worship is exactly like the pre-vatican II mass except in the English language (its the english version of the 1962 roman missal) I know as a RC it is not allowed, but there are no Anglican Use parishes in my area.
 
When I was an Anglican, the altar bread was given on the hand, so I don’t understand what advantage you see in going there.
I don’t remember any paten (but it could be that the Anglican church you have in mind uses one).
 
When I was an Anglican, the altar bread was given on the hand, so I don’t understand what advantage you see in going there.
I don’t remember any paten (but it could be that the Anglican church you have in mind uses one).
Was it an Anglican Catholic Church? They do things exactly like the old traditional latin mass. I like that they have a communion rail and there are no EMHC. An alter server holds the paten while the priests distribute communion. I prefer that style of mass… what can I say 🙂

Doesnt mean I will quit going to the roman mass, I am a daily mass go-er (whenever I can go) anyway so I’ll still be going to the roman mass.
 
**BrushedByAngels,
Your fear of dropping the host seems very extreem.

Why not just take the wine? You would still be getting the complete body and blood of Jesus, but the person distributing the wine would be the one to hold the cup while you take your sip, then you wouldn’t have to worry about a host falling to the floor.

Another idea: why not just place your own hand, palm up and sideways, under your own chin as a backup ? Just seems though, like if your tongue has saliva on it, the host will just stick pretty tight to it on it’s own.**
 
**BrushedByAngels,
Your fear of dropping the host seems very extreem.

Why not just take the wine? You would still be getting the complete body and blood of Jesus, but the person distributing the wine would be the one to hold the cup while you take your sip, then you wouldn’t have to worry about a host falling to the floor.

Another idea: why not just place your own hand, palm up and sideways, under your own chin as a backup ? Just seems though, like if your tongue has saliva on it, the host will just stick pretty tight to it on it’s own.**
They don’t offer the wine at my parish.
 
**BrushedByAngels,
Your fear of dropping the host seems very extreem.

Why not just take the wine? You would still be getting the complete body and blood of Jesus, but the person distributing the wine would be the one to hold the cup while you take your sip, then you wouldn’t have to worry about a host falling to the floor. QUOTE

Really? The chalice is held for you? In a (Roman) Catholic church? Wherever I’ve been, the chalice is handed over to the communicant. so that they can tip it up just as much as they need. Or are you talking about in an Anglican church, where yes, the chalice is tipped up for the person by the deacon or whoever.

(BTW, please, not ‘wine’.) (Unless you are indeed referring to an Anglican church, of course).**
 
There is no reason that receiving communion in the hand should make it more likely that you drop the host than receiving communion on the tongue. In the thousands of instances when a person has received communion in the hand, I don’t recall the host being dropped. Even if it was dropped, you could pick up the (dry!) host and eat it without incident.

It does seem that your concern is extreme – you’d prefer to not receive communion or receive communion in an Anglo-Catholic Church as alternatives? Really?
 
A fear so strong as to send one to another church to receive communion points to an underlying problem (IMHO). What force could be so strong to drive one away from the Body and Blood of Christ? Reference is definitely necessary, but that kind of fear when receiving Our Lord is NOT what Christ ever envisioned when he gave up his body for us. This is not the proper fear of the Lord. Please, make sure you’re in a state of grace and receive in the Catholic Church.

I received on the tongue for a long time. One day, the priest dropped the host on the floor. Whether it was his fault or mine, it didn’t matter to me. From that point onward, I have always received in the hand unless a patent is being used. It’s something I had to get straight in my head. Whether or not we like it, we have to work within what we are given.

Edited to add - The only time I’ve seen the host dropped is when the person was receiving on the tongue. I have no problems with those who wish to receive that way. Without the patent, it’s just not right for ME.
 
Friend, I am deeply troubled that you would consider committing apostasy over your present indecision on how to receive the Eucharist.
 
There is no reason that receiving communion in the hand should make it more likely that you drop the host than receiving communion on the tongue. In the thousands of instances when a person has received communion in the hand, I don’t recall the host being dropped. Even if it was dropped, you could pick up the (dry!) host and eat it without incident.

It does seem that your concern is extreme – you’d prefer to not receive communion or receive communion in an Anglo-Catholic Church as alternatives? Really?
After having the EMHC drop the precious host, makes me nervous now. I was so distracted in thought that he left our Lord on the floor where he could be trampled on, I could not think of anything else… so maybe the effect it had on me was more negative than usual :confused:

I prefer the ACC mass anyway. In comparison, I do not care for the modern mass. Too many people chatting before mass you can no longer pray, etc… I could go on and on…
 
After having the EMHC drop the precious host, makes me nervous now. I was so distracted in thought that he left our Lord on the floor where he could be trampled on, I could not think of anything else… so maybe the effect it had on me was more negative than usual :confused:

I prefer the ACC mass anyway. In comparison, I do not care for the modern mass. Too many people chatting before mass you can no longer pray, etc… I could go on and on…
I wonder why you would continue to go to a Latin Rite Mass then (as mentioned in previous posts). Please don’t misunderstand, I don’t want any of my brothers or sisters to leave the true Church. There seems to be way too much emphasis being put on your feelings. The focus should be God, the sacrifice of Christ being made present for us and not about how one feels for the “modern mass” or the actions of others.

