N
NPC
Guest
I’m just wondering if anyone here has had experience of a parish switching from Holy Mass celebration versus populum to ad orientem.
In my cathedral church at the moment there is major restoration work taking place in the nave and so the congregation cannot sit there at the moment. The cathedral is cruciform in shape with the high altar under the dome; hence there are pews facing the altar on all four sides. Because of the work that’s going on this week, everything on the altar has been reversed so that the priest now has his back to the main body of the church (since no one can sit there anyway). I know strictly speaking it’s not an ad orientem celebration of the Mass as the altar has been reversed precisely so as the priest will be facing the people, but I can just see that there is so much beauty in the Mass being celebrated this way (I normally sit in the nave). On the wall that the priest currently faces there is a huge and beautiful mosaic of the Crucifixion, which I think could only heighten the devotion of the celebrant during Mass…
Anyway, I’d like this to be the norm for the celebration of the Holy Mass, so I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with a priest switching from versus populum to ad orientem. What was the reaction of the people? Has it caught on in other parishes? Is there a different - maybe more reverential - atmosphere during the sacred liturgy? Comments most welcome!
By the way, I’ve just read a small booklet called “The Catholic Sanctuary & the Second Vatican Council” by Michael Davies and published by TAN books. It is a most interesting read, showing that Vatican II never ordered the reordering of sanctuaries or the smashing of beautiful high altars. I’m becoming more and more convinced that ad orientem celebration of the Holy Mass is the way to go in most cases…
In my cathedral church at the moment there is major restoration work taking place in the nave and so the congregation cannot sit there at the moment. The cathedral is cruciform in shape with the high altar under the dome; hence there are pews facing the altar on all four sides. Because of the work that’s going on this week, everything on the altar has been reversed so that the priest now has his back to the main body of the church (since no one can sit there anyway). I know strictly speaking it’s not an ad orientem celebration of the Mass as the altar has been reversed precisely so as the priest will be facing the people, but I can just see that there is so much beauty in the Mass being celebrated this way (I normally sit in the nave). On the wall that the priest currently faces there is a huge and beautiful mosaic of the Crucifixion, which I think could only heighten the devotion of the celebrant during Mass…
Anyway, I’d like this to be the norm for the celebration of the Holy Mass, so I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with a priest switching from versus populum to ad orientem. What was the reaction of the people? Has it caught on in other parishes? Is there a different - maybe more reverential - atmosphere during the sacred liturgy? Comments most welcome!
By the way, I’ve just read a small booklet called “The Catholic Sanctuary & the Second Vatican Council” by Michael Davies and published by TAN books. It is a most interesting read, showing that Vatican II never ordered the reordering of sanctuaries or the smashing of beautiful high altars. I’m becoming more and more convinced that ad orientem celebration of the Holy Mass is the way to go in most cases…