Being worried about our Lord being trampled when dropped by an EMHC is understandable. The more prominent worry should be how our sins trample our Lord. It happens much more often than the host falling to the ground.
 
I wonder why you would continue to go to a Latin Rite Mass then (as mentioned in previous posts). Please don’t misunderstand, I don’t want any of my brothers or sisters to leave the true Church. There seems to be way too much emphasis being put on your feelings. The focus should be God, the sacrifice of Christ being made present for us and not about how one feels for the “modern mass” or the actions of others.

Being worried about our Lord being trampled when dropped by an EMHC is understandable. The more prominent worry should be how our sins trample our Lord. It happens much more often than the host falling to the ground.
All I said was that I preferred the format of the pre-Vatican II Celebration of the Eucharist (Anglican Use would be preferred) and feel more comfortable receiving Communion in that reverent environment… When I go to the Latin Rite mass now its changed so much I could not even pray the rosary because of everyone is chatting. They see me and clearly see what I am doing but it looks like it has become a social day at the country club! Good grief :eek: Maybe that type of environment is fine with you. Well its not for me.

I have not decided to leave the RCC.
 
All I said was that I preferred the format of the pre-Vatican II Celebration of the Eucharist (Anglican Use would be preferred) and feel more comfortable receiving Communion in that reverent environment… When I go to the Latin Rite mass now its changed so much I could not even pray the rosary because of everyone is chatting. They see me and clearly see what I am doing but it looks like it has become a social day at the country club! Good grief :eek: Maybe that type of environment is fine with you. Well its not for me.

I have not decided to leave the RCC.
There are no Tridentine (Extraordinary form) Masses around you? That’s certainly my preference, though I’m a Traditionalist stuck in the NO due to circumstances. 😦
 
All I said was that I preferred the format of the pre-Vatican II Celebration of the Eucharist (Anglican Use would be preferred) and feel more comfortable receiving Communion in that reverent environment… When I go to the Latin Rite mass now its changed so much I could not even pray the rosary because of everyone is chatting. They see me and clearly see what I am doing but it looks like it has become a social day at the country club! Good grief :eek: Maybe that type of environment is fine with you. Well its not for me.

I have not decided to leave the RCC.
That is not all you have said. You said,
I’m actually considering going to the Anglican Catholic mass to receive communion because I like their service and their style of worship is exactly like the pre-vatican II mass except in the English language (its the english version of the 1962 roman missal) I know as a RC it is not allowed, but there are no Anglican Use parishes in my area.
Do you really think that is an appropriate and reasonable response? To receive communion in another church and risk mortal sin?

My response (you quoted) was directed at your statement about liking an Anglican church better. Leaving isn’t the answer. Correct the people around you with Christian charity if it bothers you. So many people today decide to leave instead of affecting change.

I’m only offering you my opinion, which I assumed you wanted opinions by posting on a public forum.
 
I am going to join the chorus here…do not go to an Anglican “Mass.” It is not a Mass, they have no Eucharist, for their sacraments are invalid as Rome has continuously made clear. You would be committing apostasy and idolatry at such a place, if you thought that you were receiving Christ substantially present in the Eucharist.
 
I am considering switching from COTT to in the hand instead… but I have received on the tongue forever. Its getting to the point I don’t even want to go up for communion anymore.
Dear Brushed: Look: if you leave what are the rest of us who feel exactly as you to do? In the immortal words of an unknown (but scrupulously honest) Rastaman from the 1980’s “Ja no be God. God be God.”

Just so with the Church. “Anglican no be Catholic. Catholic be Catholic!”

There is no law preventing us from asking the priest for an altar rail. Or for the altar boy to polish his paten. Or for a service where these things are used, at least sometimes. Or for complaining to the bishop.

Silence is not a good choice here. If you don’t feel that the Blessed Sacrament is being distributed with adequate care, which reflects reverence, speak up. What can they do? When they get enough complaints, they will replace the rails, the patens, and the rest.

If you go to the Anglican service long enough, you are going to feel pressure to join. Which is why you should not go, at least regularly. Drive to a TLM instead, even if you only go once every couple of months. I used to have to do that, and called it “going back to the well.”

Hang tough!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top